Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Barnes?!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He was shocking and the majority know it, yes he scored a penalty and a tap in (and for that I give him credit) but he is woefully short of what's required. It was embarrassing where I was sat, general derisory groans as each move forward broke down generally with his poor control or impressions of Tom Daley. He ain't good enough and that is fact and will disappear if we ever get to full strength.

You really haven't got a clue.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Let's be completely honest here. If you boo the awarding of the MOTM to a player who's had a bloody decent game, simply because he's not the man who YOU think should have won it, then you are, frankly, a depressing waste of oxygen who doesn't deserve a seat at the Amex.

I did not. I just thought Tom deserved it. I did not boo Barnes. It is a game of opinions and someone calling someone a depressing waste of oxygen is a little bit over the top imo.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He was shocking and the majority know it, yes he scored a penalty and a tap in (and for that I give him credit) but he is woefully short of what's required. It was embarrassing where I was sat, general derisory groans as each move forward broke down generally with his poor control or impressions of Tom Daley. He ain't good enough and that is fact and will disappear if we ever get to full strength.

Generally, I try to be polite to people on here. I try to respect the fact that everyone's entitled to their opinion, even when it's diametrically opposed to my own.

But there's only one person who's embarrassed himself here, and it's not Ashley Barnes.

Do you actually know anything about football whatsoever?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did not. I just thought Tom deserved it. I did not boo Barnes. It is a game of opinions and someone calling someone a depressing waste of oxygen is a little bit over the top imo.

If you actually recall your own post, you'll notice that you mentioned people booing Barnes.

I am criticising them, not you. There really is no need to take offence, unless you're particularly hoping to be so.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If you actually recall your own post, you'll notice that you mentioned people booing Barnes.

I am criticising them, not you. There really is no need to take offence, unless you're particularly hoping to be so.

No but it was a little over the top imo. Anyone that pays £ 600 a season for their seat is entitled to have an opinion imo even if we think it is wrong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No but it was a little over the top imo. Anyone that pays £ 600 a season for their seat is entitled to have an opinion imo even if we think it is wrong.

I respect the right of anyone to have an opinion on a player, but to boo the awarding of the MOTM award simply because you don't agree with it is petty, pathetic and utterly demeaning to that player, and displays a total lack of class and intelligence. If you don't like the decision, then just shut the **** up. There really is no need to boo.

Only my opinion, of course.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
It's all about relativity. Maybe Barnes isn't top a top notch championship player but such a criticism could be aimed at most of our team. However in a team ravaged by injury he is giving nothing less than 100% and doing a great job of trying to hold the ball up and link up play via some pretty ropey distribution from the likes of Greer and Upson. It also took balls to claim the penalty kick after the miss minutes earlier and that normally Lopez would have taken it. Some people need to get off his back and get behind him.

If you want to moan look no further than Bruno who looks to me like a strolling show pony who loses concentration,is slow getting back and I think will cost us dearly at some point. Calde must be fuming that he can't get on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I respect the right of anyone to have an opinion on a player, but to boo the awarding of the MOTM award simply because you don't agree with it is petty, pathetic and utterly demeaning to that player, and displays a total lack of class and intelligence. If you don't like the decision, then just shut the **** up. There really is no need to boo.

We disagree as we live in a free World and people can express themselves in any way they want especially if they have paid for that right. It would be a very boring World if we all conformed to a certain way. Disagree for sure but don't want to take away that right.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes was awful...

... until he scored the pen. He then improved considerably, but was never in a million years the MoM. That was TK, followed by JFK, then RI.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and booing the MoM announcement of any of our players is just plain wrong IMHO...

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
Barnes must be doing something right. Both Gus and Oscar have picked him, and he may well be in at present due to injuries, but he might not be.
I like Ashley Barnes, I think he works extremely hard for the team, yes does not control the ball sometimes and yes he misses some chances, but all strikers do that.
When Lita cam on, twice he had the ball played in to his path and twice he lost control, but no one got on his case about it. Given (in my opinion) how well he plays for the team given the lack of support from some sections of the crowd, how well would he do with their full support?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I agree that they are entitled to, but it doesn't help the player or the team perform better or play without fear so it's an own goal.

Maybe the better the support the better the performance?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe there should be two awards. One for the Albion player who scores the most goals in a match. This could be presented by the pissed-up sponsors. Also some mechanism for awarding the fans MoM, maybe vote by phone before 80 minute mark ('lines are now closed'). This award could be presented by a fan who voted, drawn at random.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Maybe there should be two awards. One for the Albion player who scores the most goals in a match. This could be presented by the pissed-up sponsors. Also some mechanism for awarding the fans MoM, maybe vote by phone before 80 minute mark ('lines are now closed'). This award could be presented by a fan who voted, drawn at random.

Or a SMS voting scheme for 10p a vote, I'm sure many would vote if a particular player has had a great game.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I hav'nt allways agreed with your posts Edna but your spot on with that one.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Ashley Barnes would not have a problem walking into any Championship side and is highly regarded by a number of teams and their managers ,but then he is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesnt .

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Because kuszcz and jfc were far far far better than him. It's the standard "Oh he scored the most goals so he must be the best player" nonsense that people boo'd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here