Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Does anyone have a pic of this Slims cafe, seems to have been frequented by a few on here?

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I can recall trips to Churchill Square from Eastbourne. Wasn't there a Green Shield stamp shop where parents exchanged books of stamps for consumer goods. I can also remember the BHS restaurant which had a conveyor belt which went round the outside of the restaurant where you put your dirty plates nd they would disappear to the kitchen. To a 5 year old it was magical to watch.

Correct there was a green shield stamp shop forgotten that

Wally Gould

Jul 10, 2011
churchill_square_1960s.jpg

Churchill_square.jpg

I remember Intersport and the perpetual "closing down sale"!
I remember 'Taste' was the place to go for mens clothes.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I asked this question a few times before on this board but nobody has provided the answer. LHS of Churchill Square (1966 version) there was a shop that I am sure did records downstairs and toys/Airfix kits/model trains upstairs, I think it eventually became the HMV shop. Does this shop exist only in my imagination or was it real. I am talking early to mid '70's.

As far as I remember there was Gamleys in the Arcade on the other side of the road and the model shop on the corner of West street and Cranbourne Street. Which was my Airfix and balsa wood supply shop.

bernardo

Nov 2, 2012
My mum used to go to HMV every week. The WHSmith record shop used to sell mainly classical music. There was a kiosk outside BHS at the back. Bejum's was at the top I think. I vaguely remember that trolley escalator in tesco. I quite like the old Churchill Square :rock: :)

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Who remembers a shops called "Orange Hand"? All I remember is that they sold numbers to iron on the back of football shirts. Back in the day (70's) you could hardly get them anywhere. I think it was roughly where the small WH smith music shop was, possibly ont at the same time, but around that area?

Anyone else remember that one

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I can recall trips to Churchill Square from Eastbourne. Wasn't there a Green Shield stamp shop where parents exchanged books of stamps for consumer goods. I can also remember the BHS restaurant which had a conveyor belt which went round the outside of the restaurant where you put your dirty plates nd they would disappear to the kitchen. To a 5 year old it was magical to watch.

I used to work in the BHS restaurant as a 16 yr old. Remember one day, one of the of the young guys got fired getting caught having a tug of war with the one eyed trouser snake in a corner of the staff canteen, happy days.

Last edited:

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Who remembers a shops called "Orange Hand"? All I remember is that they sold numbers to iron on the back of football shirts. Back in the day (70's) you could hardly get them anywhere. I think it was roughly where the small WH smith music shop was, possibly ont at the same time, but around that area?

Anyone else remember that one

I remember Orange Hand. When you went in it had a lower ground floor and you could use a slide to get down or the stairs. That would have been 75/76

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was a kids' clothes shop which was quite expensive downstairs tucked away - Colts. I remember my mum buying Peter Grummit (sic) some really expensive Levi's there before buying me a Tesco's pair in the shop opposite!!

A generation later (well nearly!) House your Seagull and his co-editor used to build a camp in the building site!

My whole family seem to still be here and on NSC!

Yes, a mention for Colts where my Mum used to take me for clothes

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I remember my Mum buying me 2 pairs of Panama trainers from that old Tesco in about 1988
They were a fiver each and had to last a whole school year!

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
That be Soft Centre, that be. Got a game for my commodore 16 in there, circa 1984 - Monkey ( the chinese martial arts dude ) and it cost an enormous £8.25 on cassette!

Oh happy days. It was all about Soft Centre or Gamer in those days.
Gamer was in East Street I think.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
What's the best website for photos of Brighton & Hove in the 70s/80s & 90s? As I am interested in them?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports