Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So 'Taking back control', meant a free run for smugglers and tax evaders for at least another year :facepalm:

New delays to post-Brexit import controls announced despite tax evasion and smuggling fears

The UK has announced further delays to post-Brexit import controls, despite warnings the move will be a boon for tax cheats and smugglers. Full controls on animal products were due to be enforced next month and other customs declarations introduced in July, having been shelved from January to ease pressures at the border.

* Live customs import declarations – with deferrals allowed until January, instead of July.

* Safety and Security Declarations for imports – which will not be required until January.

* Physical inspections on products of animal origin – so-called sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls – until January.

* Live animal checks and inspections of plant products – until March 2022.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-import-control-delay-eu-latest-b1815815.html

And yet the EU managed to introduce all of these things on exports from the UK on Jan 1st. Pushing back these dates doesn't make any of these issues with the Irish Sea Border or the Customs import procedures go away, it just delays the inevitable.

Johnson has managed to sell, negotiate and sign off a 'Brexit Good Deal' which is still as completely unimplementable in a years time as it is today.

If only someone could have predicted this :shootself

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So 'Taking back control', meant a free run for smugglers and tax evaders for at least another year :facepalm:

New delays to post-Brexit import controls announced despite tax evasion and smuggling fears

The UK has announced further delays to post-Brexit import controls, despite warnings the move will be a boon for tax cheats and smugglers. Full controls on animal products were due to be enforced next month and other customs declarations introduced in July, having been shelved from January to ease pressures at the border.

* Live customs import declarations – with deferrals allowed until January, instead of July.

* Safety and Security Declarations for imports – which will not be required until January.

* Physical inspections on products of animal origin – so-called sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) controls – until January.

* Live animal checks and inspections of plant products – until March 2022.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-import-control-delay-eu-latest-b1815815.html

And yet the EU managed to introduce all of these things on exports from the UK on Jan 1st. Pushing back these dates doesn't make any of these issues with the Irish Sea Border or the Customs import procedures go away, it just delays the inevitable.

Johnson has managed to sell, negotiate and sign off a 'Brexit Good Deal' which is still as completely unimplementable in a years time as it is today.

If only someone could have predicted this :shootself

They spent £100m+ of our money telling us to get ready and they're not ready at all.

Pretty embarrasing, 12-15 months behind the EU. What a mess...

Are the WTO in agreement with all this?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They spent £100m+ of our money telling us to get ready and they're not ready at all.

It'll be interesting to see what the WTO's view is on this. I believe that as part of the 'Trade deal' signed with the EU, we agreed that the EU would have regulation free import access to the UK for the agreed limited period (3 & 6 months respectively) whilst we 'prepared' to put the agreed customs procedures in place. They would then fall in line with all the agreed regulations as documented in the 'Trade deal'.

If, under the 'taking back control' mantra, we have now unilaterally decided to grant free access to the EU outside of any defined in the 'Trade Deal', it's possible there may be a case for the WTO saying that we should grant it worldwide as it is not part of any Trade deal and therefor falls under WTO's Most Favoured Nation rules.

I really don't know what their view will be (I suspect we will find out), but you can see how they may be able to make a case that if we are giving free reign to the EU's tax dodgers and smugglers outside of any Trade agreement, then that same benefit should be given worldwide.

Still, I'm sure the Government will have given due consideration to this, just like they did the Northern Ireland Protocol, the financial services markets, the implementation of Import procedures, the impact of selling fish to the EU, Exports using rules of origin and tariffs etc etc :wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It'll be interesting to see what the WTO's view is on this. I believe that as part of the 'Trade deal' signed with the EU, we agreed that the EU would have regulation free import access to the UK for the agreed limited period (3 & 6 months respectively) whilst we 'prepared' to put the agreed customs procedures in place. They would then fall in line with all the agreed regulations as documented in the 'Trade deal'.

If, under the 'taking back control' mantra, we have now unilaterally decided to grant free access to the EU outside of any defined in the 'Trade Deal', it's possible there may be a case for the WTO saying that we should grant it worldwide as it is not part of any Trade deal and therefor falls under WTO's Most Favoured Nation rules.

I really don't know what their view will be (I suspect we will find out), but you can see how they may be able to make a case that if we are giving free reign to the EU's tax dodgers and smugglers outside of any Trade agreement, then that same benefit should be given worldwide.

Still, I'm sure the Government will have given due consideration to this, just like they did the Northern Ireland Protocol, the financial services markets, the implementation of Import procedures, the impact of selling fish to the EU, Exports using rules of origin and tariffs etc etc :wink:

All up seems like pretty good news for EU exporters with the added bonus truck drivers don't even need to bother to get a Covid test to enter the UK

#takingbackcontrol

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

That was my initial thought. Technically this puts the UK in breach of most favoured nation rules. Who will be the first third nation country to file a complaint at the WTO? The wheels of the WTO turn so slow the UK will have probably rejoined in many years to come by the time any complaint was heard.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Some of the government ads on commercial radio are pitiful, " If you are a chocolatier from York we can help you get your product to Toronto or Mexico...." pretty much a consolation prize if you can't get your product 22 miles over The Channel!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some of the government ads on commercial radio are pitiful, " If you are a chocolatier from York we can help you get your product to Toronto or Mexico...." pretty much a consolation prize if you can't get your product 22 miles over The Channel!

Still waiting to hear where the new untapped market is and what we are going to sell them ?

4 years on here, still nothing...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In the same way that it is not true to say that the Leave vote in the UK was all about immigration, it is not true to say the French or Dutch referendum votes against were all made to reject ever closer union. I don't mind disagreeing with French or Dutch leaders, I often disagree with the opinions of our own.

The constitution was not put forward again, it was killed. The Lisbon treaty was a donor recipient of a lot of the parts, it was up to each member state if they wanted to hold a referendum on the Lisbon treaty, or not. The EU may have reckoned that the Lisbon treaty would be less likely to see referendums, but Ireland had one still.

I regret not being impeccably precise with my wording, yes some changes to treaties could be made without a referendum, things like removing the name of a country that has left, or adding a new members name to the treaties, i.e. things that would have had no consequence to the EU UK relationship. The criteria were clear and it would not have been a case of a minister deciding for himself, it would be a legal requirement in the correct circumstances.

I tell you what, you tell me how you imagine the referendum requirement on a material change to the treaties could have been circumvented, and I will stop telling you its a fact that it could not have been.

As I said previously other topics can get drawn into a referendum but that doesn't detract from the fact that both referendum questions made clear it was about giving approval to an EU constitution (ever closer Union).

"Are you For or Against approval by the Netherlands of the treaty establishing a constitution for Europe?"

"Do you approve the bill authorising the ratification of the treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe?"

Forgive me for believing EU supporting Prime Ministers and Presidents and the architect of the EU constitution opinions more than your views.

Yes, some changes made to treaties would be exempt including adding a new members name to a treaty but that would mean a new member had joined, which would obviously impact the UK eg their countries citizens would have the right to work and live here, that country would have a veto and vote on issues covered by qualified majority voting, that country would have to join the Eurozone increasing that blocks influence on the future direction of the EU. A minister decides what is a significant change but yes a legal challenge could be made if others disagreed but there is no guarantee such a challenge would be successful. The parliamentary scrutiny committee identified similar concerns at the time .. 'We think the possibility for successful judicial review of a ministerial decision whether a transfer of power under clause 4(1)(i) and (j) is significant will, in practice, be limited.' The previous shows further integration and material changes to the UK's place in the EU could occur despite having a so-called referendum lock preventing this from happening.

If you would have asked a person voting against the creation of an EU constitution in a referendum what specific device would be used to circumvent their vote would they have known? What we do know (if we are being honest) is the EU has form in circumventing democratic votes and politicians lie.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All up seems like pretty good news for EU exporters with the added bonus truck drivers don't even need to bother to get a Covid test to enter the UK

#takingbackcontrol
UK- German exports have crashed twice as much as German-UK imports. So the Germans have the last laugh again.... And to think we won the bloody war!

D

Deleted member 22389

More positive news.

GE Renewable Energy to open new offshore wind blade manufacturing plant in Teesside
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/ge-rene...-blade-manufacturing-plant-in-teesside/#ukmfg

New £9 million factory set to create 237 jobs in South Yorkshire
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/new-9-million-factory-set-to-create-237-jobs-in-south-yorkshire/

Smurfit Kappa announces £34 million investment in North Wales
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/smurfit-kappa-announces-34-million-investment-in-north-wales/

Swedish manufacturer Oatly to create 200 jobs at its first factory in the UK
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/swedish...eate-200-jobs-at-its-first-factory-in-the-uk/

Hitachi Rail’s investment in North East factory reaches £110 million
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/hitachi-rails-investment-in-north-east-factory-reaches-110-million/

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
More positive news.

GE Renewable Energy to open new offshore wind blade manufacturing plant in Teesside
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/ge-rene...-blade-manufacturing-plant-in-teesside/#ukmfg

New £9 million factory set to create 237 jobs in South Yorkshire
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/new-9-million-factory-set-to-create-237-jobs-in-south-yorkshire/

Smurfit Kappa announces £34 million investment in North Wales
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/smurfit-kappa-announces-34-million-investment-in-north-wales/

Swedish manufacturer Oatly to create 200 jobs at its first factory in the UK
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/swedish...eate-200-jobs-at-its-first-factory-in-the-uk/

Hitachi Rail’s investment in North East factory reaches £110 million
https://www.mtdmfg.com/news/hitachi-rails-investment-in-north-east-factory-reaches-110-million/

Very good news :thumbsup:

But with not a single one of those links having anything to do with the subject of this thread, it's just another pathetic attempt at derailing the thread which the mods have asked you not to do, and have said infractions will be issued for :facepalm:

Why don't you start a 'good news thread' in the main board and post this there rather than keep trying to derail the Brexit thread which is completely unrelated :shrug:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The only big problem is getting out of covid all the guff about Brexit is a side show
Regards
DF

Yeap the consequences of having the Vote Leave clowns in charge during the global pandemic are worse than Brexit

But I wouldn't brag about that

D

Deleted member 22389

Very good news :thumbsup:

But with not a single one of those links having anything to do with the subject of this thread Brexit, it's just another pathetic derailing of the thread which the mods have asked you not to do :facepalm:

Why don't you start a 'good news thread' in the main board and post this there rather than keep trying to derail a completely unrelated thread.

These job postings have everything to do with Brexit, as we were told countless times companies would no longer invest in this country after Brexit.
Have a good weekend.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
These job postings have everything to do with Brexit, as we were told countless times companies would no longer invest in this country after Brexit.
Have a good weekend.

I have no idea what you think you were told or what you believed, or by whom (although I could take a fairly educated guess), but I can assure you that constantly posting links to Stuart Whitehead's social media account for marketing releases in the manufacturing sector has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. It is pure idiocy and simply derailing the thread, even if you don't understand why :dunce:

Sorry

And it's only thursday, but you have a good weekend yourself tomorrow :lolol:

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

I have no idea what you think you were told or what you believed, or by whom (although I could take a fairly educated guess), but I can assure you that constantly posting links to Stuart Whitehead's social media account for marketing releases in the manufacturing sector has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. It is pure idiocy and simply derailing the thread, even if you don't understand why :dunce:

Sorry

And it's only thursday, but you have a good weekend yourself tomorrow :lolol:

Please read the following thread
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?385358-Warning-Abuse-and-name-calling

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Global bosses backing Britain

UK ranks higher in best investment destinations post-Brexit

The UK has overtaken India as the world’s fourth most promising growth opportunity, according to PwC’s annual CEO Survey. America, China and Germany remained the top three.

Writing in The Times today, Kevin Ellis, chairman of PwC UK, says: “The UK’s positive standing highlights what matters most to global business leaders.

“The EU trade deal drew to a close much of the uncertainty around Brexit. It’s hard to overestimate the importance of political certainty and stability when it comes to CEO decision making.”

PwC surveyed 5,050 chief executives from 100 countries in January and February. Half of the bosses ran businesses with annual revenues of more than $1 billion and 60 per cent were private. The survey found that 11 per cent of bosses chose the UK as a top three growth target, up from 9 per cent in autumn 2019 when the survey was last conducted. The rebound in Britain’s fortunes confounds gloomy predictions in previous PwC surveys about its status after Brexit.

Chinese executives were particularly interested in Britain, with 13 per cent putting it in their top three investment targets, compared with 3 per cent in 2019. A quarter of India’s bosses put the UK in the top three, up from 9.5 per cent in 2019. Interest in Britain as a growth prospect also increased in Canada and New Zealand.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/global-bosses-backing-britain-krrmmvfrb

Global bosses backing Britain, shame a few more on here don't ..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
UK- German exports have crashed twice as much as German-UK imports. So the Germans have the last laugh again.... And to think we won the bloody war!

Look after importers and throw our own British exporters under the bus. Great work

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here