Booing Barnes?!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Missed a sitter and really didn't do a lot more. You need much more from your lone striker in this division, especially if you have paid £7 million for a goalscorer.

Not sure what the rest of you are going on about frankly.

BHA res 3 Blackburn 0

More than happy with that, but carry on

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It does seem strange for any "fan" to be bathed in the herald of victory and find it in themselves to muster up a bark of bile in the direction of one of their own. I have to begin to question myself and feelings toward Crofts now so i don't become one of those unchangeable noosemen from afar that i have nothing but disrespect for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon the very same people who boo Barnes were the ones booing Murray. Even as he started to pop them in he was slagged off as being moody, one in ten Glenn, surly, lazy and shit. Barnes actually gets off quite lightly in comparison as there are more clueless fans in a crowd of 26,000 than in a crowd of 8,000. Can you imagine how the abuse would have sounded if we'd playing at the Amex for the first few years of Glenn being here?.

All of this.

Anyone who used the phrase "one in ten Glenn" is ****ing thick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is one guy in particular in my area who I'm pretty sure isn't actually interested in football he just comes to moan. From the first minute to the last he finds something, one of our players, one of theirs, the ref, it really doesn't matter he just seems to come to vent.

He's one of those fans who moan about a pass the moment it a kicked then sheepishly growl "we were lucky there" when the pass goes to one of our players (usually it's intended for a player he either didn't think it was intended for, or he didn't see them).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Missed a sitter and really didn't do a lot more. You need much more from your lone striker in this division, especially if you have paid £7 million for a goalscorer.

Not sure what the rest of you are going on about frankly.

BHA res 3 Blackburn 0

More than happy with that, but carry on

You're not really worth bothering with, but let me help you. Ash had the balls to take the penalty. He chased a lost cause to get the ball, tucked it backe fo Conway to cross and jfc score, then scored the 3rd from close in. Funny, that when Lita was in the right place to score from close in last week, it was because he is a natural scorer. When Barnes does the same, he is lucky. I rather think Kuczac would have expected to make all his saves today as they were a nice height, hit from distance with little pace. The saves needed to be made, but weren't truly special. Mom was about right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're not really worth bothering with, but let me help you. Ash had the balls to take the penalty. He chased a lost cause to get the ball, tucked it backe fo Conway to cross and jfc score, then scored the 3rd from close in. Funny, that when Lita was in the right place to score from close in last week, it was because he is a natural scorer. When Barnes does the same, he is lucky. I rather think Kuczac would have expected to make all his saves today as they were a nice height, hit from distance with little pace. The saves needed to be made, but weren't truly special. Mom was about right.
Whoosh!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If I'm honest, he got lucky with the goals, other than that his game wasn't all that. what about when we wheee on the counter attack and he just walked back slowly ??! He's a striker he should have been sprinting and as it goes he may well have got on the end of the cross if he was there....

He was shocking and the majority know it, yes he scored a penalty and a tap in (and for that I give him credit) but he is woefully short of what's required. It was embarrassing where I was sat, general derisory groans as each move forward broke down generally with his poor control or impressions of Tom Daley. He ain't good enough and that is fact and will disappear if we ever get to full strength.

**** me theres some idiots on here.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
i was taken aback by the announcement that it was the focus group selecting it! Barnes had a good game - but Tom and Conway were just above him imo. i thought conway really shone today once he swapped wings with SD

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
All good strikers are lucky Ashley works very hard and I agree booing is very pathetic and just wrong he is wearing our club shirt!
Fair assessment...he works very hard and I wouldn't boo him either,but the thing that does annoy with our Ash is his petulance and dropping down at the slightest touch...other than that....respect.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I even heard someone moan that he over celebrated his penalty today. You know he has had a good game when people have to moan about him celebrating.

He was MOM imo. He held the ball up well, did some very good defensive work, worked his socks off, scored two and won the ball for our third goal.

I really hope he signs a new contract soon.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Got a agree with that.

He did show bollocks thought to take the penalty, as regardless of what Oscar said after the game, Spanish Dave was meant to take it, and the bench were not impressed with Barnes taking it. Not the greatest penatly, but a goals a goal, but if he had missed, I think he may have in deep shit tonight.

Apart from a couple of excellent defensive clearances, I though he had a poor game, but he scored a penalty and a tap in, so got MOM!!!!!

You can only score a tap in if you're in the right place.

THAT IS WHAT HE DOES.

He has the best positional sense of anyone in the squad.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
IMO he had been under-par before the penalty; perhaps a 5 or 6 out of 10, as he'd held the ball up well but been poor trying to lay people in, or in shooting positions. However, if anything I respect him more for demanding he take the penalty, when everyone in the ground knew he was not first in line to do so. He massively needed the confidence boost of a goal, as he's played well in the last month without ever really looking like scoring, and it took brass bo||ocks to step up and take the pen, knowing hundreds (if not thousands) of people were waiting for him to miss to have an opportunity to slag him off.

His celebration said a lot to me - purest, angry relief, he's clearly been frustrated to not score for so long, and it genuinely meant something to net at last. Lo and behold, with a bit of confidence, he follows in a shot 2nd half for a pretty scrappy but nonetheless instinctual striker's goal. If Ulloa had put in the same performance Barnes did today, the moaners would be singing about his hold-up play and instinct, and ignoring the poor first touch or wasted 1-on-1 in the first half. Barnes does it and people forget the brace and concentrate on the mistakes. Says more about their determination to be proved right that "he's shit" than his actual ability.

For me there's a difference between thinking someone on your side wasn't at their 100% best, and genuinely wanting them to do poorly so you can have a rant and feel like some font-of-all-wisdom pundit-type. Unfortunately a lot of our so-called 'fans' are the latter.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Fair enough no one like a smart arse, here is a slowed down analysis.

We put out a side today with no natural pace going forward due to an extensive injury list. This made it difficult for us to catch Blackburn on the break, yet still we scored three goals.

The opposition had the most expensive striker in the division, who frankly did not do a lot and missed a good chance with a downward header at the far post.

Maybe if people want to talk about a forward's short comings, it would be more appropriate to discuss the performance of the 7 million pound striker. I hope this helps.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

We put out a side today with no natural pace going forward due to an extensive injury list. This made it difficult for us to catch Blackburn on the break, yet still we scored three goals.

The opposition had the most expensive striker in the division, who frankly did not do a lot and missed a good chance with a downward header at the far post.

Maybe if people want to talk about a forward's short comings, it would be more appropriate to discuss the performance of the 7 million pound striker. I hope this helps.

I think the sarcasm in your first post was lost (TBH - I'd forgotten about Jordan Rhodes!!).

It's a valid point and quite right. If comparing performances what price Ashley against Rhodes.......

For what it's worth, I'm tired of these threads, every time Ashley scores or when he doesn't.

He's a good player (not a great one), defensively outstanding, misses chances, also puts some away, brilliant movement (a la Sheringham), has a vile temper but is working to contain that, Poyet rated him, other teams bid for him, Oscar plays him (even though he has Lita) he apparently cost £50k - what else do people want?

Most importantly he plays for the team we all support.

As for MoM. Of course he wasn't but so what....... The sponsors rarely get it right IMO, but does it normally provoke this reaction - all quite pathetic.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
I even heard someone moan that he over celebrated his penalty today. You know he has had a good game when people have to moan about him celebrating.

He was MOM imo. He held the ball up well, did some very good defensive work, worked his socks off, scored two and won the ball for our third goal.

I really hope he signs a new contract soon.

yes sir! :albion2:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You Barnes lickers are all the same and should remember

1: If he doesn't score whatever else he does in the match is irrelevant
2: if he does score the goal is irrelevant because he didn't control a throw-in very well in the 13th minute.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Thank you. I was clearly tired and emotional late last night!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports