Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon DIVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The rules state it has to be a careless, reckless or excessive trip or kick to be a penalty. None of these boxes were ticked in my opinion...so it's not a penalty.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But was it a foul?

I don't think it was a foul. You make a good point in decoupling the two things.

It's one of those myths perpetuated by the likes of Andy Gray on Sky Sports that if you make contact with an attacking opponent and don't make contact with the ball in the penalty area, it's automatically a foul.

In playing for that contact, so he could do his little dive, Calderon was being canny. But the ref knew what he was up to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think it was a foul. You make a good point in decoupling the two things.

It's one of those myths perpetuated by the likes of Andy Gray on Sky Sports that if you make contact with an attacking opponent and don't make contact with the ball in the penalty area, it's automatically a foul.

In playing for that contact, so he could do his little dive, Calderon was being canny. But the ref knew what he was up to.

This is how I see it, especially the comment about Andy Gray.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The rules state it has to be a careless, reckless or excessive trip or kick to be a penalty. None of these boxes were ticked in my opinion...so it's not a penalty.

How can the keeper rushing off his line like that, with defenders in attendence not be careless?? It was an unnecessary challenge and there was contact. If the ref decided there wasnt sufficient contact for a penalty that doesnt AUTOMATICALLY make it a dive.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just watched this on the telly, seemed there was some contact, Calderon made the most of it (who doesn't these days), I say it was a pen.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
There was contact, but only because Calde left his foot in cleverly*. Unfortunately it ws the one of the few decisions that twat got right.

*or ungentlemanly depending on your viewpoint

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can the keeper rushing off his line like that, with defenders in attendence not be careless?? It was an unnecessary challenge and there was contact. If the ref decided there wasnt sufficient contact for a penalty that doesnt AUTOMATICALLY make it a dive.

Obviously there is a level of subjectivity involved here. But, in my opinion, and in a sport which involves contact, the keeper did nothing careless. When the keeper advanced off his line I was not subsumed by fear of what might happen next. Far from it. Nothing I saw was careless, reckless of used excessive force which I what had to have happened according to the rules. Contact alone is insufficient.

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Spot on, Kazenga. :thumbsup:

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
He didnt exactly slowly come out to narrow the angle. He rushed out at the players feet. I agree with you that its subjective but I do feel you are underplaying the challenge in order to evidence your belief that Calderon dived/it wasnt a penalty. Hey ho, half the fun is in debating incidents like this!

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
That one slow-mo replay from the east stand last night showed it perfectly. There was no contact whatsoever. He dived.

In full speed from most of the ground it looked a cast iron pen. But although Durso is a massive wally, he got that one absolutely spot on.

Proved to be NOT the case by the TV highlights tonight.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
it was a penalty for sure, yes calde played for it but the keeper took the man not the ball and thems the rules...how many pens are given because a defender or keeper takes the attacking players trailing leg and not the ball?
LOTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here