Booing Barnes?!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would never boo a player in the team that I support, however I had serious concerns when I saw Barnes had the ball for the penalty. Even more so with Spanish Daves record last season.....
But he scored, had a good all round game and got the decisive third, so well done to him!

I didn't. I figured either he'd score, and that would be great or he would miss and the fan reaction both at the amex and on here would provide a few hours entertainment. Barnes taking a penalty is a win-win.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This seems about right, but Barnes WAS awful until he scored the pen. Certainly improved substantially after that, but more than a third of the game as a liability is not a MoM performance IMHO.

this, was poor till he took the pen then played better 2nd half. not quite sure how people see if differently....... and for anyone booing, well that's just poor form

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Ive got to admit Barnes played poor, aside from the goal and assist which sounds crazy I know, I don't really rate him, but he does come up with goals at times which saves him, but he does waste so many opportunities. It seems alot of people have he same conclusion.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It seems alot of people have he same conclusion.

Fair enough, but why do you think Poyet, (who played him ahead of CMS before the latter was injured) OG (who is playing him ahead of Lita) and Sean Dyche (who bid £500,000 for him in August), don't share your opinion? Are they stupid, or are they seeing something that you (and all your fellow critics) don't?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barnes never got this kind of stick at Withdean. The boy cost peanuts, he's 24 years old and he's scored 50 goals for the Albion in less than 150 appearances. He's punching WAY above his weight. What on earth is not to like? Well apart from his occasional daft rush of blood to the head maybe. But he seems to be working on that aspect of his game. There's even unconfirmed reports of him smiling yesterday.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There are a lot of school bullies on here all of a sudden.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Fair enough, but why do you think Poyet, (who played him ahead of CMS before the latter was injured) OG (who is playing him ahead of Lita) and Sean Dyche (who bid £500,000 for him in August), don't share your opinion? Are they stupid, or are they seeing something that you (and all your fellow critics) don't?

TBH I don't, he is often played out wide kind of like Welbeck and (pardon the cliche) he is kind of a utility player, in that sense that he can play as a wide forward and upfront by himself. And give him his due he runs his bollocks off. Also like I said he does pop up with goals, even if he is having a sh!t game which he often does. Its funny that nearly 27,000 odd fans think the same, I'll be slating Barnes all game, justifiably so I might add, then he will score, its just the way things are with Barnes haha

He will waste 9 opportunities and then score the 10th, its ok if we get the 10 opportunities, but if its a tight game like it often is we cant afford to miss them.

Saying that when ever we have a televised game he plays well!

I think people were booing the mom award not Barnes as it clearly should have been Kuszczaks.

I agree with this. However, I have never heard nearly 27k people collectively draw in their breath and panically shout "No !" when he picked the ball up to take the penalty.:lolol:

However, he had the balls to do it and his goal celebration had a bit of "up yours " to it. Fair play Ashley.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think there was a lot of bewilderment yesterday when Ashley grabbed the ball for the penalty. Hence the reaction. We all thought we had finally discovered our regular penalty taker in the form of Spanish Dave. We had got used to all the others missing and costing us points...CMS, Barnes, Ulloa, Harley, Dicker, etc. This man, however, has a 100% record with us. It is like another player at Soton grabbing the ball from Lambert. The crowd at St Mary's would go mad.
A lot of people on here are saying..." whats the problem, he scored...he had the balls to take it " Well for me there is a problem. I want one regular penalty taker and unless he is not on the pitch, I want Lopez taking all of them. I trust him.
I now want to know....
1) Did Ashley decide to take this penalty off his own back?
2) Have OG and his team now decided to change the penalty taker or was the decision taken out of their hands?
3) Is Spanish Dave still the preferred choice or are we going back to the ridiculous days when Gus allowed players on the pitch to decide?
4) Was this a ' one-off ' decision to let Ashley take it, in a bid to restore confidence? If so, it was a massive gamble.
We should all know where we stand with penalties and we now need the answer from OG. The crowd reacted yesterday because to a man, they all expected Lopez. Barnes had been struggling and looked devoid of confidence in a one on one situation just before. The crowd were twitchy, puzzled and nervous. The conversion was a massive relief for all concerned.
To be fair, Ashley has scored more from the spot than he has missed but we shouldn't be leaving anything to chance. Why change from a man with a 100% record?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think there was a lot of bewilderment yesterday when Ashley grabbed the ball for the penalty. Hence the reaction. We all thought we had finally discovered our regular penalty taker in the form of Spanish Dave. We had got used to all the others missing and costing us points...CMS, Barnes, Ulloa, Harley, Dicker, etc. This man, however, has a 100% record with us. It is like another player at Soton grabbing the ball from Lambert. The crowd at St Mary's would go mad.
A lot of people on here are saying..." whats the problem, he scored...he had the balls to take it " Well for me there is a problem. I want one regular penalty taker and unless he is not on the pitch, I want Lopez taking all of them. I trust him.
I now want to know....
2) Have OG and his team now decided to change the penalty taker or was the decision taken out of their hands?
3) Is Spanish Dave still the preferred choice or are we going back to the ridiculous days when Gus allowed players on the pitch to decide?
4) Was this a ' one-off ' decision to let Ashley take it, in a bid to restore confidence? If so, it was a massive gamble.
We should all know where we stand with penalties and we now need the answer from OG. The crowd reacted yesterday because to a man, they all expected Lopez. Barnes had been struggling and looked devoid of confidence in a one on one situation just before. The crowd were twitchy, puzzled and nervous. The conversion was a massive relief for all concerned.
To be fair, Ashley has scored more from the spot than he has missed but we shouldn't be leaving anything to chance. Why change from a man with a 100% record?

5. Spanish Dave decided to be gracious because Barnes asked him if he could take it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It's remarkable, hence me remarking over it, that some find this need for a hate figure, and in doing so look to one of their closest to pour constant scorn, to tip vinegary utterances into the open scars of their last verbal lashings. I don't quite know the joy they feel in highlighting Barnes' imperfections or in having his occasional fluffs reinforce their loathings, but it's there in them, these inherently pantomime-viewing obsessives. Managers see him in, and praise, i hope, his willingness to take up any position asked of him, his permanent efforts for the team, his ability to be in telling positions even for when his tries fly wide or over more than in, and on most days his excellent hold-up play. He's not the perfect player but he's one that's risen with us and is a sign of what determination and toil can get you if you listen and try to be an element of a whole that's missing when you are. His hard work and his resilience have him improve year on year and i look forward to watching that betterment for a good few years to come at least. I hope over time more foul-gassy cakeholes are shut in his direction.

If I'm honest, he got lucky with the goals, other than that his game wasn't all that. what about when we wheee on the counter attack and he just walked back slowly ??! He's a striker he should have been sprinting and as it goes he may well have got on the end of the cross if he was there....

But booing him is just pathetic

I get what you're saying but the boy scored twice and set 1 up! Is football not part luck and part skill? I watched my boy play under 14's today for Falmer Falcons and it's the same at grass roots.. sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't-Barnes did his job today..just didn't score more.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I now want to know....

harsh on Dicker, I only remember him missing once...and he had already scored one penalty in that same match!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's remarkable, hence me remarking over it, that some find this need for a hate figure, and in doing so look to one of their closest to pour constant scorn, to tip vinegary utterances into the open scars of their last verbal lashings. I don't quite know the joy they feel in highlighting Barnes' imperfections or in having his occasional fluffs reinforce their loathings, but it's there in them, these inherently pantomime-viewing obsessives. Managers see him in, and praise, i hope, his willingness to take up any position asked of him, his permanent efforts for the team, his ability to be in telling positions even for when his tries fly wide or over more than in, and on most days his excellent hold-up play. He's not the perfect player but he's one that's risen with us and is a sign of what determination and toil can get you if you listen and try to be an element of a whole that's missing when you are. His hard work and his resilience have him improve year on year and i look forward to watching that betterment for a good few years to come at least. I hope over time more foul-gassy cakeholes are shut in his direction.

Agree, I wish these whinging fans raised their performance levels and aspire to be as perfect as they expect Barnes to be.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I would never boo a player in the team that I support, however I had serious concerns when I saw Barnes had the ball for the penalty. Even more so with Spanish Daves record last season.....
But he scored, had a good all round game and got the decisive third, so well done to him!

Around me it was all about Spanish not taking it more than who was...got to admire Barnes' front but would want the bench to overrule if Barnes wanted to take another and Dave was on the pitch.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Barnes was awful...

... until he scored the pen. He then improved considerably, but was never in a million years the MoM. That was TK, followed by JFK, then RI.

Did you actually watch the match, Barnes was by far the best player on the pitch in the 1st half ... Koosh because of his saves in the 2nd of which some were run of the mill

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
I now want to know....

Number 3 - Oscar said that he lets the players choose on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports