Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It has to be passed by parliament. There is no majority in parliament for such a scenario. The only way is to call an election or to prorogue. Johnson has ruled out an election. It is unthinkable that it would be prorogued.

On October 31st we will have had the leaving date extended (or be leaving with the current, perhaps slightly amended, deal).

dont think parliament does have to pass anything. i thought they had to approve too but couple things read/heard that said leaving happens as default. make sense as thats behind the threat of prorogue, close parliament to make it happen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
dont think parliament does have to pass anything. i thought they had to approve too but couple things read/heard that said leaving happens as default. make sense as thats behind the threat of prorogue, close parliament to make it happen.

Further legislation has to pass through parliament before the UK can leave the EU- bills on trade, agriculture, fisheries, immigration and financial services. There is a cross-party group at work to try and scupper no deal. The most likely method would be to tag amendments to this legislation that would prevent it.

The nuclear option, failing that, is to bring down the government. That would need a few Tory MPs to commit the ultimate betrayal. But it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can you tell me why we shouldn't open up to all the ****ing global markets and make our own trade deals. So making our own deals defies common sense? In my opinion being tied to the eu defies common sense but that's my opinion. Paying millions sorry billions in the process. Why? As for kangaroo burgers I've never tried them. Have you? You might like them but your completely dismissive of any suggestion that we just might be alright outside of the eu. Now that is totally unfathomable to you. Totally intolerant to that thought aren't you?

Yes, making our own trade deals defies common sense, when to do so we have to give up the best trading terms possible with our biggest markets, and lose the ability to sell many services into the EU altogether, when we are primarily a service economy.
There is more to the EU than the customs union, we get pretty good value for money from our contributions, it could be better, there is waste, there is inefficiency, but then we have Chris Grayling, the EU are not that bad.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Lever, explain how are we going to remain under the control of the EU in ANY event? How are you going to stop the 'divorce' The winners will not put up with remaining nor under a vassal treaty. HOW will you remainers STOP that?

What are you going to do if we do leave on the current withdrawal agreement? Or how are you going to stop that happening?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That doesn't mean I don't like immigrants you prick. I was explaining that we are constantly being told that how hard they work. When sometimes that isn't true. For your information I have very good polish friends whom are very hard working lads. So don't dare tar me with the racist brush because you know nothing about me. If you did you would know that I have mixed race in my family. Now all you need to do now is call me homophobic one day and I'll explain to you exactly why I'm not. Have a good night.

Is it because you like willies?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The merriment continues ... one poll is now the considered view of the UK public if it suits your argument and passing off your partisan opinion as a 'fact' ... oh my aching sides.

Footy Genius - You put up links to the Guido Fawkes blog site and Spiked Online, for goodness sake. Who murdered Diana, Princess of Wales incidentally? Was it The Duke of Edinburgh and Tony Blair or was it Ryan Giggs?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

There'll be another delay bill like Cooper's if it looks like defaulting to no deal brexit. Parliament will have its say one way or the other.

Jan 30, 2008
Can you explain to me what is the ****ing point of “opening up the British market to Australian agriculture exports.” when we have perfectly good, if not better, agriculture on this side of the planet right next door. It defies common sense to unravel all this and replace it with something, at best, similar. Why?. Or maybe there’s a massive unmet need for kangaroo burgers and shite beer which I’ve missed?

Shite Beer , kangaroo meat ???, you're so pretentious
Regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, making our own trade deals defies common sense, when to do so we have to give up the best trading terms possible with our biggest markets, and lose the ability to sell many services into the EU altogether, when we are primarily a service economy.
There is more to the EU than the customs union, we get pretty good value for money from our contributions, it could be better, there is waste, there is inefficiency, but then we have Chris Grayling, the EU are not that bad.

Scared of change ??? Get back under the Bed
Regards
DR

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Can you tell me why we shouldn't open up to all the ****ing global markets and make our own trade deals. So making our own deals defies common sense? In my opinion being tied to the eu defies common sense but that's my opinion. Paying millions sorry billions in the process. Why? As for kangaroo burgers I've never tried them. Have you? You might like them but your completely dismissive of any suggestion that we just might be alright outside of the eu. Now that is totally unfathomable to you. Totally intolerant to that thought aren't you?

You are TOTALLY RIGHT! It's just a matter of common-sense. Have a think about each of these 10 points. They don't add up to an unanswerable case, but I think that they might challenge your analysis.

1. We've built up a network of extremely complex trading relationships. (In simple terms a bit like like having regular customers in a shop - knowing what they want.)

2. We're in a single market (in fact 'we' almost invented it). So it makes trade easier. No-one really argues with this (have you heard anyone?); it is unique and of great commercial value.

3. They are our main customers; the figures don't lie. We really do need them (and yes, they need us).

4. They are geographically proximate. Like popping down to your local shop rather than having to drive a 100 mile round trip.

5. We trade between each other on preferential terms (customs union).

6. We have deals with other countries (customers) through our membership of the EU. It gives us a global reach (eg new trade deal with Japan).

7. As a single block we have more weight in global trading rules.

8. Even if it was advantageous to be out on our own, we'd need to make very complex deals with lots of different trade partners on a bi-lateral basis. This takes time and resources.

9. It looks like the world could be moving (Trump) in the direction of new protectionism. Not a good time to leave a (relatively) safe harbour.

10. Even if you disagree with each of the above there's one thing that is agreed by all: in the short term, there will be huge and costly disruption. Who knows - in the long term it could all work out. But as our most famous economist once said - 'in the long term we all dead'.

So - dislike the EU for all you are worth. But on pragmatic ground there's a very good case to stay in (there are other grounds too - but we'd disagree about those) or to put it another way, we'll all pay a big price if we leave, especially with no deal.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Oh yes. [MENTION=17469]melias shoes[/MENTION] is an enabler, because he idley stands by and won't report other people for not working full hours. Just whine about it on here. You were vary angry about immigrants at the time. You have been found out again so you have resorted to insults.

WZ didn't call you racist.
Have a good night and chill, calm down, and relax.

It was what he was insinuating. The people I was talking about at the time were a different trade. I was merely pointing out that they are not all hard working as we are lead to believe. I'm not angry about immigrants whatsoever. It seems to be the default setting that we get called bigots/racists just because we want to quit the eu.
As for insulting him this is the man that can insult with the best of them. Usually a disguised one not necessarily up front.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
You are TOTALLY RIGHT! It's just a matter of common-sense. Have a think about each of these 10 points. They don't add up to an unanswerable case, but I think that they might challenge your analysis.

1. We've built up a network of extremely complex trading relationships. (In simple terms a bit like like having regular customers in a shop - knowing what they want.)

2. We're in a single market (in fact 'we' almost invented it). So it makes trade easier. No-one really argues with this (have you heard anyone?); it is unique and of great commercial value.

3. They are our main customers; the figures don't lie. We really do need them (and yes, they need us).

4. They are geographically proximate. Like popping down to your local shop rather than having to drive a 100 mile round trip.

5. We trade between each other on preferential terms (customs union).

6. We have deals with other countries (customers) through our membership of the EU. It gives us a global reach (eg new trade deal with Japan).

7. As a single block we have more weight in global trading rules.

8. Even if it was advantageous to be out on our own, we'd need to make very complex deals with lots of different trade partners on a bi-lateral basis. This takes time and resources.

9. It looks like the world could be moving (Trump) in the direction of new protectionism. Not a good time to leave a (relatively) safe harbour.

10. Even if you disagree with each of the above there's one thing that is agreed by all: in the short term, there will be huge and costly disruption. Who knows - in the long term it could all work out. But as our most famous economist once said - 'in the long term we all dead'.

So - dislike the EU for all you are worth. But on pragmatic ground there's a very good case to stay in (there are other grounds too - but we'd disagree about those) or to put it another way, we'll all pay a big price if we leave, especially with no deal.

We can still trade with them but not within the EU frame work #Believe in Britain, you make the EU out as the Holy grail
regards
DR

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Nowhere have I ever called you a racist - I simply quoted your post and pointed out that you said immigration was the major reason for you wanting to leave the EU. And there is no need to revert to insults, there's enough of those on this thread. Good night :wave:

I was merely pointing out that they are not all hard working as we are told. As I've also said I have some very good polish friends whom I work with they are top people. I really don't dislike immigrants. It seems I took your post to insinuate you was calling me a racist. I apologise for the insult.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Footy Genius - You put up links to the Guido Fawkes blog site and Spiked Online, for goodness sake. Who murdered Diana, Princess of Wales incidentally? Was it The Duke of Edinburgh and Tony Blair or was it Ryan Giggs?

Even your favoured SAUCE, (surprisingly not Class War Weekly) , The Times, references Guido Fawkes occasionally. As we both know attacking a source is the default position if we cant refute/address the argument contained within an article. When in doubt blame the French ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here