Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This is easily solved, just take back control

control.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It would appear half of British people actively enjoy isolationism and sticking two fingers up at the French and Germans at every opportunity.

Yet we are huge consumers of their food, drink and cars.

It is 76 years since the end of WW2 - just how long is this pathetic anti-European feeling going to persist?

Yes I agree, what a bunch of hypocrites we are, sad in the extreme.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
???

Have you driven around either lately, baby boomers are slowly becoming a hazzard on the roads :mad:

I can verify this

some old bitch in a giant fridge of a motorhome deliberately ran a red light and cut accross my path yesterday morning at the Offington roundabout. It happens most days . . .this morning it was just a wrinkly **** in a knackered transit, at least you can swerve round them on a scooter.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It would appear half of British people actively enjoy isolationism and sticking two fingers up at the French and Germans at every opportunity.

Yet we are huge consumers of their food, drink and cars.

It is 76 years since the end of WW2 - just how long is this pathetic anti-European feeling going to persist?

Well quite. A lot of people in their minds are still fighting WWII .... even though they never did and would never have anywhere near the courage to do what those blokes were asked to do. But in some ways it props up their self esteem

It's painfully obvious that the problems that this world has (climate change, inequality, organised crime, powerful mega corporations) cannot be solved with 200 odd nations working against each other.

Less wrapping in the flag and sticking 2 fingers up over the white cliffs needed. We need grown ups in charge. Grown ups who can talk and agree and compromise. But we're going the other way

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Vesselfinder.com. Type in our two fine BRITISH gunboats HMS Severn and HMS Tamar and follow their movements as they duff up the frogs. Who won the war anyway? P.S. I voted remain, and I love France, fish, and especially French fish, simmered in a rich beurre blanc.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's not our nation that is blockading a port in a foreign country.

It's not our nation that has threatened to cut off the electricity supply to the island.

Perhaps the French should just f****** grow up.

This. This. And This again.

I've never forgiven the ****ers for attacking a poor defenceless Brighthelmstone in 1514 and burning it to the ground..

Crecy, Poiters, Agincourt, Trafalgar, Waterloo..........will they never learn?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You have misunderstood. Again.
The actions of the French today illustrate that the rest of that world has not bought into the flag-waving, sunlight uplands fairytale. The sooner people like yourself disillusion yourself of that propaganda, the sooner we can start to repair the mess you’ve made.

Why, one only has to glance at the calibre of man on here that voted Leave. 99% are thoroughly unpleasant.

So no, not a fishing trip. Just some facts you don’t like.

I read your comment about 99% of leave voters being unpleasant and was driven to reply and ask you on what basis you came to such a ridiculous conclusion.

But I think that comment speaks volumes about you and your attitudes, so I'll just giggle at you and move on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looks like the French Fisherman have had enough
And heading home.
Good desicion to send the Royal Navy there I think, just to make sure things didn't get out of control.

They said they were going back this afternoon, earlier today. There was never a question of things getting out of control.

Dimitri Rogoff, head of fisheries for the Normandy region, said the boats would not try to block St Helier and would return to France in the afternoon, AFP reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57003069

May 5, 2020
Sussex
They said they were going back this afternoon, earlier today. There was never a question of things getting out of control.

Dimitri Rogoff, head of fisheries for the Normandy region, said the boats would not try to block St Helier and would return to France in the afternoon, AFP reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57003069

Yes, certainly no question of things getting out of control with the Royal Navy there.
We don't know what intel our forces had with regards to what the fisherman had planned or what other military forces were in the area,but regardless of that we certainly shouldn't be placing our trust in the words of the Normandy fisheries that it would pass without incident.
As it was the French rammed an English trawler so his words didn't count for much In the end anyway,and had we not had a strong Naval presence then it may have escalated and we would have been to far away to do anything about it.
At the end of the day, everyones still in one piece,nobody's been killed or injured so it's all worked out well for now.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
And which side is Jersey siding with ? I knew you couldn't trust the Crapauds, they're practically french anyway

Oyster farmer: ‘It has been an absolute disgrace by our government’

JERSEY’S largest oyster producer says he stands side-by-side with aggrieved French fishermen and will even support a potential 'peaceful' port blockade – if it goes ahead.Chris Le Masurier, owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. ‘The government went out there and told them “don’t worry – as long as you have fished for ten days in 2017, 2018 or 2019 then you will be given a licence and can carry on”. But on Friday afternoon the licences were issued with all these conditions attached. It came to Monday morning and some could not go fishing.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2021/05/05/oyster-farmer-it-has-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

And after all we did for them in WW2 ???
Why didn't you post the whole article? Anyone would think you were being disingenuous, Don't worry I'll post it for you
However, Don Thompson, president of the Jersey Fisherman’s Association, said Jersey had been ‘quite generous’ in its licensing scheme and described France’s response as an ‘over-reaction’.

Don Thompson. Picture: ROB CURRIE. (30777800)

He said: ‘The EU have signed up to the [post-Brexit] Trade and Co-operation Agreement which states that Jersey must recognise the extent of previous fishing in our waters. The restrictions on the new licences cover what the French were already doing in our waters and are only preventing them from expanding their fishing efforts, which is needed if we are going to have sustainability in our waters.

‘A point that is being missed is that Jersey boats do not have licences to fish in French waters – we are restricted to our own territorial waters while they can use ours, if any restrictions are placed on their own.’

Mr Thompson also highlighted how the approved 41 French vessels had been given a licence for free and urged Jersey’s government not to give in to the French.

‘Our boats would be charged £250,000 if they were to have something similar. Our advice to ministers is that they should not capitulate to these intimidation and bullying tactics that are being used,’ he said.

‘If we do capitulate now then they are just going to do the same thing every time we try to apply some form of management to make our waters sustainable.’

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, certainly no question of things getting out of control with the Royal Navy there.
We don't know what intel our forces had with regards to what the fisherman had planned or what other military forces were in the area,but regardless of that we certainly shouldn't be placing our trust in the words of the Normandy fisheries that it would pass without incident.
As it was the French rammed an English trawler so his words didn't count for much In the end anyway,and had we not had a strong Naval presence then it may have escalated and we would have been to far away to do anything about it.
At the end of the day, everyones still in one piece,nobody's been killed or injured so it's all worked out well for now.

The other military forces (just two French vessels) arrived later. They were actually at Rouen, and then sailed down the Seine to Le Havre before sailing to Jersey.

Storm in a teacup. I bet our lads were just making brews whilst keeping an eye open.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
This Jersey oyster producer is siding with the French against our government.

Chris Le Masurier, owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. It is about protecting people’s historic rights, livelihoods and friendships which have been forged over years.

‘I would urge the government to act with the utmost urgency. When they are talking about an armada of French boats going to another jurisdiction [Jersey] – into another country’s official waters – and doing so with the support of the French government they have got to do something.

‘The government went out there and told them “don’t worry – as long as you have fished for ten days in 2017, 2018 or 2019 then you will be given a licence and can carry on”. But on Friday afternoon the licences were issued with all these conditions attached. It came to Monday morning and some could not go fishing.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/...-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

I think I'd rather use the Head of the Jersey fishermens association as a guide to how the locals feel about the situation.

However, Don Thompson, president of the Jersey Fisherman’s Association, said Jersey had been ‘quite generous’ in its licensing scheme and described France’s response as an ‘over-reaction’.

He said: ‘The EU have signed up to the [post-Brexit] Trade and Co-operation Agreement which states that Jersey must recognise the extent of previous fishing in our waters. The restrictions on the new licences cover what the French were already doing in our waters and are only preventing them from expanding their fishing efforts, which is needed if we are going to have sustainability in our waters.

‘A point that is being missed is that Jersey boats do not have licences to fish in French waters – we are restricted to our own territorial waters while they can use ours, if any restrictions are placed on their own.’

Mr Thompson also highlighted how the approved 41 French vessels had been given a licence for free and urged Jersey’s government not to give in to the French.

‘Our boats would be charged £250,000 if they were to have something similar. Our advice to ministers is that they should not capitulate to these intimidation and bullying tactics that are being used,’ he said.

‘If we do capitulate now then they are just going to do the same thing every time we try to apply some form of management to make our waters sustainable.’

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The other military forces (just two French vessels) arrived later. They were actually at Rouen, and then sailed down the Seine to Le Havre before sailing to Jersey.

Storm in a teacup. I bet our lads were just making brews whilst keeping an eye open.

Yes,I was thinking more about any russian military that may have thought it good banter to cut our power lines and blame it on the French if they thought nobody was watching but also we would have been keeping an eye on those two French vessels too, especially after the open letter from the high ranking French military officals last month which could imply a military coup at some point.
But yes ,storm in a teacup and hopefully it will have all blown over by the end of the week.
But sensible for us to have a presence there none the less.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes,I was thinking more about any russian military that may have thought it good banter to cut our power lines and blame it on the French if they thought nobody was watching but also we would have been keeping an eye on those two French vessels too, especially after the open letter from the high ranking French military officals last month which could imply a military coup at some point.
But yes ,storm in a teacup and hopefully it will have all blown over by the end of the week.
But sensible for us to have a presence there none the less.

It's all just a bit of sabre rattling and nothing to worry about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports