Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only just seen some of this on replay. That last penalty (lindelof?) only went in off the bar! Fine margins.

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
Glutton for punishment I watched the game again and Wan Bissaka was very clever instead of trying to win the ball straight away v Mitoma he instead actually gave him a half a yard thus not committing himself to a change of direction from Mitoma,that split second of time and space enabled him to actually know which way Mitoma was going and then closed him down or tackled him once Mitoma had made up his mind,that was annoyingly smart and apart from 2 or 3 good chance creating occasion's the Mitoma threat was by and large contained.

Roll on Wednesday COYB
I think this Mitoma vs AWB thing is completely overblown but it’s typical of social medias where people love this type of approach, a very American way of reading of sport, of seeing the game through 1on1 matchups as if football wasn’t a lot more intricate.
If AWB was so influential, he would have prevented the burst that led to Enciso’s shot instead of having to make a last ditch tackle. He also was nowhere when Mitoma crossed in the box after getting behind the defense, if the striker had a little bit more feel for the game, it would have been a great chance or even a goal considering the space was empty.

That’s not to say Mitoma’s final ball was good, just like the rest of the players he looked very slow and sluggish. The football wasn’t as smooth as usual. The few times he tried to take on AWB, he kind beat himself as opposed to being outmaneuvered.

That being said, he was growing into the game and after one last raid that ended with a great pass that Undav wasn’t ready for, Ten Hag decided to sub AWB ago put a fresh guy against him (and with March and McAll they still ended up creating another great massive chance in the 2nd ET). That doesn’t scream total victory to me but there are some annoying narratives that just won’t go away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think this Mitoma vs AWB thing is completely overblown but it’s typical of social medias where people love this type of approach, a very American way of reading of sport, of seeing the game through 1on1 matchups as if football wasn’t a lot more intricate.
If AWB was so influential, he would have prevented the burst that led to Enciso’s shot instead of having to make a last ditch tackle. He also was nowhere when Mitoma crossed in the box after getting behind the defense, if the striker had a little bit more feel for the game, it would have been a great chance or even a goal considering the space was empty.

That’s not to say Mitoma’s final ball was good, just like the rest of the players he looked very slow and sluggish. The football wasn’t as smooth as usual. The few times he tried to take on AWB, he kind beat himself as opposed to being outmaneuvered.

That being said, he was growing into the game and after one last raid that ended with a great pass that Undav wasn’t ready for, Ten Hag decided to sub AWB ago put a fresh guy against him (and with March and McAll they still ended up creating another great massive chance in the 2nd ET). That doesn’t scream total victory to me but there are some annoying narratives that just won’t go away.
What Mitoma said:

Kaoru Mitoma on Aaron Wan-Bissaka:

🗣 “He is a strong opponent. That is what I thought while I was playing. There were a lot of scenes where his leg stretched at the end or he got the ball down to the back. I think it was a complete defeat.”

SanchoMitoma

Feb 13, 2023
What Mitoma said:

Kaoru Mitoma on Aaron Wan-Bissaka:

🗣 “He is a strong opponent. That is what I thought while I was playing. There were a lot of scenes where his leg stretched at the end or he got the ball down to the back. I think it was a complete defeat.”

Polite, respectful and self depreciating, he’s always been like that. He’s been having more interviews lately and they’re all kind of awkward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here