[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Strange analysis, why would it be reversed on the back of current robust economic performance against unsubstantiated forecasts of quite severe and immediate economic hardship, how could a waivering Leave voter feel in a weaker position now than back in June against a waivering Remainer that perhaps felt their own personal circumstance might change nearly immediately and quite significantly, but clearly hasnt ?

Its also worth noting that EU citizens must be examining the consequence of vote Leave here in thre UK and see a comparison of greater growth, greater control of unprecedent levels of immigration and Theresa May seemingly confidently looking globally, I suspect contrary to some unlikely veer towards a strengthening of the Union by the people (not the beaurocrats) it would seem logical for it to be totally the other way.

If hazarding a guess was relevent then my money would be on a greater Leave victory.

I think we'll have to agree to differ. But I would question your use of the word "unsubstantiated" in your first paragraph. What you are saying could come straight off the front page of the Daily Mail or the Daily Express. Are you aware of the things that have been said this week about the major baanks in the City of London considering where to move their operations to - no great loss, I can imaagine people saying, but it will make a difference. Have you read the stuff about Toyota considering where else to operate from within Europe? Have you read the comments from the likes of Charlie Mayfield, the Chief Executive of John Lewis, about how prices have been protected over the last few months by the actions of the Bank of England and by the fact that the major retailers buy currency in advance, thus cushioning the real effect of the economic situation, and that all this will change in the new year - prices will rise, etc, etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think we'll have to agree to differ. But I would question your use of the word "unsubstantiated" in your first paragraph. What you are saying could come straight off the front page of the Daily Mail or the Daily Express. Are you aware of the things that have been said this week about the major baanks in the City of London considering where to move their operations to - no great loss, I can imaagine people saying, but it will make a difference. Have you read the stuff about Toyota considering where else to operate from within Europe? Have you read the comments from the likes of Charlie Mayfield, the Chief Executive of John Lewis, about how prices have been protected over the last few months by the actions of the Bank of England and by the fact that the major retailers buy currency in advance, thus cushioning the real effect of the economic situation, and that all this will change in the new year - prices will rise, etc, etc.

You are looking for some justification of your view and earlier predictions with current data undermining your position, I am guessing I too could find similar positive statements about how Brexit might deliver greater prosperity from people of similar qualification.

For the time being it is no longer any good offering dire warning of economic difficulties in the furture, that has already been played out to the Remainers detriment, you then somehow forsee obvious signs of difficulties for the UK without ever mentioning an even bleaker view of the other 27 member states within the EU under their own failing business model and then expecting us to somehow continue to remain part of it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think we'll have to agree to differ. But I would question your use of the word "unsubstantiated" in your first paragraph. What you are saying could come straight off the front page of the Daily Mail or the Daily Express. .

Yawn. That's just a very, very lazy way to try to shut down debate. If in doubt play to the galleries and mention the for the Daily Mail.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Afraid have to disagree with that assertion. If you knew people hadn't voted as a means of protesting about the available options then yes, it could be considered to have some power but I how would you separate the protesting 'non voter' with the apathetic 'non voter'.

I genuinely believe that voting should be compulsory to give election results more credibility but it goes without saying every ballot paper should include the option for 'none of the above'!

Interesting. Instead of 'none of the above, how about a box for 'full coalition parliament', as in, put them all in the HOC and get on with it FFS, instead of this endless retrograde political BS every 4/8 years. Maybe we would get a lot more people voting who have just given up on the lot of them and just don't vote? :shrug:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well you obviously know how to find bad news,shame you don't bother with the good!
View attachment 81597

Perhaps you could provide a link to your bad news,or a screenshot,as a politeness to us lesser mortals.Also,the high spends in previous years included a new engine plant for Jaguar and other infrastructure with one-off build costs.

Good news indeed and I mentioned the output figures in my post. But as the figures are not connected to Brexit according to the people who actually build the cars and engines I have no idea why you're going on about them. The SMMT report was in yesterday's print copy of the Times. Can't be fagged to hunt it out - disbelieve me if you want to.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The SMMT Is the vehicle manufacturers' trade body. They reported a decline in the sector's investment from £2.5bn in both 2014 and 2015 to £1.6bn last year, due, they report, to the Brexit decision. They also reported that the increase in current production is the result of decisions taken four or more years ago. Perhaps you could give the source for 'the opposite' situation you describe as being reported by the BBC. As you say, it's odd.

You quoted SMMT as saying the decline in investment numbers was down to Brexit.I still can't find this attribution,which is why I wanted you to post it,but you can't be arsed.The Jaguar new engine plant on its own cost well over half a billion,and there have been other major infrastructure investments from them,Nissan,JCB etc so someone is obviously talking bolox about Brexit again.Just wondered who?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Have the Welsh opened a major finance house,then?BAAnks :lolol::sheep:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You are looking for some justification of your view and earlier predictions with current data undermining your position, I am guessing I too could find similar positive statements about how Brexit might deliver greater prosperity from people of similar qualification.

For the time being it is no longer any good offering dire warning of economic difficulties in the furture, that has already been played out to the Remainers detriment, you then somehow forsee obvious signs of difficulties for the UK without ever mentioning an even bleaker view of the other 27 member states within the EU under their own failing business model and then expecting us to somehow continue to remain part of it.

Sales of Rose Tinted Spectacles are up at Specsavers, along with the price of petrol and the rate of Inflation, more of both to follow imminently, but hey ho.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Interesting. Instead of 'none of the above, how about a box for 'full coalition parliament', as in, put them all in the HOC and get on with it FFS, instead of this endless retrograde political BS every 4/8 years. Maybe we would get a lot more people voting who have just given up on the lot of them and just don't vote? :shrug:

My own personal opinion is that rather than electoral reform, we should have political reform and by that I mean that things like the NHS should be taken out of the political arena and handed over to an NGO to run. It would be up to them to argue with the Treasury about budgets but all policy decisions and strategic planning would be the responsibility of the NGO and would allow proper long-term planning and restructuring free from political dogma and run by the very best qualified people. We could look at 10 and 20 year plans rather than working in 5 year cycles. I genuinely can't see a downside to this as long as there is proper oversight and scrutiny by House of Commons committees.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
My own personal opinion is that rather than electoral reform, we should have political reform and by that I mean that things like the NHS should be taken out of the political arena and handed over to an NGO to run. It would be up to them to argue with the Treasury about budgets but all policy decisions and strategic planning would be the responsibility of the NGO and would allow proper long-term planning and restructuring free from political dogma and run by the very best qualified people. We could look at 10 and 20 year plans rather than working in 5 year cycles. I genuinely can't see a downside to this as long as there is proper oversight and scrutiny by House of Commons committees.

........and anyone who is involved with the 'management' needs to have had some medical training and taken/understood the hippocratic oath. Not sure about the NGO side of it. Got the whiff of 'jobs for the boys/quango' about it. Saying that, can't be as bad as the present clusterf**k of a health service.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

No mention of the EU currency imploding in 18 maths as some economist's are now advising. Not suprised only go for the bad news eh. I wonder who will get asked to bail them out

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
........and anyone who is involved with the 'management' needs to have had some medical training and taken/understood the hippocratic oath. Not sure about the NGO side of it. Got the whiff of 'jobs for the boys/quango' about it. Saying that, can't be as bad as the present clusterf**k of a health service.

An NGO is just a department headed by experts and freed from most political pressures. There's plenty of examples out there - the Food Standards Agency, The Pensions Regulator, Crown Prosecution Service...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sales of Rose Tinted Spectacles are up at Specsavers, along with the price of petrol and the rate of Inflation, more of both to follow imminently, but hey ho.

I have read your dirge of pessimism from Brexit to your utterly depressive view on the UK overall, along with your predictions there is never likely to be a time when you will concede anything positive about the UK no matter what.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have read your dirge of pessimism from Brexit to your utterly depressive view on the UK overall, along with your predictions there is never likely to be a time when you will concede anything positive about the UK no matter what.

And your point ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sales of Rose Tinted Spectacles are up at Specsavers...........................................

........and even a small upturn in the consumer market like that is anathema to you, contradicting your mantra of doom and gloom. I wonder what it takes to make you happy. The end of the world next week (due, of course, to Brexit) perhaps?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I think it's fair to say thing right now will be as good as they are going to get. Massive risks ahead, though little reported financial services is already feeling a lot of pain, a very low level of recruitment going on with many jobs losses in the pipeline

It's little reason government wants brexit as fast as possible, they need it to be too late when public opinion changes

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think it's fair to say thing right now will be as good as they are going to get. Massive risks ahead, though little reported financial services is already feeling a lot of pain, a very low level of recruitment going on with many jobs losses in the pipeline

It's little reason government wants brexit as fast as possible, they need it to be too late when public opinion changes

After watching the news the other night and seeing the pain on the faces as they admitted that post Brexit was going surprisingly well, coupled with the "experts" of doom being very quiet of late, your prediction, which is again in the future, seems as far off as those "experts" that predicted immediate doom after June 23rd.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
After watching the news the other night and seeing the pain on the faces as they admitted that post Brexit was going surprisingly well, coupled with the "experts" of doom being very quiet of late, your prediction, which is again in the future, seems as far off as those "experts" that predicted immediate doom after June 23rd.

Brexit hasn't happened yet, so whether you are a 'leave' voter, as I know you are, or 'a remain' voter as I was, to say it's going surprisingly well is not true. We've had a referendum and everything that's followed. Nothing more and no Brexit as yet. The reaction to the result of that referendum and everything that's followed hasn't been as bad as some thought, but then whats followed that referendum result wasn't anticipated by everyone either. The proof is in the pudding in x years after Brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports