Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Boris sends gunboats to defend Jersey'

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've misunderstood nothing,you're better off fishing for easier prey.

***oh, and I voted remain***

Don’t get wound up, I can say with a degree of certainty that we’d be all over the Labour Party if this was on their watch, what is interesting is how easily many of the apparent Murdoch/Media gas lit theorist types are falling for the very same [emoji23]

Anyway when the Labour Party have smashed the Tories into oblivion tomorrow in the polls they will have calmed down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There is a bigger picture here, the French are obviously not happy about the fishing rights, but name a time when they have.
The French have been fishing closer and closer to our waters as there own over fished supply is drying up.

From the Telegraph in January 2020, predicting this.
No-deal risks triggering a European fishing war with the French pitted against a mainly Dutch armada competing for dwindling stocks if shut out of UK waters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...european-neighbours-locked-british-waters-no/

Our Government has clearly messed up, and should have been stronger in negotiations.
We should have helped the British fishing industry more, and the French are doing what they normally do, which is what they want, they are never happy, they hate us with a passion, it must be hard to be such a large well established country forever being beaten by it's smaller neighbour all over the world.

Everyone needs to go back to the drawing board, for the best of all involved both French & British.

I agree completely that it needs to go back to the drawing board, but what we have was only negotiated under 6 months ago. We can't go back to the drawing board on this or any of the other numerous cock ups that the UK Government made in their panicked, last minute negotiations 6 months ago. We had 5 bloody years to negotiate it and all this was done at our behest. Should we now show we that we had our fingers crossed all the time and ask to start again :shrug:

(And the line I highlighted did amuse me. All the fish hiding over the British side of the Channel, whilst the French side is empty :wink:).

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are weird!

Whilst I think Brexit was an enormous cock up, why would you want to see other nations ‘standing up to us’? Not me obviously. Why would you now not want the best outcome for all, even if not for the UK?

Are you kind of guy who would support Mars in a game of nuclear war against the Earth?

This Jersey oyster producer is siding with the French against our government.

Chris Le Masurier, owner of the Jersey Oyster Company, described conditions placed upon the new post-Brexit fishing licences issued to Breton and Norman fishermen as ‘insulting and discriminatory’.

He said: ‘I will stand with them and take the Normandy Trader [boat] and be with them to take part in a peaceful protest. It has been an absolute disgrace by our government. It is about protecting people’s historic rights, livelihoods and friendships which have been forged over years.

‘I would urge the government to act with the utmost urgency. When they are talking about an armada of French boats going to another jurisdiction [Jersey] – into another country’s official waters – and doing so with the support of the French government they have got to do something.

‘The government went out there and told them “don’t worry – as long as you have fished for ten days in 2017, 2018 or 2019 then you will be given a licence and can carry on”. But on Friday afternoon the licences were issued with all these conditions attached. It came to Monday morning and some could not go fishing.

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/...-been-an-absolute-disgrace-by-our-government/

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well, I’m not using anyone else’s. Having said that, it’s a universal truth that we properly ****ed up by leaving the EU.
Today’s events remind us all why being a member of the EU was so vital. And why it’s so vital for less conflict and good relationships across the EU and indeed, the world. We’ve been very, very silly indeed.

I couldn't have put it better. :thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It just looks like something from Yes Minister.

A public relations exercise in smoke and mirrors to appease the readers of the Daily Mail and Daily Express whilst deflecting attention from the ongoing Brexit shambles which continues to unfold daily in the UK

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
(And the line I highlighted did amuse me. All the fish hiding over the British side of the Channel, whilst the French side is empty :wink:).

Yes it does sound a bit silly, but true to an extent due to differing fishing rights for the British and French set out by the EU in the first place.
It seems we have been more stringent in our ressourcable fishing restrictions, why else would the French be fishing closer and closer to our border ?
You only have to watch the fishing programmes that were on the BBC recently, you have to feel for them in such a hard demanding industry, to believe their government would look after them, to be finally be used as pawn in a stupid game of chess with the EU.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes it does sound a bit silly, but true to an extent due to differing fishing rights for the British and French set out by the EU in the first place.
It seems we have been more stringent in our ressourcable fishing restrictions, why else would the French be fishing closer and closer to our border ?
You only have to watch the fishing programmes that were on the BBC recently, you have to feel for them in such a hard demanding industry, to believe their government would look after them, to be finally be used as pawn in a stupid game of chess with the EU.

Jersey is just 14 miles from the French coastline.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It just looks like something from Yes Minister.

A public relations exercise in smoke and mirrors to appease the readers of the Daily Mail and Daily Express whilst deflecting attention from the ongoing Brexit shambles which continues to unfold daily in the UK

Doesn't it shock you that this continues to work?

The whole, Brittania rules the waves imperialism is so utterly lodged is our psyche, that a PM can pointlessly escalate a trivial conflict and they will go up in the opinion polls. Any sensible, mature, at ease with itself electorate should be throwing any politician who tried this out on their ear. Boris has done this on the day of elections because he knows it will boost him. Unbelievable.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Jersey is just 14 miles from the French coastline.

I know that, i'm not that stupid and neither are the French, that is why they are protesting there and not off the coast of Cornwall or such like.
We all know half the population are of French ancestry anyway in Jersey and Guernsey and are more sympathetic towards anglo French relations.

Can you imagine the press if 100 boats showed up of Hastings or Worthing coast, & how many morons would be on the beach throwing stones and jeering.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Boris under fire over fraudulent use of donor's cash for flat decoration"
"Embattled Boris reeling from Cummings leaks"
"Boris asked donors to pay for his child-care costs"
"Boris under fire over illegally issuing tax breaks to Dyson"
"Oh look - Boris' own brother made a Director of Dyson's company, weeks after Dyson granted £250m government contract"

"Prime Minister, it seems that a few French fishing vessels are staging a non-obstructive, peaceful protest, in the Channel Islands"

"FANTASTIC! SEND IN THE GUN-BOATS. Get me Murdoch and Dacre on the phone. DEFLECT! DEFLECT! DEFLECT!"

Christ, how ****ing stupid are people?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
"Boris under fire over fraudulent use of donor's cash for flat decoration"
"Embattled Boris reeling from Cummings leaks"
"Boris asked donors to pay for his child-care costs"
"Boris under fire over illegally issuing tax breaks to Dyson"
"Oh look - Boris' own brother made a Director of Dyson's company, weeks after Dyson granted £250m government contract"

"Prime Minister, it seems that a few French fishing vessels are staging a non-obstructive, peaceful protest, in the Channel Islands"

"FANTASTIC! SEND IN THE GUN-BOATS. Get me Murdoch and Dacre on the phone. DEFLECT! DEFLECT! DEFLECT!"

Christ, how ****ing stupid are people?

You've been a moderator on NSC for years and yet you still need to ask ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know that, i'm not that stupid and neither are the French, that is why they are protesting there and not off the coast of Cornwall or such like.
We all know half the population are of French ancestry anyway in Jersey and Guernsey and are more sympathetic towards anglo French relations.

Can you imagine the press if 100 boats showed up of Hastings or Worthing coast, & how many morons would be on the beach throwing stones and jeering.

Please read the article I've quoted in post 124. The licences have been messed up.
This government is great with headlines but details are very hard to work out. It takes time and effort to get details right.

Hastings and Worthing are quite safe.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would appear half of British people actively enjoy isolationism and sticking two fingers up at the French and Germans at every opportunity.

Yet we are huge consumers of their food, drink and cars.

It is 76 years since the end of WW2 - just how long is this pathetic anti-European feeling going to persist?

Yoda

English & European
Doesn't it shock you that this continues to work?

The whole, Brittania rules the waves imperialism is so utterly lodged is our psyche, that a PM can pointlessly escalate a trivial conflict and they will go up in the opinion polls. Any sensible, mature, at ease with itself electorate should be throwing any politician who tried this out on their ear. Boris has done this on the day of elections because he knows it will boost him. Unbelievable.

And the sad matter is, Britannia hasn't ruled the waves since the 19th century.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It would appear half of British people actively enjoy isolationism and sticking two fingers up at the French and Germans at every opportunity.

Yet we are huge consumers of their food, drink and cars.

It is 76 years since the end of WW2 - just how long is this pathetic anti-European feeling going to persist?

I'm still miffed with the spanish from the 1580's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here