Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The announcement was acutally about the cardboard cut outs, and the title is a direct quote from Houghton

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that the title is a quote from Hughton. Although, I don't think anyone who knows much about football could argue that Forest are not a big club - they quite clearly are! So find it surprising anyone would even question it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He's managed mostly big clubs to be fair to him. The threads out there so here is the difinitive list of teams he's managed in size order

1) Spurs ( caretaker )
2) Newcastle
3) Forest
4 ) Birmingham
5 ) Norwich
6) Brighton

Was a tight call between 4th and 5th

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sure he didn't say "These are a big club'?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He's right, they are a big club.

I think you've got a poor, and wrong, opinion of Hughton if you think that's a dig at us. Hughton is so much better than that.
I think you would have to be in The Leeds United deluded club to imagine Forest are not a big club. No one surely connected to our club would think otherwise would they?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He's managed mostly big clubs to be fair to him. The threads out there so here is the difinitive list of teams he's managed in size order

1) Spurs ( caretaker )
2) Newcastle
3) Forest
4 ) Birmingham
5 ) Norwich
6) Brighton

Completely agree and so would the majority of our fans/ supporters.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I don't doubt that the title is a quote from Hughton. Although, I don't think anyone who knows much about football could argue that Forest are not a big club - they quite clearly are! So find it surprising anyone would even question it.

1) Spurs ( caretaker )
2) Newcastle
3) Forest
4 ) Birmingham
5 ) Norwich
6) Brighton

I think Birmingham City are a much bigger club than Norwich. I don't think we're far behind the Canaries to be honest.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't think Birmingham or Norwich are bigger than us. I'd say we're about the same. Crowdwise we are bigger than both currently. Historically yes, but we are now around where are potential says we should've been all along,

I'd say there are only 10/12 clubs in the country significantly larger than we are. And about 20 around the same size. Things ebb and flow in that regard hence the never ending arguments :D

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think Birmingham or Norwich are bigger than us. I'd say we're about the same. Crowdwise we are bigger than both currently. Historically yes, but we are now around where are potential says we should've been all along,

I'd say there are only 10/12 clubs in the country significantly larger than we are. And about 20 around the same size. Things ebb and flow in that regard hence the never ending arguments :D

Counted in revenue, number of employees, current status etc, Brighton is most likely bigger than any club in the lower divisions.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Of course they are

I dont think they are a BIG club. But it does depend on how 'big' is defined. I always think of big is in size of Stadium and fan base primarily, not just trophies, onfield success or present league pyramid place.

If the Man city owners bought Whitehawk, spent crazy billions and 10 years later won some major trophies. Does that make them a big club?

If its on historical domination/success are Preston a big club?

Id argue Forest are a previously successful decent/average sized club, like many in that 30k size bracket. More successful than us in their past, but not bigger today as a club imho.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I dont think they are a BIG club. But it does depend on how 'big' is defined. I always think of big is in size of Stadium and fan base primarily, not just trophies, onfield success or present league pyramid place.

If the Man city owners bought Whitehawk, spent crazy billions and 10 years later won some major trophies. Does that make them a big club?

If its on historical domination/success are Preston a big club?

Id argue Forest are a previously successful decent/average sized club, like many in that 30k size bracket. More successful than us in their past, but not bigger today as a club imho.

I think a lot of it stems from them being the biggest club in one if the biggest cities in England - 9th largest - which when put together with the profile they gained during the European Cup runs, the Clough years, the start of the Premier league, some top top players makes them undeniably big. If in 50 years they still haven't made it back to the premier league they will have slipped down to Preston levels, but for my generation and everyone older than me certainly they are a sleeping giant.

Are there any 'big clubs' not from a big city?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Forest have a 'big history' but their general 'bigness' has declined over many years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any club that has won the equivalent of the Champion’s League twice is a big club in my eyes. Leeds put themselves forward as a big club and how many times have they won it? City? Arsenal? Chelsea? Nope they haven’t done as well as Forest

Forest have played 20 games in the equivalent of the Champion’s League and won it twice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here