Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Barnes?!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
What is this 'sitter' that Barnes supposedly missed yesterday? Don't remember a chance he had when he should've scored rather than missed?? If the one suggested is the one he caught on to a mistake then slowed up before blazing over (just before the pen). He should've done much better. But was never a sitter. Would've had to have been a screamer to score from there. But he should've hit the target.

Everyone criticising him for that one bad touch seems to have conveniently forgotten Ulloa screwing up a 1 on 1 against the Wednesday keeper

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think Barnesy deliberately took the ball away from Lopez for the penalty kick as he wants Spanish Dave to be the new figure of hate amongst the Albion cognoscenti.

Naah ...... out of form SD might be, but as we saw last year, he has the ability to run the show, something that 'other players' can only dream of.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
People around me booed when he shaped up to take the penalty. One "fan" even stood up and shouted NO!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People around me booed when he shaped up to take the penalty. One "fan" even stood up and shouted NO!
I have absolutely no reason to think this is a lie.
But I can't process it as the truth.

It just doesn't make any sense, on any level.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thought he been doing well considering the service he gets ,however I thought had a very good game but I just felt PIG deserved MOM he kept us in the game. I feel ash is putting 110% in. Well done Ash

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I like Barnes, and I must admit I did let out a 'why isn't Lopez taking it' when Barnes grabbed the ball. But fair play to him, to have the balls to do that, kick start his season and then score a second in the same game.

I hope he stays, but lets not forget the abuse Murray got at times from our 'fans', so we aren't the brightest bunch

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Everyone criticising him for that one bad touch seems to have conveniently forgotten Ulloa screwing up a 1 on 1 against the Wednesday keeper

Yep. Ulloa's was absolutely dreadful. I'm just becoming numb to the barnes hate now, I can rarely muster the energy to argue with idiots who moan when a player does poorly, then when he plays well they still grumble.

It's observation bias, borne out of a desire to be some wise sage on all things football, they DEFINITELY know barnes is terrible, league 2 at best. And if he puts in a good performance it was lucky, nothing to do with his ability. And if he scores a good goal it doesn't matter, cause he miscontrolled a long ball last week. They're just pathetic.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I didn't hear any boos, but there were gasps of disbelief when he grabbed the ball for the penalty. Top cojones to the guy for burying it, and having the guts to battle through the game and lead us to a key victory.

I see Naylor has gleefully latched on to this - if there was one boo be sure he will have heard it, it will have made his day.

There will have course have been boos from the away end as he stepped up, it would not surprise me if this was all Barnes heard.

PG

PG

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Didn't hear any booing around me in WSU. It was more of a collective sharp intake of breath, shaking of heads and muttering of "Barnes? surely not?". Given his history of penalty misses, and that there was a clear alternative spot kicker on the pitch, I don't find that surprising, and I had the same feeling. The same people as far as I could see were cheering him enthusiastically when the shot went in.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
...., but lets not forget the abuse Murray got at times from our 'fans', so we aren't the brightest bunch
So when was that then?.... perhaps once we realised he was holding out for a move and got all moody, but I don't recall anything other than good support for Glen, he always amazed me with his defensive headers, let alone his goal tally.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So when was that then?.... perhaps once we realised he was holding out for a move and got all moody, but I don't recall anything other than good support for Glen, he always amazed me with his defensive headers, let alone his goal tally.

During his flurry of red cards, 'that' away game at Brentford... quite early on during his career with us too, when he had that undiagnosed hernia and fans were getting on his back for being lazy

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Didn't hear any booing around me in WSU. It was more of a collective sharp intake of breath, shaking of heads and muttering of "Barnes? surely not?". Given his history of penalty misses, and that there was a clear alternative spot kicker on the pitch, I don't find that surprising, and I had the same feeling. The same people as far as I could see were cheering him enthusiastically when the shot went in.
Exactly, it was the away fans.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

His goal tally, which Barnes is only 6 away from overtaking - right ?

Exactly, it was the away fans.

No, it wasnt. There was CERTAINLY ones in the North booing behind me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As mentioned, Brentford. Also after a game at Wycombe when he got sent off for a deliberate handball. He was also christened one in ten Glenn by quite a few on Nsc.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I saw him win countless hoof balls with his chest, lay off passes to the midfield and keep going until the minute he was subbed. As well as the aforementioned goals and assist.

All things that he does in virtually every game he plays for us-obviously not 2 goals every game. I see a player with some fire in his belly and who wants to play for the club-regardless of where he is asked to play. I'd rather he was with us than not at this stage of our development.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Either your memory is a shocker, or you're deliberately re-writing history.

Glenn was pilloried on here for his 'want away' attitude. Until his 22-goal season in 2010-11, there were many who thought him lazy, unconcerned and not good enough.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Anyone who boos any player who pulls on the Albion shirt can't seriously consider themselves a real Brighton fan can they ?
Utterly contemptuous and pathetic.
By all means disagree with MOTM decision which I did myself, but boo the guy and give him shit after scoring two goals ??
Take a look at yourselves !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here