Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Hebdo - merged

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whats the solution though, ridding the place of muslims?

That's the solution if you're as thick as a brick. Remove region and people will still kill each other in the name of X,Y and Z. Religion isn't the problem. People are the problem.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
A shocking attack on free speech. This isnt an attack by an entire religion, but 2 extremists shaming other muslims. We may not always agree with what the media print and say, but they have the right to which is one of the main pillars of society.

Some shocking images and video online, including a video of the 2 killers walking calmly up to an injured policeman lying on the pavement and just simply executed him - then walked back to the car they hijacked and drove off. This car was later abandoned and they then hijacked another car.

Shocking.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why on earth was this cartoon published in the first place? It was asking for trouble. That said, what has happened is appalling. we live n troubled times.
Maybe it was a terrible idea to publish this cartoon. However, if i as a person with Christian views are offended or consider something Muslims do, to be blasphemous, i don't have any right to resort to violence as some kind of meting out God's justice. I support anyone's right to believe or even say things against my religion even though in some cases there is nothing more than hatred or nastiness involved. This attack is an attack on our whole way of life, freedom of speech and thought. Europe has the enlightenment which is now in danger of being eroded away by religious extremists.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just about as appalling as it gets. The attack on the twin towers killed 3,000 but then costs the lives of about a million muslims because of the reprisal attacks by the west in the Middle East. This outrage has killed 12 people so far but I fear the revenge attacks in France and elsewhere will take many more lives than that.

i think it shocks people because it exposes our vulnerability, people doing their normal daily routines being shot with automatic weapons. We've always been aware of the risk in public arenas, transport etc but this is relatively new to us in the West. I understand your broader point though, and accept that sympathy in parts of the middle east may be limited.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why on earth was this cartoon published in the first place? It was asking for trouble. That said, what has happened is appalling. we live n troubled times.

Are you seriously suggesting that the press and indeed everyone should pander to the extreme rantings of a small number of ideologists who follow an outdated (made up?) belief system from the middle ages.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just a normal working day in the office, then being called out by name and executed by masked gunmen - horrific.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When I saw this thread I did wonder if this Charlie chap might be the striker we were after. Clearly not :(

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Surprised by Sky News showing, albeit pixilated, footage of policeman being shot dead while lying injured in the street.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Surprised by Sky News showing, albeit pixilated, footage of policeman being shot dead while lying injured in the street.

This is the channel which went through belongings of a child killed in the MH17 crash/shooting down in Ukraine remember, it isnt surprising.

BBC are showing the video, but only after the execution and not at all showing the murdered officer.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I wonder where this will end, how much further can it go? I suppose there's no way of stopping these individuals from extremist groups doing things like this, got to think an attack here is coming now.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
It is called freedom of expression. Do you want to live in a world with even more censorship than there already is ?

In an ideal world things like this could be published BUT this is not an ideal world. Try standing in the middle of the Kop end and poke fun at what happened at Hillsborough and see what happens to you. Please don't get the impression that I support those who carried out this awful crime as I certainly don't but as i said before, it was asking for trouble. Poke a finger into a hornet's nest and you are going to get stung.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's the solution if you're as thick as a brick. Remove region and people will still kill each other in the name of X,Y and Z. Religion isn't the problem. People are the problem.

Its a poor effort to try and distance a religion from current atrocities, its inextricably linked to religion more recently predominately Islam, to ignore it is being as thick as a brick.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I wonder where this will end, how much further can it go? I suppose there's no way of stopping these individuals from extremist groups doing things like this, got to think an attack here is coming now.

The Wizard, this will only get worse and we will have an attack in this country again and possibly on the same scale as today and possibly worse, it is only a matter of time. This will not go away in the foreseeable future especially with home grown "trained" soldiers or jihad-est feckwits returning from various conflicts around the middle east and beyond.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Just about all public pronouncements on the matter from Ministers, senior Police officers and the security services say that another attack in the UK is inevitable. Great work is done all the time to try to prevent such an attack, but the terrorists only need to get "lucky" once.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Its a poor effort to try and distance a religion from current atrocities, its inextricably linked to religion more recently predominately Islam, to ignore it is being as thick as a brick.

As is implying that the actions of the few reflect the many. For instance, no one believes the Westbrough Baptist Church or the KKK represent Christianity so why on Earth do we think lunatics like this represent Islam?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

It involves religion, yes, but it isnt the main issue. It is how these people are interpreting religion in extreme ways. ALL religions have extremists - simple as that and not all religious people have the same beliefs as extremists. Regardless of beliefs, the gunman are terrorists.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Journalists / cartoonists Charb (Stéphane Charbonnier), Cabu (Jean Cabut), Georges Wolinski and Tignous (Bernard Verlhac) - reportedly all shot dead. :(

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As is implying that the actions of the few reflect the many. For instance, no one believes the Westbrough Baptist Church or the KKK represent Christianity so why on Earth do we think lunatics like this represent Islam?

Qur'an (33:57) - "Lo! those who malign Allah and His messenger, Allah hath cursed them in this world and the Hereafter, and hath prepared for them the doom of the disdained"

Qur'an (33:61) - [continues from above] "Accursed, they will be seized wherever found and slain with a (fierce) slaughter."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here