Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I remember the model shop - what was it called, Beatties or something?

Does sound familiar. Still there as a poncy model shop. Modelzone.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In pre-Churchill Square days I rmember my parents often taking my sister and myself to eat on a Saturday lunchtime in a Fish and Chip Restaurant in the part of Upper Russell Street that ran parallel to West Street. You always had the choice of three vinegars: Malt, Onion and Red Cabbage.

Regarding The old Sports Stadium, I also remember seeing the former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Primo Canera, wrestling there after he had "blown" all his Boxing Purse money.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Worked in Peter Dominics off license in the late 70's with a guy called Nick who i still bump in to at the Swan every now and again. I remember the Manager of the shop invited us to his house for New Year but only if we bought the booze from the shop. No discount - mind you he was a short arms / deep pockets Scotsman - so we just filtered it out the back door and collected it later. :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In pre-Churchill Square days I rmember my parents often taking my sister and myself to eat on a Saturday lunchtime in a Fish and Chip Restaurant in the part of Upper Russell Street that ran parallel to West Street. You always had the choice of three vinegars: Malt, Onion and Red Cabbage.

I believe that was the original Bardsley's. It survived when most of the other buildings had been reduced to rubble in preparation for the Churchill Square construction. And at the risk of showing my age, it was there that I heard of the assassination of Kennedy - sort of. My dad parked the car outside to go in and get the fish and chips (I always had the red cabbage vinegar) and when he came back he said: "Everyone was saying: 'Isn't it terrible?'" but he hadn't wanted to admit he didn't know what it was he'd missed. I don't think we had a radio in the car, so we must have gone home and found out what had happened...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I believe that was the original Bardsley's. It survived when most of the other buildings had been reduced to rubble in preparation for the Churchill Square construction. And at the risk of showing my age, it was there that I heard of the assassination of Kennedy - sort of. My dad parked the car outside to go in and get the fish and chips (I always had the red cabbage vinegar) and when he came back he said: "Everyone was saying: 'Isn't it terrible?'" but he hadn't wanted to admit he didn't know what it was he'd missed. I don't think we had a radio in the car, so we must have gone home and found out what had happened...

Bloody hell x2

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I worked at C&H in 1970, which also used to be at the front of Churchill Square, before it moved along the road.

Bullock.jpg

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Seem to remember Bardsleys being in Upper North Street, did they move there from Upper Russell Street?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Seem to remember Bardsleys being in Upper North Street, did they move there from Upper Russell Street?

From Bardsley's website...

It all started in 1926

Bardsleys award winning Brighton fish restaurant has been a family business for four generations. We were founded by our great grandfather Ben who was a blacksmith in Lancashire. He moved into the Brighton area during the great depression in 1926 and established the business in order to serve the local Brighton Community and support his growing family.

He opened the original Bardsley's in Upper Russell street, where the new Brighton Shopping Centre now stands. For many years this shop supported all subsequent generations of Bardsleys who in time opened their own restaurants. His son Jim, in Gloucester Road, his daughters, Isobel and Harriet in Upper Gloucester Road, Mary in Edward Street and Emily in Upper North Street.

Now only Bardsley's Baker Street is still owned by his direct descendants keeping the family traditions alive.

I fkn' love Bardsley's, I do...

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
A bleak playground, 1977
By David Fisher
How these boys managed to get on the roof above the entrance to British Home Stores is nobody's business. For me, this picture (taken on 3 September 1977) epitomises the bleak and unfriendly character of Churchill Square as it used to be, with the tower of offices sitting uncomfortably over the shops and windswept, rainy spaces.

Churchill_Square_1977-09-03.jpg

It is hard to explain to people who didn't grow up in Brighton just how dull and decrepit it was during the 80's.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Does anyone remember Olympus sports on the corner of Western road before you turn into churchill square?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Does anyone remember Olympus sports on the corner of Western road before you turn into churchill square?

Yeah had a green flame in a green dish as an emblem. I do remember as a kid the coolest sport shop to go to was David Rose when it was up around 7 dials.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here