Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
the moment his feet went together i said "he's gonna get a red".

The tackle itself was not bad and he got the ball.
Sadly he had to be sent off on a technicality.

I still will NEVER understand why, in any footballing situation, a player would feel the need to tackle like that? But then, im only basing this on playing sunday league level.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
J block? You would had the worst possible view of the incident then.

Wrong. Had a very clear view, on a diagonal with the tackle/foul.

Whatever, what's done is done, but I didn't think that was a red card, and NONE of the players reacted until the ref blew his whistle and went loopy

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I would be interested in the views of others from the family stand as side on it didn't seem like he lunged in. It looked more like a block tackle and the jump came after he got the ball more in an attempt to get out of the players way. I think the players reaction caused the card. As I say, just my view but from a different angle.

I was sat in the Family stand and was 100% sure it would be a red card as soon as he jumped in.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Seemed to me that Racon launched himself at the ball as well and one of the two was always going to get sent off. Racon made it a lot worse rolling around like he had lost his leg

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
With Calde being right footed, as he came infield towards Racon and the ball, was possibly caught in two minds about leading with what would have been the wrong foot, i.e. the right, and went in with both?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Actually, from the laws of the game

Serious foul play
A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality
against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play.

A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as
serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the
front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force
and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play unless
there is a clear subsequent opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send
off the player guilty of serious foul play when the ball is next out of play.

A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play is
restarted with a direct free kick from the position where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick) or a penalty kick (if the offence occurred
inside the offender’s penalty area).

The ref obviously viewed it as excessive force. He may have fallen short, but he jumped in, in the direction of the opponent, coming down strongly just fractionally shy of the opponent, if he landed awkwardly on the ball, as he very nearly did, he could have hurt their player. The very definition of endangering his opponents safety.

It didn't work out as the worst case scenario, but as I said earlier, challenges are judged on how safe they are, not how successful. He was successful, but not safe. He lunged in two footed, which is illegal in accordance with the laws of the game.

Erm, but that photo clearly shows that Calde wasn't going in the direction of the opponent.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My initial thought was he was lucky to get the ball, or he'd be off. Then I was furious with the decision- as it seemed that Racon decided to fall over a couple of seconds after the challenge and roll around, the ref (seemingly about 5 seconds after the tackle) then decided to send him off.

It wasn't the actual challenge I was annoyed with per se, more the dive and huge delay in the ref making his mind up.

But then again, I may have perceived it wrong, need to see it again.. But I thought he got the ball and it was a good challenge!

I agree 100% - The pathetic reaction that BOUGHT the ref was so annoying. Don't even think Calde touched him. He jumped in 2 footed though and we all know football doesn't like that these days. I think Calde was trying to scare the player though he would have got there first anyway so silly thing to do. Do feel hard done by by the pathetic reaction of Racon though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh dear - having seen that pic there's no way it's a red and no way Racon was hurt. I think the 2 feet were off the ground long before the ball got there people - hence what i said about trying to scare / put the player off from tackling - that was def what he was trying to do. Another POOR decision for us.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i'm sorry, but if that tackle was AGAINST Calde people on here would be DEMANDING a red card.

It's not debatable. He did the red card offence. It is completely meaningless whether he got the ball or not, or whether Racon was injured.

The sheer action of a two footed tackle is a red card. I don't think its right in the context of other tackles, but its the way its done nowadays.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
From where I was in the Family Stand, it did look like Calde jumped in. But I was expecting a yellow card due to it being early in the game, 1st offence & Racon also going in hard.

Thought the Ref & officials were pants. The Ref wanted to be centre of attention and got some decisions wrong.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i'm sorry, but if that tackle was AGAINST Calde people on here would be DEMANDING a red card.

It's not debatable. He did the red card offence. It is completely meaningless whether he got the ball or not, or whether Racon was injured.

The sheer action of a two footed tackle is a red card. I don't think its right in the context of other tackles, but its the way its done nowadays.

I didn't think it was a two footed 'tackle' as such - He jumped in the air long before the ball came to put their player off - he was back on the floor by the time the ball and player came and he won the tackle? Will need to see a replay but the pic suggests the actual tackle wasn't even a foul (as Gus said)...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the 2 feet were off the ground long before the ball got there people

That picture is the very moment he landed after jumping in. As you see, one of his feet is coming down on the ball. Unless he has great hangtime (and having seen the replay, I don't think he does) he took off a barely even a second before the ball got there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think what people are missing is the fact that the ref doesnt have cameras etc to show that one leg is still on the ground he has to make a decision based on what he saw in a split second and he saw the same as me or rather I saw the same as him and immediately it happened my brother and I agreed he would be in trouble. The only thing in Calderons defence is that quite often a tackle like that early on gets just a yellow when later in the game it gets a red. So perhaps he was unlucky that the ref made one of his only 2 correct decisions all night the other was the penalty. What would be our reaction if their No 6 had done the same to Murray, we would have been shouting for a red card. I think the club should just accept it and move on not even consider an appeal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That picture is the very moment he landed after jumping in. As you see, one of his feet is coming down on the ball. Unless he has great hangtime (and having seen the replay, I don't think he does) he took off a barely even a second before the ball got there.

See what your saying but a 2 footed tackle it wasn't as only one of hid legs went for the ball... So he did jump earl;y and then tackle with ONE foot

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Just seen Dermot Gallagher talking about Lee Bowyer's tackle last night and agreeing it was a yellow card. And yet that was late, over the ball and with a stamping motion which could easily have broken his opponent's ankle. But it was one-footed so that's okay then.

Another indication that these blanket decisions to cover certain tackles are a nonsense.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Its an interesting one, I think those who are saying there is no debate either way is wrong, its one of those really sometimes referees are really hard on and other times referees would have waved play on, its a difficult decision and in real speed I can probably see why the referee sent him off, although I would also say I don't think a tackle like that really merits a straight red but I suppose in the current climate of football you can perhaps see why the referee sent him off.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Seemed a clear red card to me......and if you look at the picture, you can see how far the ball has sunk into the pitch to gauge that Calde definitely jumped into the tackle with his full weight.

Shame, but really don't think an appeal would stand a chance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its an interesting one, I think those who are saying there is no debate either way is wrong, its one of those really sometimes referees are really hard on and other times referees would have waved play on, its a difficult decision and in real speed I can probably see why the referee sent him off, although I would also say I don't think a tackle like that really merits a straight red but I suppose in the current climate of football you can perhaps see why the referee sent him off.

Good post. Agreed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports