Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Does anyone remember Olympus sports on the corner of Western road before you turn into churchill square?

olympus was opposite the clock tower so not quite on western road. but yes. snide own brand tracksuits that were all the rage for a short period.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I didn't realise so many streets were lost in the making of that 60's concrete block. Bit before my time but anyone remember the old streets and what was on them?
Cannon Street, Artillery Street, Russell Street and Granville Place (below) to name a few.

grenville_place.jpg

Old street map around Western Rd (just look how streets and pubs were lost and a meat market, a whole community!)

churchill_square_past.jpg

Then in the early 60's

churchill_square_present.jpg

wow, that's a massive chunk of central Brighton

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
olympus was opposite the clock tower so not quite on western road. but yes. snide own brand tracksuits that were all the rage for a short period.

was it, im pretty sure I remeber it being near / next door to elecronics boutique.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Fantastic thread - what memories!!

No idea to be honest! Only model shop's i knew as a kid was the one on West St and Beatties now Pizza Hut.

Beatties was brilliant - could spend hours in there just looking.

Excellent - will lose this weekend on those!

I remember going to Churchill Square with my Mum and Dad and we used to stop in Fortes for a cup of tea and a sticky bun.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Any idea why in the second photo that building has Danish flags on it? Just curiosity as got an interest in Denmark.

I have a vague memory that it was a cafe that sold some kind of open sandwich, which would instantly make it the height of European sophistimication in the 80s.

Just as in those days, duvets were known as 'continental quilts'.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
I remember Orange Hand. When you went in it had a lower ground floor and you could use a slide to get down or the stairs. That would have been 75/76

What sort of shop was it? What did it sell mainly?
Very sketchy memories. Dont remeber the slide at all

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I used to get kitted out at Colts in the mid to late 70s. I may be dreaming this but was there a shop next door called Fillies?

As a customer of Colts in the mid-1980s, I seem to recall there being a martial arts shop next door. This might be a figment of my imagination though.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Any idea why in the second photo that building has Danish flags on it? Just curiosity as got an interest in Denmark.

It was originally Solitaire, a ladies' clothes shop which sold wedding dresses upstairs. At this time, Solitaire probably closed and that was when the building became a (Danish-inspired) cafe?

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
It was originally Solitaire, a ladies' clothes shop which sold wedding dresses upstairs. At this time, Solitaire probably closed and that was when the building became a (Danish-inspired) cafe?

It did turn into a cafe after Solitaire and they probably sold Danish'

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As a customer of Colts in the mid-1980s, I seem to recall there being a martial arts shop next door. This might be a figment of my imagination though.

Nope there deffo was one in Churchill Square and thats prob where it was.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
A bleak playground, 1977
By David Fisher
How these boys managed to get on the roof above the entrance to British Home Stores is nobody's business. For me, this picture (taken on 3 September 1977) epitomises the bleak and unfriendly character of Churchill Square as it used to be, with the tower of offices sitting uncomfortably over the shops and windswept, rainy spaces.

Churchill_Square_1977-09-03.jpg

It is hard to explain to people who didn't grow up in Brighton just how dull and decrepit it was during the 80's.

They should have been watching us beat Mansfield 2-1 away.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Because the cafe sold Danish pastries ?

I have a vague memory that it was a cafe that sold some kind of open sandwich, which would instantly make it the height of European sophistimication in the 80s.

Just as in those days, duvets were known as 'continental quilts'.

Makes sense. The Danes ruddy LOVE their open sandwiches for some reason

It did turn into a cafe after Solitaire and they probably sold Danish'

I could have sworn it was because it changed its name to 'Café Copenhagen'.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Boots where McDonalds / Argos is now on Western Road
Gas Showroom Where next/HMV is now
Moss Bros just opposite, with those big steps between them

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What about 'The Wall' where the skateboarders went near the old Churchill Square.

Seemed to be between the parking and shopping area, think you had to climb over fences and walls to get there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here