Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I made it clear that this was one poll and that the figures will change. The trend is clear though.

And it's not an opinion that the public was flogged a non-existent have-our-cake-and-eat-it form of Brexit. It's a fact.

Yes like the YouGov poll that gives PM Boris a 10 point lead over Labour this morning or the trend that shows the Tories in front in every poll since he was elected. Interesting to see if the Boris bounce will last.

Define 'have our cake and eat it' when this was said and by whom ... God, forbid you're just using one or two silly quotes then suggesting the whole referendum campaign was based on them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Further legislation has to pass through parliament before the UK can leave the EU- bills on trade, agriculture, fisheries, immigration and financial services. There is a cross-party group at work to try and scupper no deal. The most likely method would be to tag amendments to this legislation that would prevent it.

The nuclear option, failing that, is to bring down the government. That would need a few Tory MPs to commit the ultimate betrayal. But it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

legistlation might be needed to make leaving organised, structured etc. point being no legistlation needs to be passed to leave, that happens if nothing else stops it. remainers need to get organised and pull in one direction.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
legistlation might be needed to make leaving organised, structured etc. point being no legistlation needs to be passed to leave, that happens if nothing else stops it. remainers need to get organised and pull in one direction.

Well as an ardent remainer, I didn't get organised or pull in any direction the last two times project unicorn failed. I just watched as a bemused bystander as the date got closer and the lies unravelled. I'm planning the same broad approach for this third time, but possibly with more alcohol involved :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes like the YouGov poll that gives PM Boris a 10 point lead over Labour this morning or the trend that shows the Tories in front in every poll since he was elected. Interesting to see if the Boris bounce will last.

Define 'have our cake and eat it' when this was said and by whom ... God, forbid you're just using one or two silly quotes then suggesting the whole referendum campaign was based on them.

It was Boris, and others - but to be fair it does seem to have been during the negotiations after the referendum rather than before the vote.
https://www.politico.eu/article/a-brief-history-of-having-cake-and-eating-it/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38134859
https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2019/06/04/boris-johnsons-cake-delusion/

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It was Boris, and others - but to be fair it does seem to have been during the negotiations after the referendum rather than before the vote.
https://www.politico.eu/article/a-brief-history-of-having-cake-and-eating-it/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38134859
https://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/2019/06/04/boris-johnsons-cake-delusion/

Which rather undermines the Impsters claim that during the referendum 'the public was flogged a non-existent have-our-cake-and-eat-it form of Brexit'.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Even your favoured SAUCE, (surprisingly not Class War Weekly) , The Times, references Guido Fawkes occasionally. As we both know attacking a source is the default position if we cant refute/address the argument contained within an article. When in doubt blame the French ...

Personally I can't recall The Times of London referencing articles from the Guido Fawkes oddballs site, but then I do refuse to read Melanie Phillips and Quentin Letts because they're ****s, so I may have missed it.

I wonder if you and that Irish alcoholic bloke who runs that site actually take their antisemitism stance to the real heart of the problem in modern Britain - pubs on a Sunday afternoon when Chelsea are playing Tottenham and explain to pub going Chelsea fans that calling Harry Kane a '****ing big nosed Jewish ****' is utterly abhorrent and totally wrong or do you and him prefer to do it online for the sole purpose of hysterically attacking the Labour Party? For some reason I suspect it's just the latter.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hang on a minute .... you were the one that accused me of 'living in the past' because I hold the the Lib Dems to account for trying to destroy the Albion. How is the fact that you have no decent argument against that fact 'winning the playground' ? You quite clearly are prepared to forgive Bellotti, Baker and LDC .... I assume even Archer gets a reprieve in your world ( while in mine I'll raise a glass when he dies ) .... but in my book they will always be anti-Albion and therefore a waste of oxygen.

I really struggle to understand why you’re still so angry about this. Baker and LDC were doing what they felt was best for their constituents. I don’t believe they were “anti-Albion” as you put it. If there is any energy to be expended on this it is with repealing the ludicrous and antiquated appeals process which gave them the mechanism to drag out the debate. And as I said before, the current leader of the Lib Dem’s and I imagine the vast majority of the MPs, members and supporters had nothing to do with your issues. In short, I think you’re being very petty. Move on.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I really struggle to understand why you’re still so angry about this. Baker and LDC were doing what they felt was best for their constituents. I don’t believe they were “anti-Albion” as you put it. If there is any energy to be expended on this it is with repealing the ludicrous and antiquated appeals process which gave them the mechanism to drag out the debate. And as I said before, the current leader of the Lib Dem’s and I imagine the vast majority of the MPs, members and supporters had nothing to do with your issues. In short, I think you’re being very petty. Move on.

It's just Westdene Seagull riding a high horse, and as pointed out by someone the other day, going from being a decent poster on all other threads to totally losing the plot when it comes to all things Brexit.

Baker and LDC were wrong 'uns, but they were also just classic southern English NIMBYS - it would have been no different if they were Tories. As for Westdene's stance against David Bellotti, I note that it only extends to the Liberal Democrats and not people from Eastbourne like Bellotti was - that's the disgrace as far as I'm concerned with Bellotti with him being paid apologist in chief for Archer and Stanley - he was one of us - it's not his party political persuasion.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

"Have our cake and eat it" is not a direct quote from anyone from vote leaveduring the campaign, in the post you quoted, it has not been placed in quotation marks so I am not sure why you think that it should have been, but telling people there would be "no downside, only a very considerable upside" is equivalent. Here is a list of things said which imply all good, no bad, many clearly incompatible with each other, i.e. cake and eat it scenarios. https://infacts.org/cut-keep-list-top-19-brexiteer-promises/

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which rather undermines the Impsters claim that during the referendum 'the public was flogged a non-existent have-our-cake-and-eat-it form of Brexit'.

Only if you refuse to allow Lincoln Imp use the phrase himself. Saying there is no threat to our place in the single market, whilst saying we will end freedom of movement is clearly an incompatible pair of statements, and were said during the campaign by Vote Leave campaigners.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Boris Johnson vows to back amnesty for illegal migrants

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-vows-to-back-amnesty-for-illegal-migrants-ghjsd5jms

Now I accept that was two days ago so he may well have changed his position/views/policy and party entirely since then but :shrug:

Even that article gives a good hint at what he said in parliament, looking at the advantages and disadvantages of a potential policy review with regard to those illegals that have been here for years who have not been involved in criminal activity.

So, i will ask the question again, what made you think he was referring to all illegal immigrants, when that is not what he said in parliament (and its not even said in the article you posted)?

I take it you've found a new reason for leaving the EU since Johnson got rid of the immigration targets and supports the amnesty for all illegal immigrants in the last week ???

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Even that article gives a good hint at what he said in parliament, looking at the advantages and disadvantages of a potential policy review with regard to those illegals that have been here for years who have not been involved in criminal activity.

So, i will ask the question again, what made you think he was referring to all illegal immigrants, when that is not what he said in parliament (and its not even said in the article you posted)?

Absolute Genius, he didn't say all :bowdown: (and you didn't even need to edit my quote this time).

miss-the-point.png

With people as highly intelligent as yourself backing it again, there is no way that Brexit could fail a third time, is there :facepalm:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Absolute Genius, he didn't say all :bowdown: (and you didn't even need to edit my quote this time).

View attachment 113546

With people as highly intelligent as yourself backing it again, there is no way that Brexit could fail a third time, is there :facepalm:

I see, so you concede he didnt say "all" even though you initially thought he meant "all", and you just misunderstood.
All you had to say was you got that wrong.

:wave:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I'm sure Mr Johnson is going to send all those illegal immigrants with criminal backgrounds packing. Perhaps once he's reestablished an empire on which the sun shall never set - it'll be penal colonies for Johnny Foreigners and pesky Irishmen we don't want again.

CnaAlh9WgAAi3pH.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here