Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Botched Execution - Any sympathy?

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
On an unrelated note, studies have found less educated people are more likely to be in favour of capital punishment. Make of that what you will.[/QUOTE]

So we would now need a university degree in law to sit on a jury! 12 people good and true from all walks of life has been the standard for hundreds of years.
A length of hemp and a trap door is an excellent deterrent, you can bang on about the Birmingham six and the Guildford four, but for each one of those a further six or seven have got away with it. The IRA carried out their bombing campaigns with impunity knowing the worse punishment they would recieve is life in prison at the most.
A teacher in Leeds was stabbed by one of her pupils, so what will our looney liberal society do . . . Ask for reports, smack his wrists and send him on his way with a new name to protect him from the backlash.
If there is a punishment to fit a crime, hanging for murderers, the birch for various other crimes then our crime rate will go down. Prison should be just that, not a holiday camp and if prisoners cry out about inhumane treatment and poor conditions, then they should perhaps reflect on why they were there in the first place.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A lot of people seem to think letting them rot in jail is a much better and more humane thing to do but as you state some crave death so isn't it a worse sentence then having them put down from the start?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Sorry to disagree with you guys. I'm not at all religious but really can't back civilised governments causing death in pain ..... even if the party was a murderer. Not only for the executed sake, but also for those carrying out or witnessing the scene. Besides what punishment is death, we all go there one day. Back to hard labour and grinding out years of misery, reflection and contrition might be more suitable..... IMO.

Cost of the execution----- minimal.

Cost to the Tax Payer for keeping him for the next 40 years, Millions.

I know what my choice would be, and that would not be keeping him in a cell all mod con.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
A length of hemp and a trap door is an excellent deterrent

Simply not true - countries with the death penalty are amongst those with the highest murder rate.

The real deterrent is knowing that you will be caught if you commit a crime - those who carry out serious crimes tend to fall into one of two groups, those who believe they won't be caught and those who commit the crime with no regard for the consequences - in either case the penalty should they be caught has no deterrent effect.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know what my choice would be, and that would not be keeping him in a cell all mod con.

This is completely wrong. Read any study/article from the US regarding the huge cost of capital punishment. Some states are abolishing capital punishment for budgetary reasons alone.

It's a complete myth that capital punishment is a minimal cost compared to life imprisonment.

http://www.economist.com/node/13279051

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is completely wrong. Read any study/article from the US regarding the huge cost of capital punishment. Some states are abolishing capital punishment for budgetary reasons alone.

It's a complete myth that capital punishment is a minimal cost compared to life imprisonment.

Hanging doesn't cost anything...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Erm.... Did my post mention all mod cons ? Sorry I thought I'd posted hard labour, which could encompass money raising employment, never mentioned feasting on Lobster or nights out at Glyndebourne. I don't mind you having a different point of view, quite acceptable. But would prefer to be accurately quoted.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

That was always by viewpoint too, until recently.

It transpires that it is now more expensive (in the US) to execute people than a life sentence, due to the costs of lawyers and the whole legal system etc etc whilst they are constantly appealing their death sentence.

For those who feel it is better for the 'murderers' to spend a lifetime (?15 years) behind bars, possibly repenting their sins....lol. For 'normal' members of the public, who don't commit murder, a life sentence would be horrific. However, the majority of murderers are not 'normal' people and a life sentence for them is merely another way of life.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
if i heard correctly, the prisoner was mounting some sort of campaign to find out the exact details of whats in the drugs used for the execution. if you look up midazolam it seems a pretty common drug used for sedation and anti-seizure, quite the opposite of the reaction here. i have a inkling this chap may have tried to take something to counteract the or neutralise the effects. just seems a bit odd.

Verging on 'The Truth' levels of conspiracy there. There have been studies showing paradoxical reactions to Midazolam, where instead of sedating people it gives them convulsions.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489358_6

A lot of drug companies have refused to supply death penalty drugs because of opposition to the death penalty (driven by the European Commission, apparently). Various states have had to source new drugs and are often experimenting with different cocktails and dosages and were reluctant to identify the drug before hand. The states claim it is to protect the suppliers, but evidence suggests there would be no threat to them (at least in the sample study in Texas).

Perhaps if the state was made to announce the drug they were using before hand there could have been something done to prevent this. Maybe they would have been able to identify that Lockett was one of those that were susceptible to paradoxical reactions.

(more info here)

He was found guilty by court of law. To receive the death penalty you must have killed someone (or something of an equally bad nature), that person can never be replaced therefore causing endless grief to families/friends.

The man got what he deserved. An eye for an eye.

No you don't. In theory you do, but in reality, One in 25 people who recieve the death penalty are innocent, possible more given that a lot of death penalty sentences are reduced and thus their convictions are not as thoroughly re-examined.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/study-1-25-death-cases-likely-innocent

I am opposed to the death penalty. But, I find it hard to have sympathy for the admitted killers. It certainly adds to my opposition to the death penalty.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Am not in favour of capital punishment,but where it is still carried out it must be executed(excuse the pun) in a humane manner.
So Botched Execution-Any Sympathy,yes.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
This is what I mean 100% proof cases like this, what's wrong with the penalty here?

Well, in my logical point of view, getting them to lie down and go to sleep (forever) is far, far to kind for both of them. I'd like them to wake up each day, consider a shite day ahead digging ditches or some equally arduous task. And think to themselves....... Oh why didn't I stay home that awful day and watch "Bargain Hunt".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Hanging doesn't cost anything...

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases. This process is needed in order to ensure that innocent men and woman are not executed for crimes they did not commit, and even with these protections the risk of executing an innocent person can not be completely eliminated.

California could save $1 billion over five years by replacing the death penalty with permanent imprisonment.

California taxpayers pay $90,000 more per death row prisoner each year than on prisoners in regular confinement.

California Cost Studies:

Executing the Will of the Voters: A Roadmap to Mend or End the California Legislature's Multi-Billion-Dollar Death Penalty Debacle (2011)

California has spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment since it was reinstated in 1978 (about $308 million for each of the 13 executions carried out)

California spends an additional $184 million on the death penalty per year because of the additional costs of capital trials, enhanced security on death row, and legal representation.

The study’s authors predict that the cost of the death penalty will reach $9 billion by 2030.​

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

The death penalty is much more expensive than life without parole because the Constitution requires a long and complex judicial process for capital cases. This process is needed in order to ensure that innocent men and woman are not executed for crimes they did not commit, and even with these protections the risk of executing an innocent person can not be completely eliminated.

California could save $1 billion over five years by replacing the death penalty with permanent imprisonment.

California taxpayers pay $90,000 more per death row prisoner each year than on prisoners in regular confinement.

California Cost Studies:

Executing the Will of the Voters: A Roadmap to Mend or End the California Legislature's Multi-Billion-Dollar Death Penalty Debacle (2011)

California has spent more than $4 billion on capital punishment since it was reinstated in 1978 (about $308 million for each of the 13 executions carried out)

California spends an additional $184 million on the death penalty per year because of the additional costs of capital trials, enhanced security on death row, and legal representation.

The study’s authors predict that the cost of the death penalty will reach $9 billion by 2030.​

That's because some people are on death row for 20/30 years, with several appeals in the process

Have 1 appeal, if you fail, death within a year

That would save money

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That's because some people are on death row for 20/30 years, with several appeals in the process

Have 1 appeal, if you fail, death within a year

That would save money

And probably result in more innocent people who were wrongly convicted being executed for crimes they didn't commit.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013

Remember the US Prison Service is privately owned, therfore each prisoner is worth £'s ching to them

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The death penalty is the correct course if the condemned is proven 100% guilty if there is any doubt it should be full term life with no hope of parole. I think Lee Rigby's executioners should also suffer this fate rather than the government now spending probably millions on them over the term of their life in prison.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
the death penalty is the correct course if the condemned is proven 100% guilty if there is any doubt it should be full term life with no hope of parole. I think lee rigby's executioners should also suffer this fate rather than the government now spending probably millions on them over the term of their life in prison.

this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here