Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I don't think I ever agreed with anything BG ever said but I agree with everything said here. NSC will be the worse off without him. Condolences to all his friends and family.

Pretty much word for word what I was going to write.

RIP BG. All the best to all his family and friends.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
So sorry to hear of demise of BG, I will miss his sometimes controversial, but always entertaining posts. May he Rest In Peace in the footballing heaven where we will always beat Palace 😪😪⚽⚽

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, memories and condolences. I can assure you all this means a lot to his wife, Linda, his sons, myself and all his extended family. To answer a couple of questions asked, Brian attended all home games up to Villa, missing that one and Watford. This was due to his COPD and breathing difficulties, which didn't stop him being in fine form still posting on Sunday night. Sadly, on Monday he suffered a massive heart attack, emergency responders were with him within minutes and I cannot express my gratitude enough for their efforts, but alas it was not to be. Brian took me to my first game at home to Aldershot in March 1965, as soon as his 3 boys were able to walk he took them. This carried on with grandchildren, most famously Ben. I do hope the club listens to Ian's request that a recognition is made on the 76th minute to celebrate a man whose love was his wife and family, but his passion was BHA. Many people would not know Brian but if you attended away games through the 60s to the 2000s you would recognise a familiar face. Finally, it has been asked if a donation can be made in the name of Brian, it is early days but when his funeral arrangements have been made a worthwhile charity close to his heart will be announced. Once again, thank you all so much, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for posting this and once again we are are all genuinely sad and thinking of his friends and family x

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
But that's what makes NSC so rich, we've got leavers, remainers, Thatcherites and Trotsky's, old schoolers and next Gen's, an eclectic and diverse range of polar opposites all bound together by our single love of BHAFC and an emotional camaraderie of the highs and lows in supporting this amazing football club through the years

BG was very much part of that eclectic, opinionated BHA loving tapestry. Wouldn't agree with a lot of his opinions. But he was one of us.

Really poignant and moving post PW; I said exactly this to my son recently. Despite the differences that may separate us in life, the Albion binds us all, regardless of all else. BG was very much part of that “BHA glue” and NSC and the Amex will be all the poorer for his absence. Seldom can a poster on an internet forum have created such an impression on such a wide range of people but you’ve nailed it in your post. We’re all "Brighton ‘til we die", and moments like this make us realise that we often have more in common than that which divides us. RIP BG:ascarf:.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Really sad news. I rarely agreed with what he said but to his great credit he always came back for more. Such a range of views and personalities is what makes this forum so interesting and why I value it so much. The one that binds us all above anything else is our love of the Albion and BG has loads of that. RIP.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Apologies, I have been away for a few days and only logged in just now to this sad news.

I was a BG fanboy and loved how he got under the skin of so many whether intentionally or otherwise.

I have lost count of the number of times I have read an OP or response in a thread and had to look to the left of my screen to check if it was one of his many memorable posts here...

RIP and my condolences to all BG's family, friends and the wider Albion community.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed here as well.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Only just seen this, So very sad. RIP BG, a legendary man. I will miss him on here :(

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I keep expecting a BG post to pop up saying “only joking..now about that left back”.
His Barmey posts epitomised the weird and wonderful world that is NSC.
It is hard to imagine NSC without him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
R.I.P, This board will never be the same.

It is a poorer place without him that’s for sure but let’s hope he has inspired a new breed of barmpot..

And I mean that with a great deal of affection

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Really upset when I found out. I may know him by sight, otherwise only by reading his posts. I could never work out whether he was a comedy genius, or genuinely a clueless old bugger like myself. Regardless, even if on the wrong end of some serious flack, his responses would never contain any vitriol, just gentle humour at worst. The tributes on here are befitting of a man who loved the Albion, loved NSC, and prove what great entertainment he provided us all with, whether he knew it or not. There's nothing more I can add that hasn't been said already by others.
RIP BG.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, memories and condolences. I can assure you all this means a lot to his wife, Linda, his sons, myself and all his extended family. To answer a couple of questions asked, Brian attended all home games up to Villa, missing that one and Watford. This was due to his COPD and breathing difficulties, which didn't stop him being in fine form still posting on Sunday night. Sadly, on Monday he suffered a massive heart attack, emergency responders were with him within minutes and I cannot express my gratitude enough for their efforts, but alas it was not to be. Brian took me to my first game at home to Aldershot in March 1965, as soon as his 3 boys were able to walk he took them. This carried on with grandchildren, most famously Ben. I do hope the club listens to Ian's request that a recognition is made on the 76th minute to celebrate a man whose love was his wife and family, but his passion was BHA. Many people would not know Brian but if you attended away games through the 60s to the 2000s you would recognise a familiar face. Finally, it has been asked if a donation can be made in the name of Brian, it is early days but when his funeral arrangements have been made a worthwhile charity close to his heart will be announced. Once again, thank you all so much, your comments are greatly appreciated.

My sincere condolences to you all. So the last Brighton goal BG saw was Jahanbakhsh's overhead? Thats certainly something to take with you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh man. What horrible news.

No more calls for a Trescothick recall. No more "How do I put GOSBTS on a ten year old iPod?". No more ridiculous transfer rumours that "my son read in a paper". No more "Kayal is Championship standard at best".

And so much more as he had an opinion on EVERYTHING.

BG was a one off. Generally wrong, always obstinate (his tech threads were truly hilarious as he would get the correct advice and then argue about it) but also always polite and took everything like water off a duck's back.

Genuinely in tears reading this. But the thread is a fabulous tribute to the man.

I didn't even cry when Prince died but this has really got me. As others have said, this place will never be the same.

Best wishes to those close to him. We will all miss him too.

RIP big man.

Sent from my Omsung Phone 12 Max

Beautiful post, and sums up my feelings. You've set me off again, on a day when I've had my own personal body-blow.
Its been a really strange, unpleasant day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here