Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The Churchhill Sq monolith

6a00e5506cd11688340168eb584e9d970c-320wi

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Taste (men's fashion) was on the lower level not far from Hallmark and Tescos. Leather jacket shop round the corner.

Bridge to the Brighton Centre

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I can still vaguely remember Western Road without Churchill Sq....I certainly remember the strange foundation hole created for Solitaire...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
HMV used to be situated where the Disney store is.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I too worked in Tesco at the back. The Supermarket was down below and upstairs was clothes and drink. HMV was round the left hand side (looking from Western Road). I think Virgin had its shop in Queens road opposite where Boots is now.

My mate and I were employed as Saturday staff by Tesco and our role was to collect trolleys from the car parks around town. Brill job, as long as the store had suffcient trollies the day was yours

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My mate and I were employed as Saturday staff by Tesco and our role was to collect trolleys from the car parks around town. Brill job, as long as the store had suffcient trollies the day was yours

That made me laugh.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
There was a strange american fitness brand on the lower level - can't remember the name. I think they made a lot of protein shakes and stuff and were closed down in my earliest memories. That is the only thing I remember about the lower level.

I remember most of Churchill Square being boarded up prior to the '98 rebuild.

They say your childhood memories romanticise the places you grew up around. Well not in my case. I remember 80's Brighton being grey and grim and it stunk of piss or bleach and was full of old people.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I remember Tesco had that cool escalator for trolleys. I was fascinated by it as a kid.

I also remember running up and down those funny concrete ramps with the bobbly paving. They used to make a right racket on a skateboard.

Also, from what I can remember, WH Smith and BHS are still in the same units as they were back in the days of the old concrete and crappy Churchill Square.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Macfisheries,was opposite what was Habitat. Chelsea Girl, next door to Smiths. Smiths had amazing air-con.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here