Botched Execution - Any sympathy?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
should have shot him in the knee caps first, just to cause a bit of pain, then cut his bollocks off, then administor the drugs an hour later while he's suffering.

Dec 29, 2011
If death was really such a terrible punishment for mass murderers etc. why do people kill themselves in prison? Ariel Castro is a prime example, sentenced to his whole life in jail, but prefered to kill himself just a few weeks after starting his sentence. I bet the people who advocate capital punishment were mad he got off so 'easily' by killing himself.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If death was really such a terrible punishment for mass murderers etc. why do people kill themselves in prison? Ariel Castro is a prime example, sentenced to his whole life in jail, but prefered to kill himself just a few weeks after starting his sentence. I bet the people who advocate capital punishment were mad he got off so 'easily' by killing himself.

Harold Shipman, Ian Huntley (attempted suicide), Ian Brady (attempted suicide), Fred West - all fancied death rather than life imprisonment.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Harold Shipman, Ian Huntley (attempted suicide), Ian Brady (attempted suicide), Fred West - all fancied death rather than life imprisonment.

Maybe the death penalty should be painful? Then they won't get off so 'easily'.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Maybe the death penalty should be painful? Then they won't get off so 'easily'.

Like gauge an eye out, or stick them on the rack like the end of Braveheart? Quarter their bodies and display them at the four corners of the country? Oh yes, we can really take some serious leaps forward as a civilised society. Public hangings like in Iran to pop music? Brilliant. You're a visionary!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Like gauge an eye out, or stick them on the rack like the end of Braveheart? Quarter their bodies and display them at the four corners of the country? Oh yes, we can really take some serious leaps forward as a civilised society. Public hangings like in Iran to pop music? Brilliant. You're a visionary!

I'm just playing devils advocate, seems a lot of people are highly against the death penalty but know that life imprisonment causes many to want to be dead, isn't that torture in itself?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So , you're advocating that people should be , essentially , tortured to death ?

No I'm not but posters are stating death is too easy and criminals should rot in jail, I'm just trying to define which is worse?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm just playing devils advocate, seems a lot of people are highly against the death penalty but know that life imprisonment causes many to want to be dead, isn't that torture in itself?

I'm not sure what you are advocating. I think you are somehow suggesting an alternative advocacy for the death penalty is it being more humane than keeping someone alive in prison.

I would hope the likes of Shipman, West etc. were hanging themselves for the shear horror of what they had done, not because they wanted to get out of serving time in prison. The point being, death was an escape, whether avoidance of prison, escape from themselves, inner demons, mental conditions, whatever. Make them live with what they did, and treat them as human beings because they are the monsters, and we are the civilised society with empathy and compassion.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not sure what you are advocating. I think you are somehow suggesting an alternative advocacy for the death penalty is it being more humane than keeping someone alive in prison.

I would hope the likes of Shipman, West etc. were hanging themselves for the shear horror of what they had done, not because they wanted to get out of serving time in prison. The point being, death was an escape, whether avoidance of prison, escape from themselves, inner demons, mental conditions, whatever. Make them live with what they did, and treat them as human beings because they are the monsters, and we are the civilised society with empathy and compassion.

Fair point!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Of course it is utterly deplorable. Not because he did not deserve it but to not at least carry out a state execution correctly makes the state not much better imo. If a higher moral ground is taken which is quite correct the end should be effective and quick. Or else we will be not much better. For the record I am against the death sentance as I feel it bring society down to the level of the murderer.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
You think this is bad? Search the 'Death by a thousand cuts' used by Asian countries as form of public execution really not that long ago. Gruesome. This is wrong though, 2 wrongs don't make a right despite the fact he probably deserved the pain for what he did.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I hate to think what it will be like on here if we don't make the play-offs

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You think this is bad? Search the 'Death by a thousand cuts' used by Asian countries as form of public execution really not that long ago. Gruesome. This is wrong though, 2 wrongs don't make a right despite the fact he probably deserved the pain for what he did.

I agree or else we are not much better imo.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well, in my logical point of view, getting them to lie down and go to sleep (forever) is far, far to kind for both of them. I'd like them to wake up each day, consider a shite day ahead digging ditches or some equally arduous task. And think to themselves....... Oh why didn't I stay home that awful day and watch "Bargain Hunt".

Hobson's choice really isn't it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports