Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
And of course the wishing well. I think everyone must have met their girlfriend/boyfriend there at some stage.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I can just remember the old shops that fronted Western Road before Churchill Square was built. I was too young to know what shops they were.

Ah, the Solarium Cafe, up one flight of stairs. I had my wedding reception in the bar area. The first step on a road to ruin!

I can remember being taken to a Christmas ice show at the West Street rink - and a public outcry at its closure and a long running campaign to "Save the Tigers"

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Who hasn't waited for a date at the wishing well at the front of Churchill Square?!

Once a girl I was waiting for turned up and she approached me and asked if I was Dave from Coasters the night before. My memory of her was rather jaded from the booze and I was very disapointed with what I saw. So I flatly but politley denied being the bloke she was meeting....trouble is, she didn't walk away (clearly had the same memory issues as me) so I had to stand there next to her for a further 20 minutes until eventually she walked off!!!!!!!!! AWKWARD!

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
That computer game shop in the dingy corner next to the public toilets.
WHSmith Record Shop.

:thumbsup:
That be Soft Centre, that be. Got a game for my commodore 16 in there, circa 1984 - Monkey ( the chinese martial arts dude ) and it cost an enormous £8.25 on cassette!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Miss Selfridge near to BHS's at the front facing part of those shops in Churchill square.

Downstairs and Miss Selfridge was a coffee shop.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The Churchhill Sq monolith

6a00e5506cd11688340168eb584e9d970c-320wi

which was meade out of (or clad in) polystyrene under that grey exterior.

Always remember Habitat, Solarium, Our Price, WH Smith Records, that ice-cream kiosk and the lower-level Tescos.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
There was a kids' clothes shop which was quite expensive downstairs tucked away - Colts. I remember my mum buying Peter Grummit (sic) some really expensive Levi's there before buying me a Tesco's pair in the shop opposite!!

A generation later (well nearly!) House your Seagull and his co-editor used to build a camp in the building site!

My whole family seem to still be here and on NSC!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Western Road (pre-Churchill Square) before road widening
jg_19_124.jpg

Western Road (pre-Churchill Square) after road widening
jg_19_133.jpg

Western Road (pre-Churchill Square) after road widening
jg_19_154.jpg

Old Churchill Square (how most of us remember it in its final days - deserted)
jg_19_042.jpg

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Cracking thread, really got me reminiscing!

Wasn't Bejam's downstairs? To the left of Tesco's as you look at the picture I thought there were ramps going down to another level or am I imagining things?

I also remember Rumbelows being on the right hand side parade of shops as you look at tesco's!

Also, when I was 6 or 7 I used to go up town with my parents on a Saturday. Me and my old man would go in solarium and she'd go shopping, crisps and coke for me while the old man had a few pints. Strange thing is I can remember the name of it and vaguely being in there (i'm sure the bar was on the first floor?) but I don't remember it being out the front of Churchill Square, could have sworn it was above the shops to the left as you look at tesco's with the entrance on the east side?? This would have been about 1983.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Miss Selfridge reached from front to back and was on 3 floors, with a cafe. It was a must-visit every Saturday. Smiffs, next door, used to reach from front to back as well and had a record dept and a travel agents. Nearby was Mothercare with a cafe next door called Sarah's. Right at the back was the 2-storey Tesco, which even sold paint upstairs. I was shopping there the day the bomb went off at the Grand, so I went down for a nose. RJs hair was in Churchill Sq before it went to Queen's Road. Habitat was always there, even till after the remodelling. Still there, but empty. I had my first snog at the bottom of the stairwell next to that naff old bit of concrete artwork, before the place was open!

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Sainsbury's was tucked round in the top left corner - I worked for BT in the offices above the Square in the mid 80's and remember the weekly shop at Tesco's in the 70's

DanielT

There was a kids' clothes shop which was quite expensive downstairs tucked away - Colts. I remember my mum buying Peter Grummit (sic) some really expensive Levi's there before buying me a Tesco's pair in the shop opposite!!
My whole family seem to still be here and on NSC!

Colts! Got my gear for stringer down in that darkened crevice of the old churchill square!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Macfisheries,was opposite what was Habitat. Chelsea Girl, next door to Smiths. Smiths had amazing air-con.

I worked at Smiths in autumn 1975, and the aircon broke down one Saturday about two weeks before Christmas. All the floors werre rammed with Christmas shoppers and the air was unbreathable within minutes. But the manager was desperate to be the first shop in the UK to beat some target or other, so they stayed open. For once I was glad to be working in the stockrooms in the basement where you could just open the door to the service road for ventilation. I also remember the manager instituting spot-checks to make sure staff weren't nicking things but then getting us to help him lift shop units into the back of his car.

The best thing was that they had an old-style lift, so you could load up a trolley with books in the basement and head off up to the top floor, then pull the door slightly open between floors to stop the lift, and spend as long as you felt like reading. Everyone on the top floor assumed the lift was being loaded in the basement, everyone in the basement assumed you were unloading on the top floor. No-one could ever be arsed to check.

On another subject, didn't there use to be a bridge at the back of Churchill Square across to the Brighton Centre?

Rarely post, but this thread had me reminiscing as well. Soft Centre, Colts, Intersport, Bejam..classic stores of their time. As a young lad in the mid/late 80s spent many a Sunday bombing round the back of Churchill Square (when all shops closed) on skateboards, rollerboots or bikes. Happy days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here