Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
GDP Growth for last quarter = 0%. Going well, eh? Seriously, it'll be the next quarter that is interesting. Johnson's pre-Brexit hype was that there was pent-up foreign direct and investment just waiting for the Brexit green light.

Lots of borrowing ahead and tax rises, Brexit has to paid for.

Still if lose your job and have sell the motor, there will be more buses (hopefully ones with honest slogans on them)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
prophet of doom

Synonyms for prophet of doom:

complainer
dampener
grouch
moaner
pessimist
whiner
doomsdayer
grinch
partypooper
stick in the mud
wet blanket

Sell the benefits, you won. Its your baby...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We’re getting rid of mythical bureaucratic red tape (which was actually the Single Market introduced by Margaret Thatcher) to put all the British red tape in place.

Ah, but I hear you say, we are going to have Freeports. Oh, you mean those Freeports we had back in 2012 (whilst in the EU), and abandoned because they were useless.

They knew what they were voting for!

There are over 80 Freeport’s across the EU, but, apparently EU rules banned us from having them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are over 80 Freeport’s across the EU, but, apparently EU rules banned us from having them.

Still the leavers won’t accept the con trick. There’s nothing to be ashamed of in admitting you believed the lies, but a lot get very angry, when you try to say it is lies.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Still the leavers won’t accept the con trick. There’s nothing to be ashamed of in admitting you believed the lies, but a lot get very angry, when you try to say it is lies.

....but even more are saying that all the problems lie with the EU and/or lack of optimism from sceptics. Who could have predicted that?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

That wont soothe their emotion vs reality voting decision.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It seems a lot are still very concerned about being 'right' over a decision which has already been and gone.

Johnson will get a disastrous deal as he is still obsessed by the deadline, rather than what is actually in the deal. 'Ditch the Deadline' is the slogan he really needs.

Unfortunately, the course for the rocks is set and the wheel is lashed in place. Not good, for anyone.

The best case now is booting the government out in 5 years and then sorting things out from there. Best hope labour get an electable leader, and I am NOT talking about you, Long Bailey.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I assume the presenter called him out on it?

Yes - she gave him a hard time. But these guys have very thick skins. Her attack line was basically that why did Johnson promise something (frictionless trade) that he couldn't guarantee. She could have added that Johnson's posturings have taken us further way from this with just about every utterance since he became PM.
But it will still be the fault of the EU, of course. (Not forgetting some of us; the enemy within.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It seems a lot are still very concerned about being 'right' over a decision which has already been and gone.

Johnson will get a disastrous deal as he is still obsessed by the deadline, rather than what is actually in the deal. 'Ditch the Deadline' is the slogan he really needs.

Unfortunately, the course for the rocks is set and the wheel is lashed in place. Not good, for anyone.

The best case now is booting the government out in 5 years and then sorting things out from there. Best hope labour get an electable leader, and I am NOT talking about you, Long Bailey.

For all the lies and cheating of the Tories, and the way they have carried on, damaging the country, I'd still rather Brexit was a success and I could totally be put back in my box. I was the remoaner and in the end I was just plain wrong

But there's has to be more than just hope, belief, optimism, slogans and rhetoric. There has be tangible benefits and nothing of significance has been forthcoming

As for Labour, I hope they get someone decent, Starmer is the best of a bad bunch. Who knows by 2024 we might be back to believing in reality again

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Her attack line was basically that why did Johnson promise something (frictionless trade) that he couldn't guarantee.

That's not quite true though, is it? He could guarantee it as the EU certainly wanted things to be as least disruptive as possible. It was his decision to diverge as much as possible from the current arrangement.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's not quite true though, is it? He could guarantee it as the EU certainly wanted things to be as least disruptive as possible. It was his decision to diverge as much as possible from the current arrangement.

A fair point although just how much the post-Brexit trade (outside of the SEM and CU) could ever be 'frictionless' is a moot point. But yes, he has tacked away from this. I think one of the problems of trying to deconstruct or even discern a Johnson position on anything is that he is someone who will say just about anything at any time as long as he perceives it as in his interests. So I think his 'guarantee' would (as they once said about the Social Contract) have been 'not worth the paper it wasn't written on'.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

The EU certainly did want things to be as least disruptive as possible, but only so far as this did not compromise the integrity of the single market. Brexiteers have always known this to be true but with cunning cynicism created a win-win situation for themselves - "It will be the easiest deal in history and if it isn't it will be because the EU wants to punish us."

Cummins (I suspect) set this narrative up before the referendum and we can now see it being played out.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
prophet of doom

Synonyms for prophet of doom:

complainer
dampener
grouch
moaner
pessimist
whiner
doomsdayer
grinch
partypooper
stick in the mud
wet blanket

Also see 5th column..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

Hands up who predicted that UK GDP growth in 2019 would be better than 2018 and we would be the third fastest-growing major economy in 2019, behind the US and Canada?

:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also see 5th column..

Hands up who predicted that UK GDP growth in 2019 would be better than 2018 and we would be the third fastest-growing major economy in 2019, behind the US and Canada?

Not me.

But I am more concerned about what happens after we leave, rather than before. :wink:

That said, it probably won't be 'too bad'. The nation is still enjoying a Boris Bounce.

I was impressed by his 'get HS2 done' vim today. Albeit, let's see if he does it the English way (by cutting corners so it is all a bit shit in the end, like Connex South East, South Central, the M25, etc.) or the Chinese way (like it says on the tin, but by crushing all obstacles before them, including human lives) ???

Good evening, JCFG, by the way :thumbsup:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1227175536063021057[/TWEET]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Also see 5th column..

Hands up which ardent Unionist supporter on NSC predicted Sinn Fein's remarkable result in Ireland ???

Still, it's called the Conservative and Unionist party for now, isn't it ?

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Also see 5th column..

GDP growth

2014 - 3.1%
2015 - 2.3%
2016 - 1.9%
2017 - 1.8%
2018 - 1.4%
2019 - 1.1%

£130B in lost growth since the vote, est £200B by end 2020

What Moggy say 50 years was it to see any benefit?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes - she gave him a hard time. But these guys have very thick skins. Her attack line was basically that why did Johnson promise something (frictionless trade) that he couldn't guarantee. She could have added that Johnson's posturings have taken us further way from this with just about every utterance since he became PM.
But it will still be the fault of the EU, of course. (Not forgetting some of us; the enemy within.)

Whatever deal boris does the next parliament will likely improve it, by being more closely aligned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here