Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Thought we generally played well. Not our best but still decent, and definitely matched them. We just lacked a bit of cutting edge without Ferguson. I never want to dig players out for bad performances but Undav just doesnt seem upto it. Losing is never easy but we've done ourselves proud in the competition.
I was surprised RDZ subbed off Enciso - he looked as likely as anyone to unlock their defence. I think RDZ was concerned after Enciso gave away that free kick at edge of box...but should have kept him on IMO.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We gave it a good go. It's testament to where we are as a team and a club that Ten Hag set Man Utd up to neutralise us.

Ten Hag a man whose philosophy and coaching career to date has been about dominating the ball and building from the back set Man Utd - the biggest club in the country - up to defend deep, deny us any space around their box and then to hit us on the counter as quickly as possible.

If you think about it that's some compliment from Ten Hag. He recognised they couldn't take us on in the way that he'd like to so set up as the underdog would. That's man utd setting up as the underdog against Brighton in an f,a cup semi final.

It's just a shame we lacked the killer instinct/final pass yesterday. The players can be proud of how they performed and hopefully it'll spur them on to finish the season positively rather than deplete them physically and mentally.

We do need some more depth in the squad though don't we?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
My only take on the game itself is how can Bruno Fernandes be the captain and representative of one of the worlds biggest teams? The bloke is a disgrace.

Feigning injury, moaning about everything, not helping his teammates, sitting on the floor until he gets attention. How can any of his teammates or fans have any respect for him

Oh and as a team we are running on steam. Wednesday could be tough

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We gave it a good go. It's testament to where we are as a team and a club that Ten Hag set Man Utd up to neutralise us.

Ten Hag a man whose philosophy and coaching career to date has been about dominating the ball and building from the back set Man Utd - the biggest club in the country - up to defend deep, deny us any space around their box and then to hit us on the counter as quickly as possible.

If you think about it that's some compliment from Ten Hag. He recognised they couldn't take us on in the way that he'd like to so set up as the underdog would. That's man utd setting up as the underdog against Brighton in an f,a cup semi final.

It's just a shame we lacked the killer instinct/final pass yesterday. The players can be proud of how they performed and hopefully it'll spur them on to finish the season positively rather than deplete them physically and mentally.

We do need some more depth in the squad though don't we?
I think Mitoma was well shackled for long periods of the game by a dynamic W-Bissaka..... that reduced our threat somewhat, in my view this was the key to the stalemate.

Poor old Solly,... this will live with him and undo to a degree, some of the decent work he has done this season in particular.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My only take on the game itself is how can Bruno Fernandes be the captain and representative of one of the worlds biggest teams? The bloke is a disgrace.

Feigning injury, moaning about everything, not helping his teammates, sitting on the floor until he gets attention. How can any of his teammates or fans have any respect for him

We had a full week to be fresh, United played Thursday…….

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London

Henry Winters summed it up in his report in the times:
“Fernandes, so good when focused, spent too long debating decisions with Pawson and staying down when touched before displaying his famed swift powers of recovery. He’s such a talent, yet so annoying at times”

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think Mitoma was well shackled for long periods of the game by a dynamic W-Bissaka..... that reduced our threat somewhat, in my view this was the key to the stalemate.

Poor old Solly,... this will live with him and undo to a degree, some of the decent work he has done this season in particular.
Yeah, wan bissaka played annoyingly well. Even Antony was tracking back and doubling up on Mitoma. They had a very specific plan for us and carried it out diligently. Which is what I'm taking as the compliment. They didn't even try to take us on toe to toe.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
3072fac4-1771-475b-b785-5d2ae5f21cb7.png
I love that picture. And both the people in it. It says so much about this club and what it’s about.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I had a fitful night last night, full of half conscious dreams and a feeling of despair… we were unlucky, with the pre-match loss of Ferguson and the eventual outcome… but in the cold light of day, that was a very ‘tactical’ victory and represents how far we’ve come. They set up to disrupt our rhythm, sit deep, break with long balls and hope for a lucky goal or two against the run of play. It was a war of attrition, with Utd constantly putting the brakes on and successfully dampening our fluidity. Indeed, having been so focussed on our performance when I think about it theirs was the polar opposite to what their entitled fan base would have expected…

Hopefully we can hold our shit together because as fortunate as they were, we were unfortunate… we need to realise we belong and the game on Wednesday takes on a greater significance, as an indicator of our resilience and our belief that we are indeed good enough to dislodge the so called ‘big’ 6ish.

Over to the boys and Roberto.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sorry to quote my own post, but I would like to pass on an update.
It seems that he had a full-on stroke and has lost a few physical functions, and although he tried, he was pretty much unable to focus on the match, today.
The staff have been superb, and he's being taken for a full assessment tomorrow, where we will hopefully determine how to progress etc.
My mum is in bits (they've been together for over 60 years) and has health issues of her own....bad ones, sadly.
No idea why I'm telling you all this...I just felt the need.
I hope your Dad gets well soon. A stroke can seem devastating but it is possible to make a good recovery if it is diagnosed and treated quickly.
My StepMum had a stroke aged 90, and although it took 6 months, she made virtually a full recovery.
All the best.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Surprised how many are saying we played poorly. We were playing a top 4 club and easily matched them. Many of Utd attacks because we were always pushing forward. Like so many supporters opinions just judged on result. If that was a league game it would have counted as a very good draw.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I was surprised RDZ subbed off Enciso - he looked as likely as anyone to unlock their defence. I think RDZ was concerned after Enciso gave away that free kick at edge of box...but should have kept him on IMO.
I think you’ve just answered your own question. Good decision imho plus he was knackered after chasing everything like a dog with 2 dickks

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I wonder how things might have been different if Ferguson had been fit to play yesterday.

Fergie is amazing but it’s hard to expect a young kid to shoulder the burden himself hence still the need for a proven experienced goalscorer a l à Danny wings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here