Calde Red Card

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What does NSC think - fair or poor decision ?

Personally (although I would like to see it again) I think the issue was intent and it was there so was probably the right decision.

Oh and Ernest, next time I go through the turnstiles and my bag is searched do not say to the steward there is lube and gay videos in it :angry::angry::angry::angry:

They didn't find the gimp mask then ?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
choice between Bennett or Kish at right back for the next 3 games? What do we think?

I think Gus will stick with bennett at right back, he likes his fullbacks to get forward and I dont think either Kish or El Abd fit into that style of play.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
My immediate feeling was that it certainly wasn't a Red Card, but then I'm probably stuck in the 1970's (where if a player won the ball - & in doing so wiped-out the player they were challenging - then all was fine & dandy). Had that absolutely shite Ref had any doubts about giving Calde his marching orders, Racon's big girls' blouse routine would certainly have made his addled mind up. Sack of cack.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
The way I read the situation was that although Calderon may have been late and relatively high in the tackle, (where has this two footed stuff come from?) the referee had no intention of giving a foul let alone a red card originally, only when he saw the reaction of the Charlton players did he actually begin to make a fuss over the whole incident and proceeded to show the red card. I'll be the first to put my hands up and admit being wrong if it is shown Calderon was two footed but from where I was it certainly didn't look to be that way at all!

In many ways, it was one of the best things that could have happened to us as we were fast asleep for the penalty, and had scarcely woken up since, but as soon as the red was shown we were the better team and didn't look back.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Watch the replays. He jumped in with both feet. Irrespective of whether he got the ball or not he had to go. 20 years ago he would have got away with it but now that is a straight red.

Where are these replays?

I was in the north stand with a perfect view of the challenge- sadly though I was reading my programme and missed it....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My initial reaction was that there was such an odd delay between the incident and the ref deciding to blow, only when Charlton bleated like a bunch of girls he did blow and send calde off. Stand to be corrected but I thought both calde and racon went in 2 footed

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It looked like the ref got his red card out for Bridcutt but then put it away again, too scared of Poyet standing next to him probably.

I was holding my breath at that moment as I was sure the ref was getting a red card out for that challenge.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the 2 big decisions, the penalty and the red card were about the only 2 the ref got right. As regards Saturday I would like to see Bennett at right wing back and Kishishev added to the midfield but have a feeling that Gus may play Bridcutt at right back as he has played there before. There is always the possibility that he may settle for Tarrico but it would be ironic if he called Whing back from Orient and played him there, but I doubt it very much.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I know we're all unanimous on Calderon being a great player and a conductor of flair, but tonight I felt he showed total stupidity that may well have cost us the chance to win the game. Having just gone 1-0 down, the last thing we needed was a player sent off. And it was a red card, in fact I doubt you'll rarely see a more obvious one. It was off the ground, it was over the ball and it was two-footed. A totally ludicrous and moronic thing to do. Still, the twats at the end of the north stand gave him a round of applause.

Twats? For clapping one of our players? What should they have done? Booed him?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I was a distance away but I thought he won the ball cleanly then clattered into Racon who also went in hard. If he did win the ball then his momentum took him into Racon - it is not technically a foul but could be seen as dangerous play.

Thought he was unlucky but need to see it again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was a distance away but I thought he won the ball cleanly then clattered into Racon who also went in hard. If he did win the ball then his momentum took him into Racon - it is not technically a foul but could be seen as dangerous play.

Thought he was unlucky but need to see it again.

I agree and thought it was a harsh decision. For those who are criticising the north stand for applauding Calderon when he left, remember they would have had a better view of the incident than us lot in the south stand.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He got the ball and both feet looked on the ground from the position I was in, although haven't seen a replay. Interestingly the Charlton players did not surround the referee and the referee seemed to pause before making his mind up. Thought it was harsh, possibly a yellow but he won the ball and player was safety was not at risk.

Thought the challenge by Bridcutt was worse towards the end of the first half.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports