Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon DIVED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
With the greatest of respect, shouldn't the thread title be "Calderon Dove"? Is it dived or dove? That's the real issue here. For the love of Binney, let us not permit our grammatical standards to slip lest we become a laughing stock of the Footie Message Board World.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Anyone still want video replays for penalty decisions then ?

No. Where would we get our sense of fuming injustice?

I've given up trying to make up my mind from the stand as I've been proved wrong often enough. In this case I'm glad I watched the TV show. Initially, from the youtube clip on here I thought 'dive' but the commentator got it right. Penalty.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
changed my mind after seeing the show last night, there was contact and he went down (although gracefully) but nevertheless there was contact and that = penalty, no debate.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
i will never agree with the argument that contact equals penalty, thats rubbish, a player is allowed to touch another player with his foot, how else is he able to tackle him, it just boils down to whether the contact is severe enough to be ajudged a foul or to warrant a trip, in this case - never in a million years, calderon dived.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i will never agree with the argument that contact equals penalty, thats rubbish, a player is allowed to touch another player with his foot, how else is he able to tackle him, it just boils down to whether the contact is severe enough to be ajudged a foul

This. To be precise the "trip" or "kick" has to be "careless, reckless or of excessive force" to be a free-kick or penalty kick. Basing a case on whether there was contact or not shows you have no understanding of a fundamental law or you pay too much attention to the garbage peddled by Sky pundits.

If it was contact alone then about 70% of all advances into the box would result in penalties as would all corner kicks.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
This. To be precise the "trip" or "kick" has to be "careless, reckless or of excessive force" to be a free-kick or penalty kick. Basing a case on whether there was contact or not shows you have no understanding of a fundamental law or you pay too much attention to the garbage peddled by Sky pundits.

If it was contact alone then about 70% of all advances into the box would result in penalties as would all corner kicks.
It's not about contact as this is a contact sport. The keeper rushes out, goes to ground, misses the ball by a mile and touches the player. I call that careless. He could have stayed on his line, he could have carefully made sure he reached the ball first, he could have stayed standing up; he did not - he "carelessly" tripped a player.

The rule though is an interesting one. It would seem that as long as you are careful, not reckless and only use moderate force you can kick, trip or strike an opponent. Sounds to me that you casually walk up to an opponent and slap them gently round the face and not give away a foul!

I've watched the youtube and Seagulls player replays about 20 times and still can't work out if there is contact, so I certainly can't blame the ref for his decision (about the only thing he can't be blamed for!). If there is contact I go along with those saying it's still not a penalty, and I'm still disappointed in Calderon because if there is contact it's only because he trails his right leg looking for it - if he was making any genuine effort to vault the keeper then his foot would be up in the air and avoid the keepers boot.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Having looked at the replays I have to go along with the commentators, there was contact. Should have been a penalty but it seems we are getting a reputation as a diving club (even though our own Tom Daley impersonator now plays for the Croydon Paupers).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's not about contact as this is a contact sport. The keeper rushes out, goes to ground, misses the ball by a mile and touches the player. I call that careless. He could have stayed on his line, he could have carefully made sure he reached the ball first, he could have stayed standing up; he did not - he "carelessly" tripped a player.

It's not neccessarily careless though. He decided on an action, and in your view, did not execute it perfectly. This does not necessarily imply carelessness.

Having watched the penalty again I'm now of the view Calderon could have easily stayed on his feet. It was not a penalty. Reading the rules I'm certain of this. Did he dive? Probably.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought there was a slight touch though he did dive too. Therefore = it IS a pen. The commentators last night said it was still after all 3 replays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Since when has a 'slight touch' been a foul? If a slight touch was a foul you'd never successfully complete a corner kick without a free kick or penalty being awarded.

This.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I've watched the youtube and Seagulls player replays about 20 times and still can't work out if there is contact, so I certainly can't blame the ref for his decision (about the only thing he can't be blamed for!). If there is contact I go along with those saying it's still not a penalty, and I'm still disappointed in Calderon because if there is contact it's only because he trails his right leg looking for it - if he was making any genuine effort to vault the keeper then his foot would be up in the air and avoid the keepers boot.

Wrong. It wasn't even his right leg that's hit, it's his left boot. Obviously it needs to be seen on a big screen. The commentator got it spot on last night.

Wrong. It wasn't even his right leg that's hit, it's his left boot. Obviously it needs to be seen on a big screen. The commentator got it spot on last night.

If the contact is meant to be Calderon's left boot with the keeper's right leg (I was looking for his right with keeper's left) then it's even more of a dive. He manages to plant his left boot beyond the keeper and then falls over. As Herr has said above (several times) a minute amount of contact does not make it a penalty. Calderon clearly could have continued past the keeper and attempted to score but fancied his chances of winning a penalty so took a dive, and I find that very disappointing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Calderon clearly could have continued past the keeper and attempted to score but fancied his chances of winning a penalty so took a dive, and I find that very disappointing.

This is an accurate description of what happened. Well put, and succint. So, to summarise, no penalty and Calderon dived. Can we move on now?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
If the contact is meant to be Calderon's left boot with the keeper's right leg (I was looking for his right with keeper's left) then it's even more of a dive. He manages to plant his left boot beyond the keeper and then falls over. As Herr has said above (several times) a minute amount of contact does not make it a penalty. Calderon clearly could have continued past the keeper and attempted to score but fancied his chances of winning a penalty so took a dive, and I find that very disappointing.

No he doesn't. He stretches for the ball with his right foot, avoids the onrushing keeper, and his left boot is caught whilst he is in the air. All I would say is it needs to be seen on a big TV screen, not a computer.
He didn't dive, it was a pen, and I'm not disappointed with anyone.

I'm leaving it now, and as mentioned before this incident is definitely an argument against video technology being brought in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here