Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
I've only been part of NSC for a little over a year, but I understand how important BG meant to the forum.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The irony being the extent to how many here are now beginning to realise just how much BensGrandad meant, on hearing that there are going to be no further contributions from his 'unique' mind to NSC.

I'd been barely aware of my growing affection for BG & all his work on NSC, over the years, but it has certainly compounded the shock of hearing this terrible news today.

Sincere condolences to all family & friends of BG, perhaps especially Ben.

RIP. x

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I stuck up for the old fella on a couple of occasions, but a few minutes later wondered why, as he always seemed in control.....

I reckon he had us all over at times, with a twinkle in the eye, and a chuckle.

As so many have alluded to, I really will miss his stuff on here.

At times knowledgeable, other times maybe not so, and other times, well, he was just actually being himself, our very own beloved BG.

Like all of us, I'm going to miss him, big time. xx Rip BG xx

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Part of the NSC furniture. RIP BG.

adj

Apr 18, 2008
You can see from my NSC join date that I have been the very opposite of BG, zero posts against the ever presence of BG.

Nonetheless, I visit NSC pretty much every day, lurking without intent. BG was always there. BG will always be there.

Sometimes respect is due. In this case respect is certainly very much due.

Enjoy the next stage of the journey BG.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Beautiful post, and sums up my feelings. You've set me off again, on a day when I've had my own personal body-blow.
Its been a really strange, unpleasant day.

Sorry to hear this, as with many on here I'm sure, I'm here if you want to DM. Let's hope a new dawn has helped and today is better than yesterday?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Part of the NSC furniture. RIP BG.

BG was like an appendix body part.

An appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. It's a common emergency surgery that's performed to treat appendicitis, an inflammatory condition of the appendix. The appendix is a small, tube-shaped pouch attached to your large intestine. It's located in the lower right side of your abdomen.

He put a lot of shite on this message board, he knew what he was doing, sometimes he became inflamed and irritated the whole body. In the end the body can exist without the appendix but his irritation will be missed.

Rest in peace, old soul!

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Farewell BG, you will definitely be missed. A couple of years ago I got into a long argument over the merits of Sky v Virgin I seem to recall. Still not sure which side of the fence he was!

But as others have said, he took a lot of flack for his strong views on issues but rarely crossed the line into basic insults. A lesson for us all.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I found the funniest thing was that you would enter a discussion with BG; this would then turn into a semi-argument.
The nonsense he'd then come up with (in the nicest possible way) was so convoluted and confusing that I'd end up
wondering what I had started arguing about in the first place. :)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
After having read through many of these tributes, I guess he wasn't just Bens Grandad, He was like a grandad to all of us.

I don't think this forum will ever quite be the same again.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
After having read through many of these tributes, I guess he wasn't just Bens Grandad, He was like a grandad to all of us.

I don't think this forum will ever quite be the same again.

yep , that's how i think of him as a friendly chap smiling warmly at his screen , occasionally tutting and shaking his head when the more learned posters were giving him a piece of their mind.....he never swore or got aggro......he'll be missed , bless him and again R.I.P.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like the fact most have different attributes and/or posts they like. That’s quite special and I’ve chuckled as I’ve been reminded about lengthy bus journeys to save a quid on a steak, parking tickets in the West Country, wondering by his phone charges quicker upstairs etc. Others have spoken about his calmness, comfort with who he is etc. For balance he also drove us nuts at times....but in a nice-ish kind of way. In one way or another he has seemingly touched us all.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What terribly sad news. As others have said, I’ve never felt compelled to contribute to threads like this for others who have died that I didn’t know personally (not even LB) but something has really got me about the passing of BG.

I wonder how many years it will be until someone matches his post count (please don’t tell me anyone is even close). Even with that huge output, there was substance and humour throughout and never a cross word.

Time for TTF’s monicker, surely. TWNBA.

RIP Brian.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is turning into one of the greatest threads on NSC, IMO. In the nicest possible way, I've never known a thread about someone's passing to be quite as entertaining!

I'd like to think he'll be asking someone for a stream on Saturday up there – and then getting infuriated when he can't make it work :lol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is turning into one of the greatest threads on NSC, IMO. In the nicest possible way, I've never known a thread about someone's passing to be quite as entertaining!

I mentioned to someone in a PM last night how BGs passing and this thread seems to have brought out the best in us all and brought everybody together for once.

Not just a few of us or some of us, but virtually all the regular names plus the not so frequent posters too. There have even been long time lurkers who've never or hardly ever posted before contributing. And all the contributions, whilst different in their own way, share a universal sense of sadness, fondness and deep respect for a friend lost - even though the vast majority (myself included) never even met BG.

What a remarkable tribute to a remarkable member of NSC this thread has become. Gone but never to be forgotten. I really miss him :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here