Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Botched Execution - Any sympathy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I would prefer the hard Labour, misery and reflection option.

Yes, I agree. Why should anyone have the right to take someones life ? A life time banged up and a chance for reflection is far better.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you murder a murderer, are you as bad as the murderer? They have murdered the innocent, you have murdered a murderer so in my opinion no, you're not as bad.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if i heard correctly, the prisoner was mounting some sort of campaign to find out the exact details of whats in the drugs used for the execution. if you look up midazolam it seems a pretty common drug used for sedation and anti-seizure, quite the opposite of the reaction here. i have a inkling this chap may have tried to take something to counteract the or neutralise the effects. just seems a bit odd.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
if i heard correctly, the prisoner was mounting some sort of campaign to find out the exact details of whats in the drugs used for the execution. if you look up midazolam it seems a pretty common drug used for sedation and anti-seizure, quite the opposite of the reaction here. i have a inkling this chap may have tried to take something to counteract the or neutralise the effects. just seems a bit odd.

So it could be his own fault?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Sometimes, I think we should execute...but then on the other hand, we could have executed the Birmingham six, and the Guildford four....which would have put the percentage of wrongful executions up a bit...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The worst thing about this is that his friends and family will have to live with the fact he died in agony, rather than calmly and sedately.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The worst thing about this is that his friends and family will have to live with the fact he died in agony, rather than calmly and sedately.

But the victims family will know he suffered a bit for his actions.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you murder a murderer, are you as bad as the murderer? They have murdered the innocent, you have murdered a murderer so in my opinion no, you're not as bad.

What about if a murderer murders a murderer, then the state murders the murderer that murdered a murderer, who would not be as bad?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Sorry, I have changed over the years, I used to hate the idea, but when I read about this Guy shooting a teenager (twice with a nice long gap between shots) infront of her friends, while she pleaded for her life and then had her buried while she was still alive, or the one that was delayed because of this, he raped and killed the 11 month old daughter of his girlfriend, I really want then to die in agony.

Glad I don't have to make the moral call.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm not sure where I read it, but studies have shown that execution brings little comfort to families. Revenge is not an emotion that in anyway compensates loss or grief. In fact the long drawn out process to exact 'justice' prolongs the suffering to an end that actually brings no change or closure to the victims families.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What about if a murderer murders a murderer, then the state murders the murderer that murdered a murderer, who would not be as bad?

Obviously every case is different, I'm talking about when there are innocent victims

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe, just maybe, the victims family would have preferred him not to suffer. People can be capable of forgiveness.

And anyone who revels or rejoices in what happened in this case, or can even begin to think that he "deserved it", is inhuman and sick.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The thing is if you are the parents of a child who was murdered, an execution of the murderer can be seen as closure.

If the releatives choose for them to not be executed that should be their wish, however if they believe that closure for them will be the result then I think it is down to them.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I know I should sympathise... but really not that bothered if he was in "discomfort" for 45 or so minutes longer than necessary.

The federal and state laws didn't change suddenly, so he knew the punishment when he committed the crime and from what I've read his guilt is in no doubt.

Should he have died? - That's the law of the land, so yes.
Should he have died instantly? - Yes of course. Society should be better than its worse members so even though he buried alive a teenage girl, if he going to be killed by the state, he should still be killed humanely.
What should happen now? - Nothing. Move on. We shouldn't have all this hand wringing. The US States need to do the best they can to ensure the punishment they dish out is humane, but sometimes it is less perfect than desired. As long as everybody involved did everything as they were supposed to, then nothing should happen that wasn't going to happen anyway (ie constant ongoing reviews of the drugs involved in the death penalty but no special enquiry).

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
It wasn't botched at and thought he died in a humane way and think these execution are the way forward. I'd personally flush bleach or battery acid through the tubes to save money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here