Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigger fish to fry than palace?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I never really understood what having a new stadium represents except its new and modern. It looks terrific and modern but personally and this is my honest opinion I will be gutted if we have to vacate Selhurst, it is our home and where I grew up watching Palace since a boy and where I have started to take my 5 year old. I have been to a few of these new shiny stadia and they are all so similar and have zero character or atmosphere. Darlington have a new 25k capacity stadium and now sit in the 9th tier of English football so it does not bring any guarentees, its just a place to play football.
!

With respect, that last quote alone shows you aren't very well qualified to speak on this issue, being very ignorant. The Amex isn't 'just a place to play football' for longstanding Brighton fans who went to Gillingham, and suffered Withdean. It is much more than that, probably resulting in the new dawn and the crowds flocking back.

If you were just moving from one much-loved old ground straight into another new one, you might be right. But this (as preumably you maye have heard) isn't what happened to us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You need the facilities to attract the top players. In theory Palace may be able to hold their own in the Prem with a 30,000 new stadium but that will never happen now with Selhurst.

Nathaniel10

Sep 27, 2012
I think I was just highlighting my preference for wanting to remain at Selhurst and the reasons for it. You boys have had a rough time but all we seem to hear this end is look at our shiny new stadium and Shitehurst etc. Personally and this is only my opinion the new grounds are just soulless and have no character, you lot can slag SP off all day but for us it holds a lot of great memories. I am sure you lot felt the same when you were forced to leave the Goldstone and I reckon there is still a fair percentage of fans who would take it over the shiny new American Express.

I think I was just highlighting my preference for wanting to remain at Selhurst and the reasons for it. You boys have had a rough time but all we seem to hear this end is look at our shiny new stadium and Shitehurst etc. Personally and this is only my opinion the new grounds are just soulless and have no character, you lot can slag SP off all day but for us it holds a lot of great memories. I am sure you lot felt the same when you were forced to leave the Goldstone and I reckon there is still a fair percentage of fans who would take it over the shiny new American Express.

You are not the only one that finds it all a bit cringy,could quite easily go above us then we would look silly:blush:

you sound like you talk a bit of sense (however if I 'heard Palace this Palace that' I'd shut my ears)but don't knock the new stadium bit til youve tried it (figure of speech) I never though i'd like it but feel more a part of the club than in a long time, however if you offered me The Goldstone c1979 i'd take it

Nathaniel10

Sep 27, 2012
To be fair I did try the new stadium last September and loved every minute of it (well from minute 79 onwards)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair in terms of recent rivalry there hasnt really been one as Palace have been playing in higher divisions than BHA for the best part of 30 years, its a fact. If you dont play each other then the rivalry does seem to cool off a little. Now we are back in the same division the spark has been reignited and it is brilliant for both sets of supporters to look forward to the games.

I am a Palace fan and being in my mid 30s fortunatley have not had to suffer to many defeats to BHA so am grateful for that although as your man says in a previous thread apparently you had the edge on us back in the 20s (not sure how relevant that is). I suppose taking the 4 points from you gave us the bragging rights for last season but thats gone now (although the record books will always show the 1-3 as your 1st league defeat at the American Express).

There does seem to be an air of arrogance coming from the South Coast and although I agree you are a club on the up you would have thought that you would have the title wrapped up by January and that we were doomed for relegation. Football has a habit of kicking you in the nuts and now we find ourselves just 1 point behind you and funnily enough the cheap shots on the Palace forums have quietened. Personally I think you boys will be up there challenging and from a Palace perspective I will be looking downwards rather than up for a while.

The other thing I find a bit strange is that you bang on about is the stadium and the swing in attendances. I never really understood what having a new stadium represents except its new and modern. It looks terrific and modern but personally and this is my honest opinion I will be gutted if we have to vacate Selhurst, it is our home and where I grew up watching Palace since a boy and where I have started to take my 5 year old. I have been to a few of these new shiny stadia and they are all so similar and have zero character or atmosphere. Darlington have a new 25k capacity stadium and now sit in the 9th tier of English football so it does not bring any guarentees, its just a place to play football.

BHA are currently the better supported team on average gates but this should not really be a surprise. Brighton has quite a large population and there is no real competition or alternative. It is also well documented that having the student campus on the doorstep has definitely played a part in the upsurge of support, with this type of supporter I am sure that they most probably have a main team who they support and watch BHA whilst they stay away - and why not. Palace will always struggle to average anything above 15k whilst in the Championship, the competition for teams in London is fierce with 6 London sides in the Prem and then we have Charlton and Millwall on our doorsteps. I pick my boy up from school and all you can see are Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd bags, scarves etc, recruiting new support is tough.

Anyway you get the gist of this, from a Palace perspective you have been off the radar for the best part of a quarter of a century and my point is I suppose that you will need a lengthy period of time in a higher division or I suppose at least start with taking 3 points from us at some point. Good Luck!
Very fair post. The only point I can take issue with is, as Tooting pointed out, the fact that our stadium represents EVERYTHING to us. It is not simply somewhere 'new and modern' to us any more than your children are just bits of skin and bone to you; for us it's the physical manifestation of everything we fought for from about 1990 onwards and every time we go there we remember how shit the last thirty years has been.

I grant you some of the "Ha, we got 10,000 more than Palace!" attendance willy-waving that goes on can be a bit embarrassing, but on the other hand no Brighton fan under 40 has ever seen crowds like this on a regular basis so it's understandable

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Well there's going to be a bumper crowd at Selhurst this coming Saturday if these BBS posts are anything to go by:

"My Dad got hundreds of promotional leaflets today in the post advertising £5 for adults £1 for children"

"Anyone else on Groupon notice that Palace tickets were one of the deals of the day on their emails? A pair of tickets for £20"

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Such an unbelievable, egotistical, wanker of a thread...

We are having our best run in decades and they are still only 1 point behind us :jester:

Last season we didn't even beat them :jester:

You don't keep changing rivals depending on their current league status... If you can the hatred is false and was never genuine... In this case it is very genuine and we shall hate them forever :)

Thread likes this are proper cringing :facepalm:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I can't see Crawley becoming our rivals and Pompey are sinking fast so I guess we are stuck with Palace in terms of locality. Southampton may return next season to the Championship - if we are still here :albion2:

If Crawley get promoted and Albion don't, then you have a rival far more on your dorstep than Palace, and a Sussex side to boot. No doubt bigger crowds there will draw in both former Albion and Palace supporters.

Good luck to Crawley I say, hope to see a game at the Broadfield this season.

Nathaniel10

Sep 27, 2012
Well there's going to be a bumper crowd at Selhurst this coming Saturday if these BBS posts are anything to go by:

"My Dad got hundreds of promotional leaflets today in the post advertising £5 for adults £1 for children"

"Anyone else on Groupon notice that Palace tickets were one of the deals of the day on their emails? A pair of tickets for £20"

Yes - It is a family day this Saturday all schools in Croydon have been offered the chance for £5 tickets. Whats the big deal with this, it works two fold it gives the kids a chance to go and watch a professional game of football for a fiver and bumps the gate up. Burnley home would normally attract 12k so this should increase it to £15+ which is excellent.

If we gain 1 or 2 long term supporters from this venture then its job done, I welcome ideas like this and do not find it in any way an embarrassment. These kids will be lured in to Man U, Chelsea or Spurs soon enough as they are drowned with Sky Sports so this may just be the thing which sways them to support CPFC.

A said previously it is tough for us to recruit masses of new fans for geographical and financial reasons so ideas like this I think are a great idea. I am sure that BHA offer discounted tickets for OAPs, students etc and this should be commended.

Grow up mate there really are some bell ends on this thing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes - It is a family day this Saturday all schools in Croydon have been offered the chance for £5 tickets. Whats the big deal with this, it works two fold it gives the kids a chance to go and watch a professional game of football for a fiver and bumps the gate up. Burnley home would normally attract 12k so this should increase it to £15+ which is excellent.

If we gain 1 or 2 long term supporters from this venture then its job done, I welcome ideas like this and do not find it in any way an embarrassment. These kids will be lured in to Man U, Chelsea or Spurs soon enough as they are drowned with Sky Sports so this may just be the thing which sways them to support CPFC.

A said previously it is tough for us to recruit masses of new fans for geographical and financial reasons so ideas like this I think are a great idea. I am sure that BHA offer discounted tickets for OAPs, students etc and this should be commended.

Grow up mate there really are some bell ends on this thing

Welcome to NSC. Keep with the sensible stuff, rather than the abusive nonsense some of your brethren spout, and that will be splendid. You even get a comparitively normal looking Gamesmaker avatar as a prize :thumbsup:

Nathaniel10

Sep 27, 2012
To be fair there is plenty of BHA fans quoting tripe on our forums. Just on here really to have a look at how you boys see your start on the season and stumble upon this and also a 102 page thread on our Wilf.

Interesting

I grant you some of the "Ha, we got 10,000 more than Palace!" attendance willy-waving that goes on can be a bit embarrassing, but on the other hand no Brighton fan under 40 has ever seen crowds like this on a regular basis so it's understandable

If you've got a bigger willy then wave it .

Look at the size of my signature !

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
such an unbelievable, egotistical, wanker of a thread...

We are having our best run in decades and they are still only 1 point behind us :jester:

Last season we didn't even beat them :jester:

You don't keep changing rivals depending on their current league status... If you can the hatred is false and was never genuine... In this case it is very genuine and we shall hate them forever :)

thread likes this are proper cringing :facepalm:

this..

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
With respect, that last quote alone shows you aren't very well qualified to speak on this issue, being very ignorant. The Amex isn't 'just a place to play football' for longstanding Brighton fans who went to Gillingham, and suffered Withdean. It is much more than that, probably resulting in the new dawn and the crowds flocking back.

If you were just moving from one much-loved old ground straight into another new one, you might be right. But this (as preumably you maye have heard) isn't what happened to us.

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here