Boston Marathon + all other related incidents UPDATED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whim

Sep 19, 2012
Being a pedant, it is most likely a terrorist. A terrorist is someone who tries to create terror. Why set off these bombs if not to scare and create fear and terror? It may not be al qaeda, or the taliban, or what fox news typically mean when they say terrorists, it may well be a domestic terrorist, but just because they are not muslims or foreigners, or bombing because of their religious beliefs, doesn't make it not terrorist.

I think you missed the meaning of the quote - they seriously doubted the go-ahead of the London marathon

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The US militias have tended to only attack Govt buildings... not civilians

The Oklahoma City bombing in 1995 managed to kill 168 (19 of them children) and injured more than 680

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Love the woman in orange running across the finish line amidst the explosion checking her watch and pressing stop on her timer. Priorities!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Scary sounding stuff (explosions) at Boston Marathon

Saw a glimpse of some footage and raises the question, why is it the first thing some people think of doing is getting out their mobile and recording the grim scenes rather than pitching in and trying to help those who are suffering.

Thoughts with the casualties and their families.

I'm sure a few we're videoing people at the finishing line as part of the race and then turned their attention to the blast.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The US militias have tended to only attack Govt buildings... not civilians

U.S. militias have tended to be anti Federal Government, but they haven't attacked anyone/thing. They organize for their own self defense in the event that foreign (or Federal) forces are ever sent in to subjugate the state. They consist of the local doctor, journalist, fireman, postman etc.

Terrorists like Timothy McVeigh also have anti-Fed views, so the militias get lumped in with them. McVeigh was not part of a militia, anti-gov terrorism is never carried out by militias, because they are inherently defensive, they are there to defend, not attack.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Re: Scary sounding stuff (explosions) at Boston Marathon

You know what depresses me?

How Sky News report things. The presenters are almost desperate for something bigger to happen.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Alice Cooper presents a (recorded) programme on Planetrock every evening from nine pm.

He just introduced the track that is currently playing

Boston- Smokin'

:facepalm:

Ouch !!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How Sky News report things. The presenters are almost desperate for something bigger to happen.

And in the race to report things first lots of reporting goes unchecked.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I'm sure a few we're videoing people at the finishing line as part of the race and then turned their attention to the blast.

indeed, but some still photographers starting taking pictures instead of helping. Still they've got them up on the Bostonglobe twitter feed with their name all over it so can sleep easily at night.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Just read that the marathon was dedicated to the families of the Newtown massacre victims, and that some of them were sitting in the VIP area near the finishing line, and some of the runners were from Sandy Hook! :facepalm:

A team of Sandy Hook parents are reportedly safe following the explosions that have reportedly killed two 22 at the Boston Marathon.

The team included parent Laura Nowacki, whose daughter survived the Dec. 14 shooting. Before the race, Nowacki told WBUR "In the first 20 miles we’re honoring our 20 Sandy Hook first graders, and when we crest Heartbreak Hill and we’re coming back towards Boston, we run the final six for our six fallen educators who gave everything of themselves, including their lives, to protect our children."

NewtownSTRONG representative Scott Johnson told Patch he has been informed the runners are safe. According to the marathon's website, five other Newtown runners were participating in the race. No word is available yet.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Scary sounding stuff (explosions) at Boston Marathon

I'm sure it is a terrorist attack. I just wondered why specifically the ball bearings are so important in your (and the other guys) confirmation.

Ball bearings are a favoured form of shrapnel in terrorist bombs and there aren't likely to be many other reasons why they would be found in the road where a marathon is being run.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I'm sure it is a terrorist attack. I just wondered why specifically the ball bearings are so important in your (and the other guys) confirmation.

The ball bearings would be strapped to the bomb device so creating more carnage as flying shrapnel, a terrorist trait

Whim

Sep 19, 2012

ball bearings tend to be used in bombs because they are blown out in every direction, at great pace, hitting those around. Basically acting like hundreds of bullets.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
WTF is wrong with people? Why on EARTH would you do this?

Well, take a look at the new leader of North Korea.!..There are people like him in the world. They don't live in a civilised society like we do. So they want destroy everything and kill everyone.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

Definitely this , noticed it more this weekend with the "Hooliganism" and what have you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports