Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigger fish to fry than palace?

Feb 14, 2010
I think the point of this thread has been lost. Its not a go at palace, its trying to ask people to predict the future. Many of us are not surprised by the Albion's rise as some of us knew the size of the support for what is a regional club, even when standing on the terrace at Hereford. The question is how far will Bloom take it? Stoke get about 15,000 more than Port Vale and Brighton currently get about 10,000 more than palace. That will be 15000 as capacity rises and if the albion reach the top flight. That was the reason for the analogy. That is not to say the rivalry will go, not at all. Its a thread about how far Bloom can can this club?

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011
I think the point of this thread has been lost. Its not a go at palace, its trying to ask people to predict the future. Many of us are not surprised by the Albion's rise as some of us knew the size of the support for what is a regional club, even when standing on the terrace at Hereford. The question is how far will Bloom take it? Stoke get about 15,000 more than Port Vale and Brighton currently get about 10,000 more than palace. That will be 15000 as capacity rises and if the albion reach the top flight. That was the reason for the analogy. That is not to say the rivalry will go, not at all. Its a thread about how far Bloom can can this club?

Let's be 100% honest, you're back-tracking now after a shit response to your thread. It was arrogant and antagonistic and was prob written to rile the Palace posters on this site more than anything. Good then to see that most Albion fans can see through this thread and find it embarrassing. Obviously you've got the odd ally like 'TheMajor' but his opinion isn't worth the keyboard it's written on, you can just tell he has such an inferiority complex just by looking at his sig.

This thread looks even more stupid in hindsight given the recent results. And lets be honest, if we'd signed Blake, Delaney, Moritz, Belasie & Goodwillie a few weeks earlier and didn't have Williams and Murray injured for the first 3 league games (our only defeats so far) it's pretty fair to assume we'd be above you. As it is, we are 1 point behind you having had a far tougher start on paper.

Until you actually establish yourselves a league higher than us then we are pretty much on an even slant. Football is played on the pitch and not off it so as nice as your shiny new stadium that gets packed with plastic fans is, you've got to do it on the pitch a lot better than us for years before you can truly justify a thread like this one.

Last edited:

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
This thread looks even more stupid in hindsight given the recent results. And lets be honest, if we'd signed Blake, Delaney, Moritz, Belasie & Goodwillie a few weeks earlier and didn't have Williams and Murray injured for the first 3 league games (our only defeats do far) it's pretty fair to assume we'd be above you. As it is, we are 1 point behind you having had a far tougher start on paper.

If we had started the season with the squad we have now, we'd be comfortably top of the table. After 7 games with the squad we have now, no team has outplayed us.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
The first team to beat Brighton at the Amex in a league game was crystal palace ,now in the history books forever
That's why we're never be small fry when you have already started thinking about our 2 games this season you want revenge for the pain that's why palace will always be important as Brighton are to palace

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If we had started the season with the squad we have now, we'd be comfortably top of the table. After 7 games with the squad we have now, no team has outplayed us.

If we had CMS, crofts and Bruno fit for last two games we would be top by 4 points

Oh but they were not fit and we did not win......... bit silly this IF game isn't it

Feb 14, 2010
The first team to beat Brighton at the Amex in a league game was crystal palace ,now in the history books forever
That's why we're never be small fry when you have already started thinking about our 2 games this season you want revenge for the pain that's why palace will always be important as Brighton are to palace

I agree with all of this (although the first team to win at The Amex is for me more ironic and funny than anything else). But again that is not the point of the thread. Its how far Bloom can take the Albion. The rivalry will survive but its not arrogant to say the Albion have a natural advantage over palace and as a regional club under Bloom could well in the future establish itself in the top flight and have bigger fish than palace to fry. That does not make the games when they happen any less important. Another analogy instead of Stoke v Vale would be Arsenal v Spurs a few years ago. Arsenal games with Man U were bigger games as Arsenal were competing for the league.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Saturday 1 December
English Npower Championship
15:00
Crystal Palace v. Brighton and Hove Albion

Sunday 17 March
12:00
Brighton and Hove Albion v. Crystal Palace

I think these might both be tense affairs.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think the point's been lost at all. You asked a question "Bigger fish to fry than Palace?", and the overwhelming answer is "No, not even if we do end up in a higher division for the next thirty years." (And that includes people like me saying that). In terms of matches, yes obviously there may be bigger individual ones in the future where a Brighton win may mean Champions' League qualification rather than just local bragging rights, so maybe you just phrased the question wrong?

And since you started this thread they've got closer and closer to us, so perhaps now is a good time to ask Bozza to lock it before they overtake us!

Last edited:

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Saturday 1 December
15:00
Crystal Palace v. Brighton and Hove Albion

Sunday 17 March
12:00
Brighton and Hove Albion v. Crystal Palace

I think these might both be tense affairs.
And whatever happens, I can't wait :) I love the fact we are playing each other again.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you've got a bigger willy then wave it .

Look at the size of my signature !

The problem with your willy waving Major is that we have not beaten them at home since the 80's, so it looks as if you are clutching at straws.

The problem with your willy waving Major is that we have not beaten them at home since the 80's, so it looks as if you are clutching at straws.

You're either with us or against us El - seems you are against us ?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
If we had CMS, crofts and Bruno fit for last two games we would be top by 4 points

Oh but they were not fit and we did not win......... bit silly this IF game isn't it

it is so just stop it !

Eagle_83

Premier League visitor
Jun 8, 2011

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You're either with us or against us El - seems you are against us ?

Seems like most people see through you phallus , your just a one trick pony and a pony one at that .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I agree with all of this (although the first team to win at The Amex is for me more ironic and funny than anything else). But again that is not the point of the thread. Its how far Bloom can take the Albion. The rivalry will survive but its not arrogant to say the Albion have a natural advantage over palace and as a regional club under Bloom could well in the future establish itself in the top flight and have bigger fish than palace to fry. That does not make the games when they happen any less important. Another analogy instead of Stoke v Vale would be Arsenal v Spurs a few years ago. Arsenal games with Man U were bigger games as Arsenal were competing for the league.

Even if in our wildest dreams we become as big as Man u (for example) i am pretty sure palace would still be our rivals...

As mentioned before... We were still there rivals when they were in the prem and we were league one (maybe 2) we were bottom of the football league and they didnt ditch us...

Working class pride i do believe you are in a fairy tale anyway, you have been caught up way to much in this 5 wins on the trot and being top of the table... I think the best Brighton could realistically hope for is a consistant mid prem status e.g. Stoke (but playing better footy) It is highly unlikely unless Bloom puts all his cash on zero at the roulette that Brighton will be competing with the champions league placed teams.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh gawd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here