[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
It's a piece of piss "getting it done ourselves" when you're one of the world's dominant superpowers and can just invade and oppress anyone who has something you want and won't give it to you. That's not a position the UK finds itself in, and hasn't been since at least 1945 (if not earlier). There was a reason we were the "sick man of Europe" in the 1970s, then turned it around once we joined the EEC.

So much so that we voted to leave:whistle: ,the Industrial revolution springs to mind was that a form of oppression in the country?
Regards
DF

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
If you had joined before last year you would already know you missed a crucial bit

“In all this urgent work, France and Germany must take the lead together.
Great Britain, the British Commonwealth of Nations, mighty America, and I trust Soviet Russia - for then indeed all would be well - must be the friends and sponsors of the new Europe and must champion its right to live and shine”

In other words, you form your club and we will watch from the outside.
You really are a gift

Winston Churchill and Emmeline Pankhurst's families angry at 'offensive' use of their images in anti-EU film

The families of two of Britain’s pre-eminent political figures of the 20th-century have launched a scathing attack on anti-EU campaigners, for using their relatives to try to persuade voters to back a vote to leave.

Sir Winston Churchill and Emmeline Pankhurst were featured in campaign video released by the main anti-EU campaign group, Vote Leave.

Churchill’s grandson, Sir Nicholas Soames, said the wartime leader was a “profound believer in the values of European co-operation”, and suggested that Churchill’s views would never have aligned with those of the Vote Leave campaign.

Meanwhile Helen Pankhurst, Emmeline’s granddaughter, said the suffragette who was instrumental in the battle for equality had been a “great internationalist”, and the whole family was in favour of Britain remaining in the EU.

The video that sparked their anger highlighted the achievements of Britons such as Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin and Florence Nightingale in shaping the worlds of politics, science and human endeavour.

It ends by saying: “British heroes changed the world. Don’t believe those who talk Britain down, those who say we are too weak to control our own affairs. Let’s take control. Vote Leave.”

Winston Churchill was a profound believer in the values of European co-operation and the need for it, and I am very disappointed to see these people twisting his views

Sir Nicholas, the Conservative MP for Mid Sussex, said the inclusion of his grandfather Sir Winston Churchill was “offensive”. “Vote Leave has absolutely no right to use my grandfather in their campaign, and they really must stop doing this immediately,” he said.

“Winston Churchill was a profound believer in the values of European co-operation and the need for it, and I am very disappointed to see these people twisting his views to suit their own ends.

“This is made more offensive to his family since they did not have the courtesy to consult us beforehand. The only decent course for Vote Leave is to take this video down and to apologise for their dishonourable action.”

Ms Pankhurst added: “Numbering Emmeline among the prominent supporters of the Vote Leave campaign is outrageous.

“The Pankhursts were great internationalists, believing in breaking down borders across the world. Although Emmeline was in favour of the First World War, she lived in, and loved, France.

“For Britain to move out of the European Union would have appalled her and her suffragette daughters.

“Today, her grandson Richard, his son and daughter Alula and Helen, and other members of the family around the world do not support the campaign to take Britain out of Europe.

“We ask that the mention of Emmeline in the video is removed – with an apology.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-use-their-images-anti-eu-film-a6805126.html

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see that [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] has come out of hiding to try and get the thread off topic, it's like [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] with my first dictionary :dunce:

Brexit is done, we have to move forward, didn't you get the message ?

But despite all of this whataboutery, all these things that he and the others knowingly voted for (because they did know what they were voting for, didn't they ???) continue to tear apart the UK and it's economy, and not a single suggestion of an answer from any of them :shrug:

1. The NI Protocol.
The NI Protocol, designed by the UK Government, negotiated and agreed with the EU, but the Government is not capable of implementing. So the Government have now broken International law, by ignoring the NIP and unilaterally stopping the agreed processes and procedures. Violence in NI is escalating. Something has to change.

2. The Fishing Industry
The actual deal on fishing rights was always secondary, with the regulations governing the exporting of fish to the EU for third parties already there (which UK helped define when members some years ago). In addition to these, we now have the new Export rules (see below). As we stand, the UK fishing industry will be obliterated within the year.

3.Exports
The deal negotiated and implemented has so many more regulations, taxes, ROI issues, that unless it's changed, this is going to have further significant impact across all areas of the economy. These ARE NOT 'teething issues'. If we continue to run as we are, the immediate risk to any industry, business and job that entails exports to the EU is huge.

4. Imports
We are currently running 'light touch' border controls and have pushed back the agreed implementation of the proper controls, because we have no infrastructure, systems, processes or staff in place to introduce them. In addition we are concerned what it would do to the cost and availability of goods in the UK if they are introduced, particularly in areas such as foodstuffs and fresh produce. In the meantime, we are not charging import taxes on goods coming in, undercutting British based competitors and we are open to VAT fraud and smuggling. In addition, because we have now stepped outside of the timescales agreed in the Brexit Trade deal, there will be pressure to make sure we offer this 'light touch' to every other country in the WTO

5. Financial Services
We are currently running with 'no deal' for financial services, with business haemorrhaging into the EU, US and elsewhere. We either need to negotiate Equivalence with the EU or undertake massive de-regulation to compete with places like Singapore. Without equivalence and passporting (which is looking increasingly unlikely with each week that passes), it will simply continue to pour out and without massive de-regulation, we won't be able to replace it with business from other markets.

All of these things pasta knew (apparently) were going to happen but when asked for a solution can only shout, Johnson style, 'Look over there'.

It really is pathetic :dunce:

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I see that [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] has come out of hiding to try and get the thread off topic, it's like [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] with a dictionary :dunce:

Brexit is done, we have to move forward, Didn't you get the message ?

But despite all of this whataboutery, all these things that he and the others knowingly voted for (because they did know what they were voting for) continue to tear apart the UK and it's economy, and not a single suggestion of an answer from any of them :shrug:

1. The NI Protocol.
The NI Protocol, designed by the UK Government, negotiated and agreed with the EU, but the Government is not capable of implementing. So the Government have now broken International law, by ignoring the NIP and unilaterally stopping the agreed processes and procedures. Violence in NI is escalating. Something has to change.

2. The Fishing Industry
The actual deal on fishing rights was always secondary, with the regulations governing the exporting of fish to the EU for third parties already there (which UK helped define when members some years ago). In addition to these, we now have the new Export rules (see below). As we stand, the UK fishing industry will be obliterated within the year.

3.Exports
The deal negotiated and implemented has so many more regulations, taxes, ROI issues, that unless it's changed, this is going to have further significant impact across all areas of the economy. These ARE NOT 'teething issues'. If we continue to run as we are, the immediate risk to any industry, business and job that entails exports to the EU is huge.

4. Imports
We are currently running 'light touch' border controls and have pushed back the agreed implementation of the proper controls, because we have no infrastructure, systems, processes or staff in place to introduce them. In addition we are concerned what it would do to the cost and availability of goods in the UK if they are introduced, particularly in areas such as foodstuffs and fresh produce. In the meantime, we are not charging import taxes on goods coming in, undercutting British based competitors and we are open to VAT fraud and smuggling. In addition, because we have now stepped outside of the timescales agreed in the Brexit Trade deal, there will be pressure to make sure we offer this 'light touch' to every other country in the WTO

5. Financial Services
We are currently running with 'no deal' for financial services, with business haemorrhaging into the EU, US and elsewhere. We either need to negotiate Equivalence with the EU or undertake massive de-regulation to compete with places like Singapore. Without equivalence and passporting (which is looking increasingly unlikely with each week that passes), it will simply continue to pour out and without massive de-regulation, we won't be able to replace it with business from other markets.

All of these things pasta knew (apparently) were going to happen but when asked for a solution can only shout, Johnson style, 'Look over there'.

Wow has your ability to type in bold been compromised?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And meanwhile, still on topic, the steel industry is the latest to take the kick in the nuts planned by the Brexit voters. It would have been nice if the Brexit voters who knew that they were voting for this, could have given the Steel Industry 5 years notice before they attempted to annihilate it :dunce:

British steel exports to EU plunged by a third after Brexit, sector figures show

British steel exports to the EU have plunged by a third in a fresh blow to the industry, experts revealed today. Shipments from the UK to the bloc dipped to just under 420,000 tonnes in the first three months of the year as the sector grappled with the Prime Minister's Brexit deal.

The figures suggest a huge plunge in selling steel to the Continent after Brexit transition arrangements finished on December 31 last year. British steel exporters used an average of just 59% of their quotas in the first quarter. It comes amid mounting fears for the future of Liberty Steel, which employs 3,000 workers at 11 UK plants, after the collapse of its main lender Greensill Capital.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-steel-exports-to-eu-plunged-by-a-third-after-brexit-sector-figures-show/ar-BB1frOfA?ocid=mailsignout

Thank god, there knew what they were voting for. Can you imagine what sort of a disaster it would be like if they hadn't :shootself

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wow has your ability to type in bold been compromised?

And another brilliant, thoughtful, informed and relevant post from one of the Brexit Brains Trust :dunce:

I'll bet you've been hanging around NSC for the last 4 hours waiting for me to get up and post so you could deliver that. Don't worry, I'll get on your desperate attention seeking posts from yesterday in a minute :lolol:

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And another brilliant, thoughtful, informed and relevant post from one of the Brexit Brains Trust :dunce:

I'll bet you've been hanging around NSC for the last 4 hours waiting for me to get up and post so you could deliver that. Don't worry, I'll get on your desperate attention seeking posts from yesterday in a minute :lolol:

I wouldn’t have it any other way, knowing that I have that much control over you feels me with deep joy, enjoy wasting yet another day of your slowly expiring life [emoji6]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And meanwhile, still on topic, the steel industry is the latest to take the kick in the nuts planned by the Brexit voters. It would have been nice if the Brexit voters who knew that they were voting for this, could have given the Steel Industry 5 years notice before they attempted to annihilate it :dunce:

British steel exports to EU plunged by a third after Brexit, sector figures show

British steel exports to the EU have plunged by a third in a fresh blow to the industry, experts revealed today. Shipments from the UK to the bloc dipped to just under 420,000 tonnes in the first three months of the year as the sector grappled with the Prime Minister's Brexit deal.

The figures suggest a huge plunge in selling steel to the Continent after Brexit transition arrangements finished on December 31 last year. British steel exporters used an average of just 59% of their quotas in the first quarter. It comes amid mounting fears for the future of Liberty Steel, which employs 3,000 workers at 11 UK plants, after the collapse of its main lender Greensill Capital.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/british-steel-exports-to-eu-plunged-by-a-third-after-brexit-sector-figures-show/ar-BB1frOfA?ocid=mailsignout

Thanks god, there knew what they were voting for. Can you imagine what it would be like if they hadn't :shootself

I was wrong, the bold is back [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So basically you've ignored everything every expert on Northern Ireland has been saying since long before the referendum? Figures.

The Times is now turning against Johnson, and when Murdoch gets his knife into someone....

[tweet]1380401963624493056[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wouldn’t have it any other way, knowing that I have that much control over you feels me with deep joy, enjoy wasting yet another day of your slowly expiring life [emoji6]

Someone is certainly in someone's head. I was joking but I see it actually was exactly 4 hours since your first post this morning that you had to wait to use your punchline :lolol:

Now your attention seeking post and quote on the Brexit thread from yesterday after I had disappeared. Obviously you were desperate for a response and I'm sorry it's taken so long. I hope you weren't waiting all this time.

Ahh bless, you got shoulder of Lamb tonight, remember it ain’t going to cook itself [emoji6]

I'm guessing that I once posted about cooking a shoulder of Lamb, but that doesn't mean I have shoulder of Lamb every night silly. There are lots of different 'types' of lamb. I've attached a picture as I think you do better with pictures.

LAMB_BASICS.jpg

Now, here comes even more complex stuff. There isn't only lots of different types of Lamb, there's different types of Beef, Pork, Venison, all sorts of game like Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail, all sorts of poultry like Chicken (yes, the one you know :wink:) Goose, Duck and, believe it or not, once you start getting into fish and seafood there are huge numbers of those two and not just fillet-o-fish.

Then there's at least as many grains, pulses, vegetables, fruit etc again :eek:

Now I'm not looking for sympathy, but I have to make these sort of complex decisions on a daily basis, just like when you decide to have 'slaw or BBQ Beans with your Bucket, and Curly fries for those special occasions :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry for going off topic but I worry that if [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] doesn't get a bit of attention, he'll go and get himself banned again :facepalm:

So, back on topic

Analysis: What is Brexit doing to Northern Ireland?

The renewed tension in Northern Ireland could have far-reaching implications for the future of the United Kingdom - and post-Brexit relations with the EU. The violence that has erupted this week on the streets of Belfast and other towns and cities in Northern Ireland has many causes.But anger about post-Brexit trading rules that came into force in February is a factor.The section of the Brexit deal known as the "protocol" was designed to protect the peace process by avoiding the need for checks on the border with Ireland.

But it also means that some European laws continue to apply in Northern Ireland. And that has reinforced long-held feelings among Unionists that they are being cut off from the rest of the UK - and that they've been misled by the UK government and that the EU is not listening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56678489

Now obviously Brexit isn't the only factor, but it is a very significant one. I just can't see what can be done to bring down the tensions.

Anyone :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry for going off topic but I worry that if [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] doesn't get a bit of attention, he'll go and get himself banned again :facepalm:

So, back on topic

The renewed tension in Northern Ireland could have far-reaching implications for the future of the United Kingdom - and post-Brexit relations with the EU. The violence that has erupted this week on the streets of Belfast and other towns and cities in Northern Ireland has many causes.But anger about post-Brexit trading rules that came into force in February is a factor.The section of the Brexit deal known as the "protocol" was designed to protect the peace process by avoiding the need for checks on the border with Ireland.

But it also means that some European laws continue to apply in Northern Ireland. And that has reinforced long-held feelings among Unionists that they are being cut off from the rest of the UK - and that they've been misled by the UK government and that the EU is not listening.

Now obviously Brexit isn't the only factor, but it is a very significant one. I just can't see what can be done to bring down the tensions.

Sadly this was predicted in this very thread a long time ago. For a nation where borders and identity are so intertwined it was inevitable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Someone is certainly in someone's head. I was joking but I see it actually was exactly 4 hours since your first post this morning that you had to wait to use your punchline :lolol:

Now your attention seeking post and quote on the Brexit thread from yesterday after I had disappeared. Obviously you were desperate for a response and I'm sorry it's taken so long. I hope you weren't waiting all this time.

I'm guessing that I once posted about cooking a shoulder of Lamb, but that doesn't mean I have shoulder of Lamb every night silly. There are lots of different 'types' of lamb. I've attached a picture as I think you do better with pictures.

View attachment 135715

Now, here comes even more complex stuff. There isn't only lots of different types of Lamb, there's different types of Beef, Pork, Venison, all sorts of game like Rabbit, Pheasant, Quail, all sorts of poultry like Chicken (yes, the one you know :wink:) Goose, Duck and, believe it or not, once you start getting into fish and seafood there are huge numbers of those two and not just fillet-o-fish.

Then there's at least as many grains, pulses, vegetables, fruit etc again :eek:

Now I'm not looking for sympathy, but I have to make these sort of complex decisions on a daily basis, just like when you decide to have 'slaw or BBQ Beans with your Bucket, and Curly fries for those special occasions :thumbsup:

You see now that’s funny, way funnier than your Brexit dribble, can we have more of this please[emoji120][emoji6]

Jan 30, 2008

So, back on topic

Can you give us a time frame for all this bad news I mean surely you're not going to be spewing it out indefinitely?, somehow I get the impression it's taken over your life, are you ok hun
Regards
DF

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So much so that we voted to leave:whistle: ,the Industrial revolution springs to mind was that a form of oppression in the country?
Regards
DF

A lot of those factory and mill owners did an awful lot of oppressing of the working class, yes. I assume history isn't really your bag?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No mention of NI on the flag. I believe specsavers is still open

Just a big (positive) mention of something which it has been repeatedly pointed out has the potential to restart the troubles, during which 1,441 British servicemen were killed. Weirdly then juxtaposed with a bit about how the creator of the flag remembers the fallen despite seemingly not caring at the potential for future trouble (and deaths). It's the indifference which grates.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I see that [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] has come out of hiding to try and get the thread off topic, it's like [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] with my first dictionary :dunce:

Brexit is done, we have to move forward, didn't you get the message ?

But despite all of this whataboutery, all these things that he and the others knowingly voted for (because they did know what they were voting for, didn't they ???) continue to tear apart the UK and it's economy, and not a single suggestion of an answer from any of them :shrug:

1. The NI Protocol.

2. The Fishing Industry

3.Exports

4. Imports

5. Financial Services

Some glimmer of light on financial services, there is an agreement to find an agreement on this, but with various member states currently benefiting from trade moving there, the EU don't need this to happen as quickly as we do, plus I guess they would cite the UK breaking an existing agreement as grounds for not trusting the UK with any further agreements if and when it suited the UK to break them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports