Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chris Hughton: 'It’s a good feeling to be the manager of a big club'

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Forest have a 'big history' but their general 'bigness' has declined over many years.

I think that can be said for quite a few clubs, which just usually makes me wonder about the validity of whether a club is 'big' or not. We weren't but are getting bigger in recent years, whereas the Forest, Wednesdays etc of the world used to be huge, but have fallen on tougher times.

I guess it depends on the age of people too and what they remember.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He's getting the band back together... Bet Glenn is wishing he'd held out for a call from Chris.

[tweet]1316767924296855554[/tweet]

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I dont think they are a BIG club. But it does depend on how 'big' is defined. I always think of big is in size of Stadium and fan base primarily, not just trophies, onfield success or present league pyramid place.

If the Man city owners bought Whitehawk, spent crazy billions and 10 years later won some major trophies. Does that make them a big club?

If its on historical domination/success are Preston a big club?

Id argue Forest are a previously successful decent/average sized club, like many in that 30k size bracket. More successful than us in their past, but not bigger today as a club imho.

whitehawk no , but maybe after 50 years yes ( if the below is ticked )
Preston are big yes

IMO its trophies won , years in top flight , current support , historical support , current history ie last 10 years and total history

weighed up across those things

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is incredible to think that it is 21 years since Forest were last in the Prem when their boss was Big Ron Atkinson. Anyone under 25 will not remember them in the top flight.

I remember when I was 16 when Massive got promoted back into the old Division 1 after a 14-year absence and I remember thinking what all the fuss was about. Who ARE Sheffield Wednesday?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think Birmingham or Norwich are bigger than us. I'd say we're about the same. Crowdwise we are bigger than both currently. Historically yes, but we are now around where are potential says we should've been all along,

I'd say there are only 10/12 clubs in the country significantly larger than we are. And about 20 around the same size. Things ebb and flow in that regard hence the never ending arguments :D

Both are way bigger than us. Silverware, years in top flight, crowds, players...**** me, the list is endless. Just because our capacity is 2-3k bigger currently. Plus the people who own the season tickets at Carrow Rd turn up each week. Nah, sorry, but any argument you try that we’re ‘bigger’ than either of these two is going to make you look foolish. We just aren’t, not by a long shot. If we win something and spend another 10-15 years in the top flight then you might have a case. Right now, we’re not even bigger than Wigan, Cov, Wimbledon never mind Brum and East Anglias finest.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
It is incredible to think that it is 21 years since Forest were last in the Prem when their boss was Big Ron Atkinson. Anyone under 25 will not remember them in the top flight.

I remember when I was 16 when Massive got promoted back into the old Division 1 after a 14-year absence and I remember thinking what all the fuss was about. Who ARE Sheffield Wednesday?

Bloody hell, has it been that long?! I am genuinely shocked by that.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Were a big club. Not a big club right now.

• Won the European Cup over 40 years ago.
  • Runners up in the FA Cup and League Cup almost 30 years ago.
  • Out of the top flight for 21 years.
  • Most recent honour "2nd in League One", in 2007/08.
  • Average attendance last season less than 22,000.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Both are way bigger than us. Silverware, years in top flight, crowds, players...**** me, the list is endless. Just because our capacity is 2-3k bigger currently. Plus the people who own the season tickets at Carrow Rd turn up each week. Nah, sorry, but any argument you try that we’re ‘bigger’ than either of these two is going to make you look foolish. We just aren’t, not by a long shot. If we win something and spend another 10-15 years in the top flight then you might have a case. Right now, we’re not even bigger than Wigan, Cov, Wimbledon never mind Brum and East Anglias finest.

For once I agree with your sentiment. With the exception of the players comment, which was unnecessary.

Being at the top table doesn't mean anything.
Sadly neither does having the infrastructure that Tony has provided.

Until these advantages start producing star players and results on the pitch and genuine glory for the club, we will remain little old Brighton. to the wider footballing community.
However our potential to be achieve that level is significantly larger than the clubs you mention.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'd be a bit peeved if I was a Bristol City fan, but then I'd look at the table and think **** it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For once I agree with your sentiment. With the exception of the players comment, which was unnecessary.

Being at the top table doesn't mean anything.
Sadly neither does having the infrastructure that Tony has provided.

Until these advantages start producing star players and results on the pitch and genuine glory for the club, we will remain little old Brighton. to the wider footballing community.
However our potential to be achieve that level is significantly larger than the clubs you mention.

Unnecessary? What was 'unnecessary' (strange choice of word!) about citing players as comparative analysis?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Were a big club. Not a big club right now.

• Won the European Cup over 40 years ago.
  • Runners up in the FA Cup and League Cup almost 30 years ago.
  • Out of the top flight for 21 years.
  • Most recent honour "2nd in League One", in 2007/08.
  • Average attendance last season less than 22,000.

Comparisons of clubs is always subjective, but most use the timeline of a clubs entire history and Forest are most definitely a big club having won the European Cup. Twice. In the lifetimes of most posters on this board too!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Big club means precisely f*** all

The only people who care about whether a club is big or not are sad fans living in the past.

Fortunately those that rescued us back in the 90s didn't share your view or we wouldn't be a 'big club' now.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Big club means precisely f*** all

The only people who care about whether a club is big or not are sad fans living in the past.

Correct. It’s history.

People need to get over it. Or do these people also think Preston North End are still a big club as well?

Really is quite shocking sometimes how there’s some here so quick to run us down as a club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You think Norwich and Birmingham have better players than us or can attract better players than us?

Clearly not at the moment, but over 120+ years, yes they've generally had more stella names.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Comparisons of clubs is always subjective, but most use the timeline of a clubs entire history and Forest are most definitely a big club having won the European Cup. Twice. In the lifetimes of most posters on this board too!

So by this uber scientific measure the mighty FC Steaua Bucuresti are a bigger club than Spurs, Arsenal, Bayer Leverkusen, PSG and Valencia?

Cool! This is fun.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Historically they were big and would provide England with quite a few internationals. Time has moved on though, like with other once "big" clubs like Sheffield Wednesday. These days they are a solid Championship team but I'd imagine a promotion would see the return of sell out crowds at their stadium.

Are they a big club right now? No, but they do have the potential to improve. I can't ever see them getting back into Europe again though unless they can attract an owner similar to those at Manchester City or Chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here