Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Oh man. What horrible news.

No more calls for a Trescothick recall. No more "How do I put GOSBTS on a ten year old iPod?". No more ridiculous transfer rumours that "my son read in a paper". No more "Kayal is Championship standard at best".

And so much more as he had an opinion on EVERYTHING.

BG was a one off. Generally wrong, always obstinate (his tech threads were truly hilarious as he would get the correct advice and then argue about it) but also always polite and took everything like water off a duck's back.

Genuinely in tears reading this. But the thread is a fabulous tribute to the man.

I didn't even cry when Prince died but this has really got me. As others have said, this place will never be the same.

Best wishes to those close to him. We will all miss him too.

RIP big man.

Sent from my Omsung Phone 12 Max

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And I made an unintentional typo on the sig. I bet he had a hand in that and is chuckling......

Sent from my Omsung Phone 12 Max

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, memories and condolences. I can assure you all this means a lot to his wife, Linda, his sons, myself and all his extended family. To answer a couple of questions asked, Brian attended all home games up to Villa, missing that one and Watford. This was due to his COPD and breathing difficulties, which didn't stop him being in fine form still posting on Sunday night. Sadly, on Monday he suffered a massive heart attack, emergency responders were with him within minutes and I cannot express my gratitude enough for their efforts, but alas it was not to be. Brian took me to my first game at home to Aldershot in March 1965, as soon as his 3 boys were able to walk he took them. This carried on with grandchildren, most famously Ben. I do hope the club listens to Ian's request that a recognition is made on the 76th minute to celebrate a man whose love was his wife and family, but his passion was BHA. Many people would not know Brian but if you attended away games through the 60s to the 2000s you would recognise a familiar face. Finally, it has been asked if a donation can be made in the name of Brian, it is early days but when his funeral arrangements have been made a worthwhile charity close to his heart will be announced. Once again, thank you all so much, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the update, appreciate this is tough time for you all - this thread is a fantastic tribute, hope the family get the time to read the genuine messages of love for the old fella.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - worth prompting an insider re the 76th minute request ? I for one shall be standing and applauding (perhaps whilst trying to log on the club's wifi using the wrong password, to post on here about how Webster hasn't been good enough).

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I didn't know BG, but it feels like one of the family are gone today. Terribly sad news. I never had any particular problem with him tbh, even though things could get rather "odd" on here shall we say!
Im sure we will all agree that, despite some "discussions" on here with others, he got to see his beloved club play through possibly the greatest period of time the Seagulls have ever had - #together with his whole group of Albion & NSC friends.
Condolences to his family....RIP Brian.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
RIP BG. Condolences to his family and friends. :down: ~
It feels a bit strange to be upset about someone passing that I have never met, I'll miss his tech threads that's for sure.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I didn't know BG, but it feels like one of the family are gone today. Terribly sad news. I never had any particular problem with him tbh, even though things could get rather "odd" on here shall we say!
Im sure we will all agree that, despite some "discussions" on here with others, he got to see his beloved club play through possibly the greatest period of time the Seagulls have ever had - #together with his whole group of Albion & NSC friends.
Condolences to his family....RIP Brian.

But that's what makes NSC so rich, we've got leavers, remainers, Thatcherites and Trotsky's, old schoolers and next Gen's, an eclectic and diverse range of polar opposites all bound together by our single love of BHAFC and an emotional camaraderie of the highs and lows in supporting this amazing football club through the years

BG was very much part of that eclectic, opinionated BHA loving tapestry. Wouldn't agree with a lot of his opinions. But he was one of us.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So sudden ...
Another NSC committee member gone - he will be missed for sure, with his controversial views - my fav BG thread being the long bus ride to save a few bob on a steak.
He'll still be watching and cheering from above, of that I am sure ....
So long BG!

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, memories and condolences. I can assure you all this means a lot to his wife, Linda, his sons, myself and all his extended family. To answer a couple of questions asked, Brian attended all home games up to Villa, missing that one and Watford. This was due to his COPD and breathing difficulties, which didn't stop him being in fine form still posting on Sunday night. Sadly, on Monday he suffered a massive heart attack, emergency responders were with him within minutes and I cannot express my gratitude enough for their efforts, but alas it was not to be. Brian took me to my first game at home to Aldershot in March 1965, as soon as his 3 boys were able to walk he took them. This carried on with grandchildren, most famously Ben. I do hope the club listens to Ian's request that a recognition is made on the 76th minute to celebrate a man whose love was his wife and family, but his passion was BHA. Many people would not know Brian but if you attended away games through the 60s to the 2000s you would recognise a familiar face. Finally, it has been asked if a donation can be made in the name of Brian, it is early days but when his funeral arrangements have been made a worthwhile charity close to his heart will be announced. Once again, thank you all so much, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the information, Although never met BG being of similar age, reading his posts made me feel like I new him.
Very sad news and a big shock. R.I.P

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So sudden ...
Another NSC committee member gone - he will be missed for sure, with his controversial views - my fav BG thread being the long bus ride to save a few bob on a steak.
He'll still be watching and cheering from above, of that I am sure ....
So long BG!

With respect, I reckon Lord Bracknell is going to get a shed load of PM's from BG :)

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Sad sad news, I read NSC everyday for the news and celebrity gossip as well as IT advice and sports. I found Ben's Grandad to be on almost every thread I chose to read.

I have been moved by the comments on here and that a lot of members have posted. Proves that NSC is full of softies.

RIP

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Oh ffs. Another one bites the dust. RIP. Life is short. Enjoy yourself.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wouldn't it be wonderful and fitting for Ben's Grandad to win BHAFC fan of the year ? Let's make this happen

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here