Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
We should’ve definitely won the game. Big chances missed by Undav, Welbeck and Mitoma. Particularly the Mitoma one where he’s tried to walk it in rather than shoot from close range.

The result is not unexpected though as I thought United’s experience and big club mentality would see them over the line and in the end they scraped past us.

Sadly we’ve been in this position too many times this season and the last few where we’ve played well, created numerous chances and lost.

I guess this is the life of supporting a team outside of the big six, always the bridesmaids and never the bride.

Realistically though we’ve have probably been comfortably beaten by City in the final and I look forward to a pretty ordinary United side getting beaten by City.

Europe is still on the cards.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just got in…….bit disappointing, we weren’t quite at out best but even then were still arguably the better team (couple of Mancs on the way out of the ground thought so too). Nothing seemed to quite fall for us. Will need to watch it back but also looked like ETH set them up pretty well tactically to keep March and Mitoma quieter than of late. Fantastic support, well done us.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Everything in sports is overdetermined. There are two outcomes, effects if you will. (Three if you count draws, but then we're always "Two points lost...")
But there are heaps and bunches of possible causes.

It's a mug's game to point to one or two of them, most of the time anyways, e.g. Spurs, and say "That's it, that's why we lost" -- or won.
But it gives us something to talk about.

Well done the lads.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Proud of our fans and our team. Pens are always a gamble, someone had to miss in the end.

Roll on Forest and a Europa League place.

Penalties are this far [------] away from deciding the game via a coin toss.
Hate 'em.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
My dad was taken into Worthing hospital last night, following a sudden stroke.
They've given him a tv to watch the match.
Love my dad - love the NHS.
UTA!
Sorry to quote my own post, but I would like to pass on an update.
It seems that he had a full-on stroke and has lost a few physical functions, and although he tried, he was pretty much unable to focus on the match, today.
The staff have been superb, and he's being taken for a full assessment tomorrow, where we will hopefully determine how to progress etc.
My mum is in bits (they've been together for over 60 years) and has health issues of her own....bad ones, sadly.
No idea why I'm telling you all this...I just felt the need.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I wonder if Undav will be with us next season?

I hope not (in the kindest way possible) There are so many parallels with him and Maupay. My brain started playing tricks on me during the game and thought it was Maupay during brief moments. I just don't see what he offers. He did get a brownie point for scoring his penalty though, which I really thought he was going to miss...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sorry to quote my own post, but I would like to pass on an update.
It seems that he had a full-on stroke and has lost a few physical functions, and although he tried, he was pretty much unable to focus on the match, today.
The staff have been superb, and he's being taken for a full assessment tomorrow, where we will hopefully determine how to progress etc.
My mum is in bits (they've been together for over 60 years) and has health issues of her own....bad ones, sadly.
No idea why I'm telling you all this...I just felt the need.
My thoughts are with you, and wishing you and your family all the best.
stay strong, they need you x

Last edited:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Thought we generally played well. Not our best but still decent, and definitely matched them. We just lacked a bit of cutting edge without Ferguson. I never want to dig players out for bad performances but Undav just doesnt seem upto it. Losing is never easy but we've done ourselves proud in the competition.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Think the Undav scapegoating is unfair. He was fine today, a few poor touches, a few good ones, a good penalty. Mitoma’s inability to poke that final chance home was a shame (wasn’t bad as such but thought he had one of his weakest games for us if we are honest).

It’s a tough one to take but no need to throw one player (any player) under the bus for not delivering on the Wembley stage.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Undav. Yeah I’ve said before I didn’t rate and most people disagreed, but I don’t think he offered much again today. I just expect him to have more effect on the game or if he’s not gonna be running run like a mad man like virtually the whole midfield and attack he needs to finish off those chances.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Think the Undav scapegoating is unfair. He was fine today, a few poor touches, a few good ones, a good penalty. Mitoma’s inability to poke that final chance home was a shame (wasn’t bad as such but thought he had one of his weakest games for us if we are honest).

It’s a tough one to take but no need to throw one player (any player) under the bus for not delivering on the Wembley stage.
Totally agree, if any Albion fan slags off the efforts from the lads today, must have a word with themselves.
All have 100%

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just got in…….bit disappointing, we weren’t quite at out best but even then were still arguably the better team (couple of Mancs on the way out of the ground thought so too). Nothing seemed to quite fall for us. Will need to watch it back but also looked like ETH set them up pretty well tactically to keep March and Mitoma quieter than of late. Fantastic support, well done us.
Why would you want to watch it back? I have no interest at all in watching that game again (bar the brief highlights perhaps). Just want to forget about it and move on.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Just got home and that was a long day for that ending. I don't think we played the way we have played this season. A mixture of nerves, legginess and occassional sloppiness. But with passages of decent play and quite a lot of control in the first half.

United are a strange beast. It was a patched up team and they didn't have any particular shape or style. Just enough seasoned experienced players to know how to get it done.

I think ferguson would have made a huge difference. And I'm worried about how tired our players look(ed). It feels like a long season is catching up a bit. God knows how they'll line up on Weds.

And I'm really sorry to say, Undav will never be a premier league level player while I've got a hole in my arse.

Also, I love Solly. I wish I had his number so I could text him and tell him to forget about it. He's given me a ton of great memories this season.

Also, also, Wembley is shìt. There I've said it. The outside is a dystopian nightmare replete with Stasi announcements about what is and isn't verbotten and stacks of empty dead eyed flats looming over it.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Just got in. Dunk, Caicedo and Alli Mac stood out for me in a below par performance.

With Ferguson on we'd have buried one of the chances.

Still we lost fair and square. No VAR BS, ref I thought did well overall and our support was brilliant.

:bloom:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here