Calde Red Card

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Just seen it on BBC South. 100% red card. Jumps in, studs showing and stamps towards the ball. Yes he does get one foot on the ball but it is still, under the current rules, a dangerous tackle. Racon made the most of it but definite red. Just going back to the still photo, Calderons contact with the ball is with the studs whereas Racon is with the inside of the boot.

The stupid thing is that Calderon could quite easily have made a straightforward challenge rather than jumping in and would have probably won the ball.

Exactly this. At the time it looked like a straight red and having also just seen it on tv there is no doubt about it - Calderon had to go. He really didn't need to do it as not only would he have probably won the ball with a fair challenge but also Bridcutt was tracking back and covering as Calderon went for the tackle.

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Incredible that this has reached 7 pages. I was at the game, saw it in real time (and on TV), from a good position, and didn't know what the ref would do at the time. It can go any way, and did! I have witnessed tackles that should have warranted a red card, and got nothing, and vice versa. I thought he was unlucky to be sent off, but that's the way the game is these days. Tough isn't it? Let's move on.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not seen a replay but from C block thought it was 100% the right decision. (opinion only, but when you appear to go in two footed and leave the ground there is only going to be one outcome.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ANYONE who watches back the footage (now on bbc site) and STILL thinks it wasn't red clearly has never played football or cared if their leg stays in one solid piece.

I love Calde, but that was stupid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i'm sorry, but if that tackle was AGAINST Calde people on here would be DEMANDING a red card.

It's not debatable. He did the red card offence. It is completely meaningless whether he got the ball or not, or whether Racon
was injured.

The sheer action of a two footed tackle is a red card. I don't think its right in the context of other tackles, but its the way its done nowadays.

This. Also frustrating as Calderon had no need to tackle like he did in that part of the pitch. He made a mistake, now let's move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports