Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde Red Card

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Where are these replays?

I was in the north stand with a perfect view of the challenge- sadly though I was reading my programme and missed it....

Patience, they'll be online in a couple of days.

The stupidest thing about it is that I'm pretty sure he could have won the ball without lunging in with studs showing. Had he just gone in normally I think the odds were stacked in his favour.

Couldn't agree more. As soon as he jumped in and the player stayed down I said it would be red.

0,,10267~9293778,00.jpg

Poyet is saying it was a ONE-footed challenge, as does the report on the official site - this pic would seem to support that. And he got the ball cleanly. If the ref thought the challenge was dangerous, he could simply have booked him. There was no way it looked like a red card offence from where I was sitting.

And of course Poyet and the club site aren't biased!

sounds like it's worth an appeal.......start of the match , slippery pitch, both players fully committed , calde has a reasonable record doesn't he..?

You are joking aren't you?

From my perspective, near the back of D block, I had a good view and knew it was a red card incident before the ref had even blown.

You can dismiss all the comments from those who weren't at the game and didn't see it shown on sky.

You can dismiss all the comments from those who are arguing against a red card based solely on one still photograph.

Anyone who says it isn't a red card clearly don't watch any other football because if they had then they would have missed all post match analysis of such incidents. Yes, there are occassions when the ref fucks up and only gives a yellow but by the current laws it is a sending off offence. Once the replays are online it will be interesting to see how many who think it wasn't a red change their mind.

Awaits accusations of arrogance!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think if I was Gus I'd get another referee to look at the evidence and depending on what he says possibly go for an official review. There does seem to be a question mark over the validity of the red card. The picture shows a one footed tackle and winning the ball as far as I can see, his feet aren't high or 'over the top'. I don't think it would be a frivilous appeal, but as I said I'd want independent advice. Losing Calderon for three games will be a big loss.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think if I was Gus I'd get another referee to look at the evidence and depending on what he says possibly go for an official review. There does seem to be a question mark over the validity of the red card. The picture shows a one footed tackle and winning the ball as far as I can see, his feet aren't high or 'over the top'. I don't think it would be a frivilous appeal, but as I said I'd want independent advice. Losing Calderon for three games will be a big loss.

Were you at the game? The fact that your comments are based on one photograph suggests not. Never in a million years would the FA rescind that red card.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Just watched on ssn, IMO yellow card at worst. Both players dived in for a 50:50. Is it worth appealing - probably not.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The picture clearly shows he is tackling with one foot, which is striking the ball not the player. The other foot is on on the ground.

Another interesting point - the referee gave this as a free kick to Charlton, when Calde clearly got the ball. A player can, of course, be sent off or booked for dangerous intent even if it is not technically a foul (as happened with Virgo in that game I mentioned before). If the ball was won cleanly it shouldn't have been a free kick. Another indication that the ref didn't have a chuffing clue what he was doing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My initial thought was he was lucky to get the ball, or he'd be off. Then I was furious with the decision- as it seemed that Racon decided to fall over a couple of seconds after the challenge and roll around, the ref (seemingly about 5 seconds after the tackle) then decided to send him off.!

That's how I saw it too. Racon only went to ground when he saw the possibility of getting Calderon sent off. The tackle itself got the ball cleanly. Which is just as well as it was clearly two-footed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Were you at the game? The fact that your comments are based on one photograph suggests not. Never in a million years would the FA rescind that red card.

Unfortunately not Drew. I did listen to the game on the radio, both Charlton and Brighton commentators were shocked to see a red card, I have watched Gus's interview on Seagulls Player in which he suggested that Calderon was upset by the decision to give a foul let alone a red card, I've watched the footage on SSN which showed two players committed to the challenge and the ball being won cleanly and I've also seen the photograph which shows a one footed attempt at the ball and the ball being struck about 3/4 of the way up by Calderons boot. Not the same as being there and seeing the 0.5 seconds of live action, but my judgement is based on more than just the photograph.

To reiterate, the loss of Calderon for three games will make things more difficult for us, and if an independent referee thinks that there is cause to review the decision then I think the club should go for it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It doesn`t just have to be a two footed tackle to get a player sent off does it ? Studs up with one foot can be enough.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It doesn`t just have to be a two footed tackle to get a player sent off does it ? Studs up with one foot can be enough.

If he missed the ball - fact is he got ALL of the ball - that photo proves that...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Patience, they'll be online in a couple of days.

Couldn't agree more. As soon as he jumped in and the player stayed down I said it would be red.

And of course Poyet and the club site aren't biased!

You are joking aren't you?

From my perspective, near the back of D block, I had a good view and knew it was a red card incident before the ref had even blown.

You can dismiss all the comments from those who weren't at the game and didn't see it shown on sky.

You can dismiss all the comments from those who are arguing against a red card based solely on one still photograph.

Anyone who says it isn't a red card clearly don't watch any other football because if they had then they would have missed all post match analysis of such incidents. Yes, there are occassions when the ref fucks up and only gives a yellow but by the current laws it is a sending off offence. Once the replays are online it will be interesting to see how many who think it wasn't a red change their mind.

Awaits accusations of arrogance!

Quite honestly having only just seen the incident on BBC news this lunchtime I'm amazed that it was considered a reckless challnge. Normally by the time contact is made the offending player is near horizontal or at least has both feet well clear of the ground.

In Calderon's case he was basically vertical and the trailing foot is only just off the ground. It's obvious he made full contact with the ball.

As a "neutral" I think it was a vast over-reaction and that the Charlton :sick:
player vastly over-reacted.

My verdict: Albion was robbed.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if gus poyet wanted the huddersfield player sent off for conceding the penalty, then calderon had to go. incredibley flair double standards

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If he missed the ball - fact is he got ALL of the ball - that photo proves that...

I thought the laws had changed, so a dangerous tackle is just that....ie it's irrelevant if the ball is won or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From where I was it looked dangerous, and I was not overly surprised when the red card was shown. Now let's move on.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought the laws had changed, so a dangerous tackle is just that....ie it's irrelevant if the ball is won or not.

That may well be Sir. I don't agree with it myself but football has changed for the worse now. Either way it wasn't that dangerous as he'd already landed and only went in with one foot.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not at all, Just because you got the ball doesnt mean its a foul/yellow or red.

Suprise suprise you decide to quote me out of shite loads of posts saying it wasn't a red. And there speaks a true premiership vfootball fan above - oh how the good old fashioned game has changed... :jester:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just seen it on BBC South. 100% red card. Jumps in, studs showing and stamps towards the ball. Yes he does get one foot on the ball but it is still, under the current rules, a dangerous tackle. Racon made the most of it but definite red. Just going back to the still photo, Calderons contact with the ball is with the studs whereas Racon is with the inside of the boot.

The stupid thing is that Calderon could quite easily have made a straightforward challenge rather than jumping in and would have probably won the ball.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just seen it on BBC South. 100% red card. Jumps in, studs showing and stamps towards the ball. Yes he does get one foot on the ball but it is still, under the current rules, a dangerous tackle. Racon made the most of it but definite red. Just going back to the still photo, Calderons contact with the ball is with the studs whereas Racon is with the inside of the boot.

The stupid thing is that Calderon could quite easily have made a straightforward challenge rather than jumping in and would have probably won the ball.

Must admit it does look a red from that angle they showed but you wouldn't place that still image on this thread (where he's not actually doing anything wrong) with that video they just showed... Strange I suppose but yes time to move on. Either way the ref prob wasn't gonna give it till the Charlton players reacted i think that's got most peoples goat on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here