Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Barnes?!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Barnesy deliberately took the ball away from Lopez for the penalty kick as he wants Spanish Dave to be the new figure of hate amongst the Albion cognoscenti.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Couple of points in response...

Expect Barnes was allowed to take the penalty to get some confidence back. I'd expect Dave to continue to take them from now. Can't not really with his penalty record.

The point about the fact it wasn't dave is irrelevant imo too. If say Crofts had stepped up, would everyone of booed. No chance. Only player I'd expect to have been booed as well would be Bruno. Just completely uncalled for.

Barnes probably does have the best positioning out of our squad. Which is why he's usually scoring goals like yesterday's. Think back down the years to Dagenham game etc. Someone said Ulloa is better. Barnes isn't going to position himself in the same place as Ulloa, they have different qualities. Barnes is unlikely to get a header on target from a standing position with Scott Dann. He's much better off running from deeper and attacking the ball, which I expect is why he hung back.

Barnes was probably our hardest working player on the pitch yesterday. The shift he puts in to win lost balls is incredible and often wins the ball back for us. People still pick out moments where 'he didn't chase this ball' etc. If you watch the best players, they don't go chasing the ball round the park like a lost dog. Its about positioning yourself for the next chance and getting the right balance.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Couple of points in response...

Barnes was probably our hardest working player on the pitch yesterday. The shift he puts in to win lost balls is incredible and often wins the ball back for us. People still pick out moments where 'he didn't chase this ball' etc. If you watch the best players, they don't go chasing the ball round the park like a lost dog. Its about positioning yourself for the next chance and getting the right balance.

That sounds remarkably like one of our injured forwards

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Saw it yesterday post-match somewhere, Albion official post on Facebook most probably. It was definitely said.

That is desperately disappointing , if true.
So each penalty is now up for grabs is it?...even though we have a man with a proven track record. Really can't believe this train of thought.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
I did write that bit to start with, then thought it was going on too long so just deleted it :lol:

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
So each penalty is now up for grabs is it?...even though we have a man with a proven track record. Really can't believe this train of thought.

In the long term probably was the right decision for Barnes to claim that penalty. He's back in the goals now. Does it matter that the decision's on the pitch?? Surely the team will want the best for the result, which would mean Dave taking it?? If not and Barnes refuses to let Dave take them, then thats wrong. However none of us know the ins and out. So can't speculate.

Feb 14, 2010
Some people are very precious these days, players always have got stick. Barnes and CMS missed sitter after sitter last season, and according to the reports he missed another one yesterday before he scored the penalty and so that is why he is not as popular as true goal scorers like Ward. It doesn't mean that he cant have a good game, or play well in other aspects of his game, or that he is not worth his place in the side. But he has so far not shown himself to be a proper goalscorer and he has missed a hatful of chances. Bottom line is that if he scores 30 goals this year then everyone will be happy but on past seasons, its difficult to think that he will, but here is hoping he will, as after all, some players reach their peak at different times.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Not necessarily, for all we know they have been practicing penalties and all team players are able to take them. Yesterday was the first penalty given to us of the season - it remains to be seen what will happen for the next one, if we get one.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
What is this 'sitter' that Barnes supposedly missed yesterday? Don't remember a chance he had when he should've scored rather than missed?? If the one suggested is the one he caught on to a mistake then slowed up before blazing over (just before the pen). He should've done much better. But was never a sitter. Would've had to have been a screamer to score from there. But he should've hit the target.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Let's just be quite honest about this, anyone who boos a player of the team they supposedly support is just not a true supporter.
Okay I bet i'll get shouted out by the ' real fans' who were at the Priestfield and Withdean who say they are bigger supporters than me, but thats not right, it is Never acceptable to boo one of our own, unless he did something disrespectful to the colours of our shirts, aren't we all blue And White stripes ?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Let's just be quite honest about this, anyone who boos a player of the team they supposedly support is just not a true supporter.
Okay I bet i'll get shouted out by the ' real fans' who were at the Priestfield and Withdean who say they are bigger supporters than me, but thats not right, it is Never acceptable to boo one of our own, unless he did something disrespectful to the colours of our shirts, aren't we all blue And White stripes ?

Not even Ankergren when they read his name out before the game ??? haha

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think there was a lot of bewilderment yesterday when Ashley grabbed the ball for the penalty. Hence the reaction. We all thought we had finally discovered our regular penalty taker in the form of Spanish Dave. We had got used to all the others missing and costing us points...CMS, Barnes, Ulloa, Harley, Dicker, etc. This man, however, has a 100% record with us. It is like another player at Soton grabbing the ball from Lambert. The crowd at St Mary's would go mad.
A lot of people on here are saying..." whats the problem, he scored...he had the balls to take it " Well for me there is a problem. I want one regular penalty taker and unless he is not on the pitch, I want Lopez taking all of them. I trust him.
I now want to know....
1) Did Ashley decide to take this penalty off his own back?
2) Have OG and his team now decided to change the penalty taker or was the decision taken out of their hands?
3) Is Spanish Dave still the preferred choice or are we going back to the ridiculous days when Gus allowed players on the pitch to decide?
4) Was this a ' one-off ' decision to let Ashley take it, in a bid to restore confidence? If so, it was a massive gamble.
We should all know where we stand with penalties and we now need the answer from OG. The crowd reacted yesterday because to a man, they all expected Lopez. Barnes had been struggling and looked devoid of confidence in a one on one situation just before. The crowd were twitchy, puzzled and nervous. The conversion was a massive relief for all concerned.
To be fair, Ashley has scored more from the spot than he has missed but we shouldn't be leaving anything to chance. Why change from a man with a 100% record?
Sitting behind Oscar and Jones, it was pretty clear Barnes was not meant to take the penalty. They did not look too amused when he lined up to take it. Fair play to Barnes for having the balls to take it, but he took a huge risk. Again going by Oscars reaction to him taking it, I think his comment about letting the players decide who takes them, was to save face and any awkward follow questions!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, who had the better game of these two?

Eight Million pound man Jordan Rhodes or
Ashley Barnes

Plus who out of those 2 really missed a sitter?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What is this 'sitter' that Barnes supposedly missed yesterday? Don't remember a chance he had when he should've scored rather than missed?? If the one suggested is the one he caught on to a mistake then slowed up before blazing over (just before the pen). He should've done much better. But was never a sitter. Would've had to have been a screamer to score from there. But he should've hit the target.

Absolutely. People talking about Barnes missing a "sitter" really don't know very much about football. It was a long, long way from being a sitter - what was disappointing is that he didn't get it on target but if I'd scored it, no-one would have said it was a tap-in (except the Barnes haters on here, the ones who'd be saying it was sitter if he'd blasted it in from 30m).

Like most people on here, I thought PIG was MOM yesterday and thought JFC was our best outfield player but reckoned Barnes had a decent enough match and certainly wasn't the striker who missed a sitter - that was Jordan Rhodes

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Absolutely. People talking about Barnes missing a "sitter" really don't know very much about football. It was a long, long way from being a sitter - what was disappointing is that he didn't get it on target but if I'd scored it, no-one would have said it was a tap-in (except the Barnes haters on here, the ones who'd be saying it was sitter if he'd blasted it in from 30m).

It wasn't a sitter but it should have been a straight one on one with the keeper. He was put clear with a misplaced back-pass but his second touch ( with the outside of his right foot ) was poor and pushed him at least a yard wide. This enabled the defender to close on him and he snatched at his shot, under pressure.
Barnes made the chance more difficult for himself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It wasn't a sitter but it should have been a straight one on one with the keeper. He was put clear with a misplaced back-pass but his second touch ( with the outside of his right foot ) was poor and pushed him at least a yard wide. This enabled the defender to close on him and he snatched at his shot, under pressure.
Barnes made the chance more difficult for himself.

It was a poor shot but hardly surprising given his lack of goals and poor confidence in front of goal with his goal record this season. Every chance that he will do better should a similar opportunity arise in the next game. Confidence plays a massive part in a striker's game, now he has got a couple of goals, I expect to see him more confident with chances he gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here