Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Important update for kids planning to study abroad now Johnson has cut the Erasmus scheme.

New ‘Erasmus’ scheme will not pay tuition or travel costs and living allowance slashed

The replacement for the Erasmus study exchange scheme will not fund tuition or travel costs, it has emerged – and the living allowance has been slashed. The reality of the new project has triggered fresh accusations that ministers are crushing the hopes of huge numbers of students who want to live, study and travel abroad.

Boris Johnson promised last year that there was “no threat” to the hugely-popular Erasmus programme, but his Brexit trade deal then pulled the plug.

And, most significantly, free studies in any EU country, plus some others in Europe, has been replaced by pressure on universities and colleges to strike deals. “Turing Scheme funding is not available for tuition fees,” its website admits. “There is an expectation that HE providers will agree tuition fee waivers with their partner HE providers, in order to facilitate student study placements.”

The replacement was already under fire over a claim that 35,000 students in universities, colleges and schools would go on placements and exchanges, from this September. Ministers were unable to explain how a scheme costing only £100m could fund the travels of 35,000 students – working out at only £2,850 each.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/new-erasmus-scheme-will-not-pay-tuition-or-travel-costs-and-living-allowance-slashed/ar-BB1epCb3

I know this will be a major concern to some NSCers who were planning to study abroad or who have kids wanting to do the same :down:
Vote for the idiots we have in charge, get the idiotic policies they impose. :shrug:

By my reckoning there are 3 election cycles to go before my daughter might want to study overseas. I hope we can put this right in one of those elections.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Vote for the idiots we have in charge, get the idiotic policies they impose. :shrug:

By my reckoning there are 3 election cycles to go before my daughter might want to study overseas. I hope we can put this right in one of those elections.

They can still travel and study abroad, just not at the taxpayers expense..
Suck it up buttercup.. we’re out [emoji636]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They can still travel and study abroad, just not at the taxpayers expense..
Suck it up buttercup.. we’re out [emoji636]

But your response does rather assume that no one would be stupid enough to vote for Brexit if they had a child wanting to study abroad under Erasmus, in the next few years, doesn't it ???

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
But your response does rather assume that no one would be stupid enough to vote for Brexit if they had a child wanting to study abroad under Erasmus, in the next few years, doesn't it ???

indeed, and you would have thought if Brexit was brilliant no one would need to suck anything up, bit of an oxymoron?

It is a strange position to take, taking pleasure at others misfortune for something you voted for becoming demonstrably worse for everyone even though they still buy into it?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So, no contribution to the subject of the post, which you claim you don't understand anyway, just trying to derail the thread as you originally did with your pretend humour

:dunce:

ah pretend humour , where would we be without it....:)..? probably in the same spot with you lot and your pretend enemies/freinds....you really gotta larff intch ya..?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
ah pretend humour , where would we be without it....:)..? probably in the same spot with you lot and your pretend enemies/freinds....you really gotta larff intch ya..?

Another well considered, factually sound and lucid contribution to subject of the thread :thumbsup:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
so how do you feel for this chap ..?? no doubt the fishermen were always going to be shafted , they must have been told some propper porkies.

half of me feels sorry, half doesn't. Unlike Brexiters I don't wish for others to suffer, I could just say he should suck it up. Then again, it does highlight that taking back control means the exact opposite, you can fish all you like but ultimately meaningless if you can't sell it, that was pretty obvious from the get go, and if you buy into the snake oil salesmen like Boris and Farage more fool you

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
half of me feels sorry, half doesn't. Unlike Brexiters I don't wish for others to suffer, I could just say he should suck it up. Then again, it does highlight that taking back control means the exact opposite, you can fish all you like but ultimately meaningless if you can't sell it, that was pretty obvious from the get go, and if you buy into the snake oil salesmen like Boris and Farage more fool you

The question is are the victims of Brexit going to continue to consume more snake oil? Admitting you were wrong and persuaded to vote against your own interests is a very difficult thing to do

What we are learning is the cost of having the Vote Leave government of clueless individuals in charge during a pandemic is the additional indirect cost of Brexit. Its incompetence everywhere you look resulting a huge long term social economic and geo political cost

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The question is are the victims of Brexit going to continue to consume more snake oil? Admitting you were wrong and persuaded to vote against your own interests is a very difficult thing to do

What we are learning is the cost of having the Vote Leave government of clueless individuals in charge during a pandemic is the additional indirect cost of Brexit. Its incompetence everywhere you look resulting a huge long term social economic and geo political cost
I have every sympathy for all the victims of Brexit even those who kept sticking their fingers in their ears repeating " la la la, can't hear you, Project Fear ".

However, someone needs to drag all the victims together and get a real movement going towards joining the EEA and fixing things as much as we can as quickly as possible. Where is that Politician ?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I have every sympathy for all the victims of Brexit even those who kept sticking their fingers in their ears repeating " la la la, can't hear you, Project Fear ".

However, someone needs to drag all the victims together and get a real movement going towards joining the EEA and fixing things as much as we can as quickly as possible. Where is that Politician ?

We’re out...we’ve left... get use to it.
Born to win [emoji636]

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This is like teaching Baldrick to count.

The French and Dutch referendums, killed the EU constitution, it went away, later, a set of amendments were created by the EU and member states, and France and the Netherlands signed up to it without a referendum, THAT COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED IN THE UK AFTER 2011!

Please try to think, thinking is so important.

The aim of ever closer union is an aspiration, it will only be achieved at the rate of the least keen member, or, if the EU were to create a two "speed" EU, and then, the ever closer union would create a divide. There is nothing in any of the existing treaties that would have bound us to sign up to further treaties or amendments, the only way to get around the referendum requirement would be to repeal that law, and a government would only get away with doing that if the country was massively pro EU, and if that were the case, the government would have nothing to fear from a referendum.
Your surefire solution, leaving, means that the law that would have required a referendum on treaty changes has been repealed, and I bet that it does not get reinstated when we rejoin in a few years time, so in the fullness of time, you should be able to say that you played a part in clearing the path towards a United States of Europe.

This is like conversing with a deluded Europhile intent on making things up as he goes along.

You have claimed the Referendum reverses in France and the Netherlands were not a rejection of ever closer union (see EU Constitution) ... the French President and the Dutch PM disagreed.

You claim "The French and Dutch referendums killed the constitution" yet the leading architect of the Constitution, Giscard d'Estaing said the treaty differs from the abandoned constitution in "approach rather than content" .... The authors of the new treaty, he says, have taken the original draft constitution and "blown it apart into separate elements".They have then "re-attached them, one by one, to existing treaties".Changes to the original constitution - such as jettisoning references to a European flag and anthem - were made to "head off any threat of referenda" thus avoiding that democratic roadblock you dismissed previously...Farage bumjuice indeed.

Next, you state so-called facts which aren't facts "it does not change the fact that in the UK a law was brought in requiring that both houses of Parliament and the electorate had to give consent before any treaty changes or new treaties with the EU could be signed up to, it is just a fact," - Not true as I explained previously.

Finally, you end up trying to misrepresent my point. I didn't claim a UK referendum could be ignored in the same way I said there is no guarantee a way could not be found to circumvent that result as well.

I will bank your prediction of us rejoining in a few years time and place it alongside your Brexit recession prediction in the comedy vault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here