Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The Times is now turning against Johnson, and when Murdoch gets his knife into someone....

[tweet]1380401963624493056[/tweet]

TBH it was going to happen eventually. Boris' deal is starting to make Brexit look bad and some people (not the die-hards on here, obviously, but out in the real world) are starting to ask some rather awkward questions. If they can pin the deal on him then boot him out they'll be hoping he takes some of the heat with him and their anointed successor (either Gove or Sunak) will be instructed to pick up the pieces.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
TBH it was going to happen eventually. Boris' deal is starting to make Brexit look bad and some people (not the die-hards on here, obviously, but out in the real world) are starting to ask some rather awkward questions. If they can pin the deal on him then boot him out they'll be hoping he takes some of the heat with him and their anointed successor (either Gove or Sunak) will be instructed to pick up the pieces.

I suspect it will be Gove as he's keeping his head down, at present. It won't improve matters in the short term.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A lot of those factory and mill owners did an awful lot of oppressing of the working class, yes. I assume history isn't really your bag?

He would have been a Luddite anyway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Some glimmer of light on financial services, there is an agreement to find an agreement on this, but with various member states currently benefiting from trade moving there, the EU don't need this to happen as quickly as we do, plus I guess they would cite the UK breaking an existing agreement as grounds for not trusting the UK with any further agreements if and when it suited the UK to break them.

I think the MoU may have been signed as this was the Government's ever optimistic press release a week ago.

UK and EU secure Memorandum of Understanding on financial services but no progress on equivalence

The UK Government has announced that the UK and EU confirmed last Friday that they have agreed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to continue talks and co-operation on financial services. A government announcement said the MoU, once signed, would create “the framework for voluntary regulatory cooperation in financial services between the UK and the EU”.

The MoU will establish a Joint UK-EU Financial Regulatory Forum, which will serve as a platform to facilitate dialogue on financial services issues. It also foresees twice-yearly meetings of the UK chancellor and the EU commissioner for financial services.

According to the Telegraph, banking insiders have largely given up any hope of being granted equivalence and expect agreements to fall well short of free market access. “While the UK can dream about equivalence unlocking the door, the reality is likely to be limited to a few wholesale areas, contingent on good behaviour and unilaterally revocable,” said Simon Morris, a partner at law firm CMS. “The EU has repeatedly said that the UK can only hope for a second-class ticket offering,” he added.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/558426/UK-and-EU-secure-Memorandum-of-Understanding-on-financial-services-but-no-progress-on-equivalence.htm#:~:text=The%20UK%20and%20EU%20confirmed,the%20UK%20and%20the%20EU%E2%80%9D.

I really can't imagine why the EU would want to drag their heels on this.

So it appears it's full speed ahead then, with Sir Humphrey Appleton in charge :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the MoU may have been signed as this was the Government's ever optimistic press release a week ago.

UK and EU secure Memorandum of Understanding on financial services but no progress on equivalence

The UK Government has announced that the UK and EU confirmed last Friday that they have agreed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to continue talks and co-operation on financial services. A government announcement said the MoU, once signed, would create “the framework for voluntary regulatory cooperation in financial services between the UK and the EU”.

The MoU will establish a Joint UK-EU Financial Regulatory Forum, which will serve as a platform to facilitate dialogue on financial services issues. It also foresees twice-yearly meetings of the UK chancellor and the EU commissioner for financial services.

According to the Telegraph, banking insiders have largely given up any hope of being granted equivalence and expect agreements to fall well short of free market access. “While the UK can dream about equivalence unlocking the door, the reality is likely to be limited to a few wholesale areas, contingent on good behaviour and unilaterally revocable,” said Simon Morris, a partner at law firm CMS. “The EU has repeatedly said that the UK can only hope for a second-class ticket offering,” he added.

https://www.export.org.uk/news/558426/UK-and-EU-secure-Memorandum-of-Understanding-on-financial-services-but-no-progress-on-equivalence.htm#:~:text=The%20UK%20and%20EU%20confirmed,the%20UK%20and%20the%20EU%E2%80%9D.

I really can't imagine why the EU would want to drag their heels on this.

So it appears it's full speed ahead then, with Sir Humphrey Appleton in charge :lolol:

Having read the article in your link, I retract my previous statement suggesting a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, it seems there is just some gloom at the end of the tunnel.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Boris Johnson "Stands up for Britain"

[tweet]1380473737309515777[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm guessing this has already been used but today is the first time I've seen it...

[tweet]1380097887204483074[/tweet]

and am loving it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sorry for going off topic but I worry that if [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] doesn't get a bit of attention, he'll go and get himself banned again :facepalm:

So, back on topic

Analysis: What is Brexit doing to Northern Ireland?

The renewed tension in Northern Ireland could have far-reaching implications for the future of the United Kingdom - and post-Brexit relations with the EU. The violence that has erupted this week on the streets of Belfast and other towns and cities in Northern Ireland has many causes.But anger about post-Brexit trading rules that came into force in February is a factor.The section of the Brexit deal known as the "protocol" was designed to protect the peace process by avoiding the need for checks on the border with Ireland.

But it also means that some European laws continue to apply in Northern Ireland. And that has reinforced long-held feelings among Unionists that they are being cut off from the rest of the UK - and that they've been misled by the UK government and that the EU is not listening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56678489

Now obviously Brexit isn't the only factor, but it is a very significant one. I just can't see what can be done to bring down the tensions.

Anyone :shrug:

It is either :

- An EEA Brexit ( <---- wise choice ).

- Jettison NI from the UK ( Go independent or merge with ROI, their choice ).

- Ongoing endless violence.

:shrug:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I'm guessing this has already been used but today is the first time I've seen it...

[tweet]1380097887204483074[/tweet]

and am loving it.

Well if you don't buy into that lunacy and self destruction you become part of the 5th column collective

Jan 30, 2008
A lot of those factory and mill owners did an awful lot of oppressing of the working class, yes. I assume history isn't really your bag?

Yes but they were the founders of the greatest revolution of our time you could hardly say the same of the EU
Regards
DF

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Boris Johnson "Stands up for Britain"

[tweet]1380473737309515777[/tweet]

what was really disheartening is is the bloke saying that if he was asked to vote again he is not sure what he would vote... his hatred for a country which he should be part off is greater than his hatred of people who lied and lied about brexit and over the last 100 years or more have shafted the working class in NI, though admittedly they shafted the protestant side less than the catholic side. Really don't understand his thinking in a world with a global economy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It is either :

- An EEA Brexit ( <---- wise choice ).

- Jettison NI from the UK ( Go independent or merge with ROI, their choice ).

- Ongoing endless violence.

:shrug:

There was a time when I thought it was impossible that the Conservative and Unionist party would through the NI Unionists under the bus.

But this June 2019 poll demonstrated they had been infiltrated by English Nationalists and from that moment on it was clear they would go a similar route to the Republican party in the USA

Capture.PNG

Anyone who is moderate and still voting Tory in kidding themselves. They now a populist nationalist cult with authoritarian aspirations...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's very quiet on here. Surely, it's not possible that the penny has actually dropped and some of our more naive friends on here have, for the first time 5 years later, actually found out what they voted for :dunce:

SmugMeatyHydatidtapeworm-small.gif

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's very quiet on here. Surely, it's not possible that the penny has actually dropped and some of our more naive friends on here have, for the first time 5 years later, actually found out what they voted for :dunce:
What are your plans for this weekend, doing anything nice?

chimp.jpg

It appears not. It seems that the potent mix of sticking your fingers in your ears, shouting 'Project Fear', desperate attempts at derailing and whataboutism, gross stupidity, naivety, hoping it will all go away, and avoiding any reference whatsoever to any aspect of Brexit, on the Brexit thread, still wins the day in certain quarters :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
View attachment 135742

It appears not. It seems that the potent mix of sticking your fingers in your ears, shouting 'Project Fear', desperate attempts at derailing and whataboutism, gross stupidity, hoping it will all go away, and avoiding any reference whatsoever to any aspect of Brexit, on the Brexit thread, still wins the day in certain quarters :lolol:

Oh well , have a good one anyway staring at your screen, cu Monday [emoji6]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here