Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigger fish to fry than palace?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I am well aware of the way they cheated there way to the prem, but still you cant ever change who your main rivals are! it will always be palace no matter what league they or we are in!

This, my Great great great great grandchildren will know Palarse are the rivally, even if by then they are in the bottom tier and us in the top, its the law end of!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
errrr....

how about

1950/51
51/52
55/56
57/58
75/76
80/81
83/84 ?

They've done the double over us only 4 times, the last of which was 1932/33

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
In my Brighton facts spreadsheet, I have the same dates for us doing the double over them (7 times since the war), but I only have them down as 1920, 1931 and 1932. When was the other time they manages the holy grail?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In my Brighton facts spreadsheet, I have the same dates for us doing the double over them (7 times since the war), but I only have them down as 1920, 1931 and 1932. When was the other time they manages the holy grail?

1928/29 - they beat us 1-0 and 1-5 :(

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1928/29 - they beat us 1-0 and 1-5 :(
So they did, thanks for the education. So that changes things then, it's now 7 to us since the war, and the last time they did the double over us was 1932. Oh, that's still the same :lol:

Feb 14, 2010
I think the point of the tread has been lost a bit. The distinction to make between palace being above us over that last 25 years is that the Albion were in a false position for much of that time because of decline and then the Goldstone being sold.

Despite what people say, palace are not in that situation and have never really suffered hard times, we must remember that despite a few insolvent situations, palace have still managed to stay at Selhurst.

The real point of the thread is however that the Albion look set to / already have, started to reap the benefits of being a regional club and as such our gates, despite playing only second tier football are already double theirs.

If the Albion reach the top flight again, then what next and with palace staying as they are, an OK supported team in the championship then its likely that over the years, the rivalry might take on a Stoke / Port Vale significance as the Albion should have bigger fish to fry.

Think this thread is just sturring it a bit, In the 90's when Phallis started a campaign to drop us as rivals as some no doubt thought they had 'bigger fish to fry' they made themselves look bigger bellends than usual, Pompey are a joke, Southampton, I do dislike them but they're irrelevent, "loveable" Crawley are just an irritant. I hate Palace with a passion and that passion is matched by my love for The Albion, the two go together IMO. Did the rivalry between Blackburn and Burnley fade during the 80s/90s? when during the same ten year spell one won the Premiershit, the other was one match from the Conference. What about Celtic and Rangers? (ok, shit example but you see my point?)

NB when I use the term 'hate' I refer to the whole caboodle regarding that blue and red shite, one of my best mates supports the scum and i'd take a bullet for him!

the silurian

Sep 29, 2011
Without getting into a dick waving contest, i'd love to know why you think we are going to have a spell in the lower leagues? It just seems like wishful thinking on your part more than anything. We have a decent young manager, a team that will be mid table at worst this year, highly valued youngsters with real quailty like Zaha, Williams and Allasani who are all on long term deals, if they do get sold we will get large fees, we have a brilliant board for once that is running us sensibley and within a competitive budget, we have plans to redevelop the stadium, the acdaemy is one of the best in the England and the fan base should start to rise again shortly if the football and results continues in the same vein as it has done in the last month. I really think you should take off those BHAFC rose tinted specs Major old boy...

Mate, you are wasting your time, they only see blue and white here. So they finished above Palace once in 25 years, let them have their fun for a
while,, it won't last long.. check out today's scores and the moaning about the ref, the linos, Dobbin up front not being good enough etc etc etc
No cms no goals!! Murray however is on a fine run of scoring, and before you say penalties, don't pretend you don't count penalties, cms would be happy to take them

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
My word haven't some of you guys become extremely arrogant in such a very short amount of time? last I checked you were only 3 points ahead of us having lost your previous match at home. Now, I realise that could easily extend to 6 points by tomorrow night as we have a tough away game against Wolves and you have a fairly straight forward game against Ipswich but crowing about how you're so on the up and we're on a downward spiral after 8 games is incredibly premature. Lets bare in mind that we've been at least one league above you for 30 years until last year and even then finished only 7 points below you at a time when you had spent the entire time telling us you were going up. Tha same season we managed to make the semi final of a cup competition, beat Man United (who were fielding 9 internationals before anyone calls them a reserve side) at Old trafford, beat Millwall at the Den and beat someone else in their brand new shiny stadium that after the 3rd goal went in was empty apart from us. Now who could that be?

Personally, I'd imagine that you'll do OK this season, could end up even in the playoffs but to be calling yourself the 'bigger side' and 'too big for Palace' shows a severe lack of knowledge of your last 30 years. Good luck for the rest of the season, see you on December 1st and again on 17th march and lets see if you are still as arrogant at that stage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
blah blah drone bore blah

Personally, I'd imagine that you'll do OK this season, could end up even in the playoffs but to be calling yourself the 'bigger side' and 'too big for Palace' shows a severe lack of knowledge of your last 30 years. Good luck for the rest of the season, see you on December 1st and again on 17th march and lets see if you are still as arrogant at that stage.
Have you bothered reading the thread? There are only about three posters who offered that view. Everyone else has said it is laughable.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Have you bothered reading the thread? There are only about three posters who offered that view. Everyone else has said it is laughable.

I think you'll find I very clearly stated 'some of you guys'. Perhaps, a full and thorough attempt to read a post before entering into keyboard warrior mode might help you from looking inept in future.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you'll find I very clearly stated 'some of you guys'. Perhaps, a full and thorough attempt to read a post before entering into keyboard warrior mode might help you from looking inept in future.
I did actually read your post, and concluded that bothering to write what amounted to a lecture before criticising "some of you guys" (i.e. three people) made you look a little precious and drippy.

For the number of people you are directing your whine at, you may as well have used the PM facility. HTH.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
It wasn't just 3 people it was also going out to the additional 7 people who were erroneously claiming that Brighton were on the up and Palace were on a downward spiral. Now i suppose I could have pmed said ten people but it would have seemed largely a waste of time when I suspect the responses that I would have received would be fairly colourful and there is a wonderful forum facility available right here for me to make use of and post my opinion. Put the keyboard down feller :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It wasn't just 3 people it was also going out to the additional 7 people who were erroneously claiming that Brighton were on the up and Palace were on a downward spiral. Now i suppose I could have pmed said ten people but it would have seemed largely a waste of time when I suspect the responses that I would have received would be fairly colourful and there is a wonderful forum facility available right here for me to make use of and post my opinion. Put the keyboard down feller :)
There's nothing 'erroneous' about us claiming that we're on the up - I'm guessing you do know our recent history. And you're not in the Premier League any more, ergo you have 'declined' and now we've met in the middle. Yes, it IS premature for us to be claiming that we've permanently eclipsed you - but then as has been pointed out only a tiny proportion of Brighton fans think that anyway and you could have saved yourself the rant.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

to be fair, when the misguided fool (OP) made the post, palace were actually on a slide having not won a game yet. Personally i think it is pointless(sic) looking at a league table until 10 games in as that tends to be when it has seetled down and new players bedded in etc etc.

I tend to agree with teh Birmingham fan I think it was who said that there are no Southampton, west ham, type teams in the championship this year and actually it will end up quite close.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Are Palace on a downward spiral? It seems to me that they are doing pretty well at the same level as us without the excesses of the past. We are free of the constraints of the Archer/Bellotti era finally and so we are on a level playing field. Their more myopic of delusionists will struggle to acknowledge that the recent past effectively ended us a force able to compete any higher than League One but they better get used to the fact that those days are behind us. I am sure we can grudgingly admit that their start to the season has been pretty impressive results wise. The end of the rivalry? Very much the opposite I believe. It is back and more meaningful than for many a year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am well aware of the way they cheated there way to the prem, but still you cant ever change who your main rivals are! it will always be palace no matter what league they or we are in!

We have. In the grand scheme of things they haven't been our rivals for most of the time we've existed.

Nathaniel10

Sep 27, 2012
To be fair in terms of recent rivalry there hasnt really been one as Palace have been playing in higher divisions than BHA for the best part of 30 years, its a fact. If you dont play each other then the rivalry does seem to cool off a little. Now we are back in the same division the spark has been reignited and it is brilliant for both sets of supporters to look forward to the games.

I am a Palace fan and being in my mid 30s fortunatley have not had to suffer to many defeats to BHA so am grateful for that although as your man says in a previous thread apparently you had the edge on us back in the 20s (not sure how relevant that is). I suppose taking the 4 points from you gave us the bragging rights for last season but thats gone now (although the record books will always show the 1-3 as your 1st league defeat at the American Express).

There does seem to be an air of arrogance coming from the South Coast and although I agree you are a club on the up you would have thought that you would have the title wrapped up by January and that we were doomed for relegation. Football has a habit of kicking you in the nuts and now we find ourselves just 1 point behind you and funnily enough the cheap shots on the Palace forums have quietened. Personally I think you boys will be up there challenging and from a Palace perspective I will be looking downwards rather than up for a while.

The other thing I find a bit strange is that you bang on about is the stadium and the swing in attendances. I never really understood what having a new stadium represents except its new and modern. It looks terrific and modern but personally and this is my honest opinion I will be gutted if we have to vacate Selhurst, it is our home and where I grew up watching Palace since a boy and where I have started to take my 5 year old. I have been to a few of these new shiny stadia and they are all so similar and have zero character or atmosphere. Darlington have a new 25k capacity stadium and now sit in the 9th tier of English football so it does not bring any guarentees, its just a place to play football.

BHA are currently the better supported team on average gates but this should not really be a surprise. Brighton has quite a large population and there is no real competition or alternative. It is also well documented that having the student campus on the doorstep has definitely played a part in the upsurge of support, with this type of supporter I am sure that they most probably have a main team who they support and watch BHA whilst they stay away - and why not. Palace will always struggle to average anything above 15k whilst in the Championship, the competition for teams in London is fierce with 6 London sides in the Prem and then we have Charlton and Millwall on our doorsteps. I pick my boy up from school and all you can see are Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd bags, scarves etc, recruiting new support is tough.

Anyway you get the gist of this, from a Palace perspective you have been off the radar for the best part of a quarter of a century and my point is I suppose that you will need a lengthy period of time in a higher division or I suppose at least start with taking 3 points from us at some point. Good Luck!

To be fair in terms of recent rivalry there hasnt really been one as Palace have been playing in higher divisions than BHA for the best part of 30 years, its a fact. If you dont play each other then the rivalry does seem to cool off a little. Now we are back in the same division the spark has been reignited and it is brilliant for both sets of supporters to look forward to the games.

I am a Palace fan and being in my mid 30s fortunatley have not had to suffer to many defeats to BHA so am grateful for that although as your man says in a previous thread apparently you had the edge on us back in the 20s (not sure how relevant that is). I suppose taking the 4 points from you gave us the bragging rights for last season but thats gone now (although the record books will always show the 1-3 as your 1st league defeat at the American Express).

There does seem to be an air of arrogance coming from the South Coast and although I agree you are a club on the up you would have thought that you would have the title wrapped up by January and that we were doomed for relegation. Football has a habit of kicking you in the nuts and now we find ourselves just 1 point behind you and funnily enough the cheap shots on the Palace forums have quietened. Personally I think you boys will be up there challenging and from a Palace perspective I will be looking downwards rather than up for a while.

The other thing I find a bit strange is that you bang on about is the stadium and the swing in attendances. I never really understood what having a new stadium represents except its new and modern. It looks terrific and modern but personally and this is my honest opinion I will be gutted if we have to vacate Selhurst, it is our home and where I grew up watching Palace since a boy and where I have started to take my 5 year old. I have been to a few of these new shiny stadia and they are all so similar and have zero character or atmosphere. Darlington have a new 25k capacity stadium and now sit in the 9th tier of English football so it does not bring any guarentees, its just a place to play football.

BHA are currently the better supported team on average gates but this should not really be a surprise. Brighton has quite a large population and there is no real competition or alternative. It is also well documented that having the student campus on the doorstep has definitely played a part in the upsurge of support, with this type of supporter I am sure that they most probably have a main team who they support and watch BHA whilst they stay away - and why not. Palace will always struggle to average anything above 15k whilst in the Championship, the competition for teams in London is fierce with 6 London sides in the Prem and then we have Charlton and Millwall on our doorsteps. I pick my boy up from school and all you can see are Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd bags, scarves etc, recruiting new support is tough.

Anyway you get the gist of this, from a Palace perspective you have been off the radar for the best part of a quarter of a century and my point is I suppose that you will need a lengthy period of time in a higher division or I suppose at least start with taking 3 points from us at some point. Good Luck!

good post sir:hilton: spot on:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here