Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cardiff swoon over Noone

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But started this season in the starting eleven on merit and in exceptional form............................
Due to sick noteism.

But you are right he stayed there on form.
I was pleased he was starting to look like the player he should be.

But like many wasn't convinced it was a long term thing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Buckley
Lua Lua
Vicente
Orlandi
Lopez

Can all play wide, we have riches in those positions, looking forward to see what Lopez can do- he's played at the top level in Spain for most of his career so he should be exciting.

Noone has gone, he was great but wasn't going to single handedly get us promoted, move on.

The BBC report:-

Peter Whittingham's wonderful hat-trick led Cardiff City to victory in response to an early Wolves opener.

Bakary Sako marked his Championship debut with a cracking low free-kick to put the visitors ahead.

Cardiff responded in a minute when Whittingham converted a penalty won by outstanding debutant Craig Noone.

Three minutes later, Whittingham finished a swift counter attack from the edge of the Wolves area and then curled a free-kick into the top corner.

The midfielder's third - giving him second career hat-trick for Cardiff - was the pick of the goals as he found the top corner by lifting the ball over the defensive wall.

Cardiff's fans have grown accustomed to Whittingham's classy left-foot, but they were treated to a mouth-watering introduction from new singing Noone.

The winger, who joined from Brighton and Hove Albion on Thursday, was a constant menace with his pace and trickery.

Such was his impact on the left wing, Cardiff hardly felt the absence of Craig Bellamy through injury.

But it was another new face to strike first in a pulsating opening as Sako drilled a low free-kick past goalkeeper David Marshall on 10 minutes.

Noone's first telling contribution followed almost immediately when he tempted Ronald Zubar into a rash challenge inside his own area.

Whittingham dispatched the penalty straight down the middle to open his account for the season.

Cardiff then turned defence into attack in a flash to take the lead to stun the visitors.

Another Cardiff debutant, Nicky Maynard, was involved before Whittingham fired low into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Wolves, who have recorded just two wins in their last 28 league games, enjoyed some midfield dominance after the break.

But they failed to engineer clear openings and Whittingham's glorious third 25 minutes from time ended all hopes of a comeback.

BBC Sport - Cardiff 3-1 Wolves

Good to see that the lad treated the Cardiff fans to some singing.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I found Poyets comments interesting in his pre match to Burnley. Basically saying that after Cardiff came in the first time, the boys head was turned and it was going to be difficult to keep him if they (Cardiff) came back.
So Poyet held out, got Orlandi (did the deal), and let Noone go. I think it was good business and also I think we have replaced him with better.

Good luck though Nooney!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The BBC report:-

Peter Whittingham's wonderful hat-trick led Cardiff City to victory in response to an early Wolves opener.

Bakary Sako marked his Championship debut with a cracking low free-kick to put the visitors ahead.

Cardiff responded in a minute when Whittingham converted a penalty won by outstanding debutant Craig Noone.

Three minutes later, Whittingham finished a swift counter attack from the edge of the Wolves area and then curled a free-kick into the top corner.

The midfielder's third - giving him second career hat-trick for Cardiff - was the pick of the goals as he found the top corner by lifting the ball over the defensive wall.

Cardiff's fans have grown accustomed to Whittingham's classy left-foot, but they were treated to a mouth-watering introduction from new singing Noone.

The winger, who joined from Brighton and Hove Albion on Thursday, was a constant menace with his pace and trickery.

Such was his impact on the left wing, Cardiff hardly felt the absence of Craig Bellamy through injury.

But it was another new face to strike first in a pulsating opening as Sako drilled a low free-kick past goalkeeper David Marshall on 10 minutes.

Noone's first telling contribution followed almost immediately when he tempted Ronald Zubar into a rash challenge inside his own area.

Whittingham dispatched the penalty straight down the middle to open his account for the season.

Cardiff then turned defence into attack in a flash to take the lead to stun the visitors.

Another Cardiff debutant, Nicky Maynard, was involved before Whittingham fired low into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

Wolves, who have recorded just two wins in their last 28 league games, enjoyed some midfield dominance after the break.

But they failed to engineer clear openings and Whittingham's glorious third 25 minutes from time ended all hopes of a comeback.

BBC Sport - Cardiff 3-1 Wolves

Good to see that the lad treated the Cardiff fans to some singing.

I wonder if Cardiff would have given us Whittingham for a million?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Due to sick noteism.

But like many wasn't convinced it was a long term thing.

Agree with that. Nooney is best when he has freedom just to run (mostly head down :lol) without needing to worry about the end result too much. If we'd had a big target man some of his crosses would have found a target by the law of averages but not by reason of accuracy. That isn't where he can win you games and nor is his shooting unless the ball hits someone and diverts in!

Wolves got caught out today by his cross field running which is his absolute strength but most sides will see him and either force him out wide or take him out early so he doesn't win free kicks in such dangerous positions.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Judge Nooney once he played 5 or 6 consecutive games, love the guy to bits, bit not convinced personally.

Lua Lua, Buckley, Orlandi and Lopez are all better in my opinion.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Judge Nooney once he played 5 or 6 consecutive games, love the guy to bits, bit not convinced personally.

Well it's very true that he should be judged over a period of games....players always like to shine on there first game.....as regards to whether he is not as good as Lua Lua et al is no longer relevant...exciting times ahead for the Albion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if Cardiff would have given us Whittingham for a million?

But Whittingham is an established Championship- borderline Premier League standard midfielder, with several years of being the outstanding player at that club behind him. Noone has had one season, during which he didn't always play every week. He's decent, but it's all about potential isn't it, not achievements to date.

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010

Is that the Orlandi and Lopez you haven't seen play yet, and are claiming are better than Noone?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But started this season in the starting eleven on merit and in exceptional form............................

Now you see, here's the thing. He started in the XI due to injuries, and technically speaking, he started the season in quite dreadful form. If you think he's been exemplary, then you obviously didn't go to Swindon, where he was utterly hopeless. I gave up counting how many attempted crosses sailed dismally out of play for goal kicks or throw ins.

Splitting hairs, of course, as he was good against (surprise!) Cardiff and not bad against Burnley, but it's not accurate to say he's been consistently excellent so far this time round.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not surprised he's started well. I remember him really impressing when he joined us. Thing is he isn't consistent enough.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Sounds as if he had a great debut. Very pleased for him. I'm sure he'll contribute an awful lot to their promotion push. Our loss I fear !

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I loved Nooney but after a while it got a little frustrating that he so totally lacked a final ball.
I wish him all the best with Cardiff but believe after a few months they will start to feel the same.
I feel it was a good bit of business from us with Orlandi coming in who in my eyes is more of a prospect than Noone.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Why don't some of the tits on here realise that it is all down to confidence. Nooney's was at a low, since last seasons injury, until very recently. Do you honestly think that Cardiff haven't had him watched on a regular basis. He has great talent and will only get better. Now he's had a positive debut, he will go from strength to strength. How many on here were prepared to write CMS off for the same reason? He has his confidence back, and it shows.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Now you see, here's the thing. He started in the XI due to injuries, and technically speaking, he started the season in quite dreadful form. If you think he's been exemplary, then you obviously didn't go to Swindon, where he was utterly hopeless. I gave up counting how many attempted crosses sailed dismally out of play for goal kicks or throw ins.

Splitting hairs, of course, as he was good against (surprise!) Cardiff and not bad against Burnley, but it's not accurate to say he's been consistently excellent so far this time round.

He was good at Hull too IMO.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Ha ha. You have a point. I was at Swindon............... I just assumed he had been given orders by Gus to make sure we didn't win so as not to worry about a cup run :lol:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Ok not exceptional but Nooney was also having a good game at Hull until he was (sensibly) withdrawn having got a yellow and because he was giving their full back a hard time Hull were doing their best to get him a red. So it probably is fair to say that based on the 3 first league games he was consistently good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here