[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Ask any knowledgeable football fan to list the top 10 biggest clubs in England and Forest would always be on that list. As they sang at the Amex a few seasons back “You’re only here for the Forest” (we weren’t, we were there to watch BHA, but you get the idea)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ask any knowledgeable football fan to list the top 10 biggest clubs in England and Forest would always be on that list. As they sang at the Amex a few seasons back “You’re only here for the Forest” (we weren’t, we were there to watch BHA, but you get the idea)

Surely depends on what criteria you're using? Forest had a golden 6/7 year spell but hadn't done too much outside that period. I'll be intrigued to see which clubs you included in your top 1)!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He’s probably going ballistic in Hooters as we speak with a substantial onion ring tower, until 10pm anyway.

A Whitehall sauce did however tell me the covid Tier system is a massive smoke scream and it’s a ruse to ease Chris into his new surroundings safely.

All the best Chris, but please relax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do you not think if our ground held 40k we wouldn't get that most weeks?

Norwich are very good at getting fans in from all over the county and that is something we could still learn from despite our advances on that front in recent years. It's a fine city as is Brighton. I think they are a well run club with a good support I just think we are too...

We are, no debating that. Norwich have the edge on us I’d say.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn’t knock Chris if he said what w@s reported one the opening post because Forest are a big club. Struggling at the back and they’ll never win the champions League but the point is they HAVE in the past so bugging us up too much is silly ........Hughton didn’t compare.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Surely depends on what criteria you're using? Forest had a golden 6/7 year spell but hadn't done too much outside that period. I'll be intrigued to see which clubs you included in your top 1)!

Only 5 English clubs have ever won the European Cup, Forest back to back, and for me that usurps any argument about their overall history,, but I totally agree that it’s obviously dependent on the individual’s subjective criteria.

Number 1) honestly no idea.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Dunno about that. Maybe in England, but if you are below 50 and living elsewhere in the world... not sure a lot would have them on their list. It all depends on the criterias though. Are they a top 10 club counted in nice trophys etc? Most likely. Top 10 in being "well-known" etc? More questionable.

Probably varies from country to country but in Sweden (and possibly Scandinavia) I would say these are the teams with most supporters:

1. Liverpool
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester City
6. Aston Villa
7. Tottenham
8. Everton
9. Leeds
10. Wolverhampton

But then again.. "global support" is just one of many criterias you could use to decide the biggest clubs.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Dunno about that. Maybe in England, but if you are below 50 and living elsewhere in the world... not sure a lot would have them on their list. It all depends on the criterias though. Are they a top 10 club counted in nice trophys etc? Most likely. Top 10 in being "well-known" etc? More questionable.

Probably varies from country to country but in Sweden (and possibly Scandinavia) I would say these are the teams with most supporters:

1. Liverpool
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester City
6. Aston Villa
7. Tottenham
8. Everton
9. Leeds
10. Wolverhampton

But then again.. "global support" is just one of many criterias you could use to decide the biggest clubs.

They beat Malmo for one of them :wink:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I wouldn’t knock Chris if he said what w@s reported one the opening post because Forest are a big club. Struggling at the back and they’ll never win the champions League but the point is they HAVE in the past so bugging us up too much is silly ........Hughton didn’t compare.

The City Ground has had the European Cup paraded twice. Twice. You have to respect that. Same for Villa Park.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Our home crowds are roughly the same, historically Norwich’s have been a lot bigger. If/when they get chance to expand, they’d easily sell another 10k probably more. Fine city. Cracking ground. Great fans. Big club. Well, bigger than we are, to date anyway.

I've always thought that we were about on par with Norwich

Even knowing they won the League Cup in the 80s and beat Bayern Munich away

We came close to winning the Championship

Norwich have won it 4 times

We need to be successful on the pitch aswell as off it

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

1. Liverpool
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Manchester City
6. Aston Villa
7. Tottenham
8. Everton
9. Leeds
10. Wolverhampton

This epitomises subjective
Relative to each of our own perspectives and views

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I've always thought that we were about on par with Norwich

Even knowing they won the League Cup in the 80s and beat Bayern Munich away

We came close to winning the Championship

Norwich have won it 4 times

We need to be successful on the pitch aswell as off it

That end of season piss up Still rankles
That title we gifted the Toon was ours for the taking
No one recalls the second place team

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Went with a Forest-supporting friend to one of their first home games last season against Birmingham (finished 2-2, good game in parts and some quality flare action by the Birmingham fans when they scored :smile: )

Anyway...........Birmingham spent a lot of the game reminding their Midland neighbours of the fact that they live in the past (a la Villa) and aren't big anymore (which they aren't in my opinion)

Everyone bangs on about the past in football, but it is the here and now (and future) that counts to me more.

So, are they a big club? Not so much anymore, ask most under 25s who don't t live in the area or support them and they'll say the same I think. Anyone who remembers that as a decent Premier league club and even further back as European champions will probably say differently.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Went with a Forest-supporting friend to one of their first home games last season against Birmingham (finished 2-2, good game in parts and some quality flare action by the Birmingham fans when they scored :smile: )

Anyway...........Birmingham spent a lot of the game reminding their Midland neighbours of the fact that they live in the past (a la Villa) and aren't big anymore (which they aren't in my opinion)

Everyone bangs on about the past in football, but it is the here and now (and future) that counts to me more.

So, are they a big club? Not so much anymore, ask most under 25s who don't t live in the area or support them and they'll say the same I think. Anyone who remembers that as a decent Premier league club and even further back as European champions will probably say differently.

My old man always used to say

It's better to of had it and lost it

As opposed to never having it at all

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
2 x European Cup winners.

Bigger than Leeds & Villa.

No.

Leeds are bigger. Three league titles in three different decades. Forest barely won a thing until Clough turned up and have never come close to winning anything since.

Jose Mourinho said it all. "I walked all the way [around the city] and when I saw the stadium I thought: 'Are you kidding me - this club won the European Cup? Twice?'

"It was a nice stadium and a nice city, but it was a small place. It was the size of the stadium that really took me aback.

"A small stadium, a small crowd - I looked around and tried to take it in."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports