Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Ben's Grandad Has Passed Away

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I am so shocked and sad to read this! RIP Brian. You will be missed on this forum; I enjoyed your regular posts.

I had just established email contact to help Brian with a parking charge, which is unimportant in the scheme of things but it was certainly worrying him and Lyn, and I am very sad to read Brian has gone so suddenly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I returned from holiday yesterday, turned on my computer this morning, to receive this terrible piece of news.

I was honoured to know Brian personally, not just through his many posts on here. We met many times, pre-match meals in Fillets on London Road, and shared many chats, (and downed many pints) at the Hare & Hounds in my village. He was a controversial figure that's for sure, never short of an opinion or three, but misunderstood by many people on here who didn't know the real Brian.

An old fashioned family man is what Brian was, interesting to talk to, and a real gentleman. He will be sorely missed by his wife Lyn and family..

I'll miss you mate that's for sure, (said with a very heavy heart).

I always thought he came across as a gentle, harmless, knowledgeable soul, who'd led an long and interesting life following the Albion & other sport. Passionate about his county. Not afraid to say an opinion swimming against the trendy tide, that didn't make him wrong whatsoever (he said what many think), I liked giving @BG thumbsups when his view on politics or sport accorded with my own.

Thank you for the insight.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
His controversial and often quite crazy views on things have left a long lasting mark on here, a true legend in the north stand chat realm. RIP BG, best wishes to all family and friends.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It is with great sadness that I have to announce my brother Brian Lisher, known to all as Ben's Grandad, passed away earlier today. Due to his number of posts and often controversial views I doubt if there is anyone on NSC who didn't know him. Brian always had an opinion, very often tongue in cheek, and never failed to get a reaction. He enjoyed the banter and would always give as good as he got. Despite some comments he never took anything personally and in return he never took a real dislike to anyone on here. Ian is arranging the funeral, I'm sure he will post information when it is available for people to pay their last respects. A fitting memory to Brian would be three points on Saturday and another season in the top flight.

bloody hell....that is a rather large shock ....straight up .....R.I.P BG .....:down::down:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Spent far too many a train journey to Brighton discussing whether BG was real or not with my dad.
You'll be sorely missed BG.

Sent from my Omsung Phine using another new laptop

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Only just seen the news and I'm not surprised at the outpouring of love for the great man. But man, what a shock!

I think he was the first NSCer I met, when I answered his plea for a USB stick. It was nothing to me – I had loads of them – but he was so appreciative that I would take the time to drop it off to him in HH as I was passing.

Like most on here, there were posts of his I didn't agree with, but I also had the utmost respect for a guy who stuck to his opinions and clearly loved everything BHAFC.

RIP BG, condolences to the family. A sad day in NSC history..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So many uplifting tributes on this sad event :thumbsup:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Really sad news. I loved BG's posts. Never knew him, but he's was a breath of fresh air in this world of keyboard warriors and snowflakes. Felt like the most genuine person on the whole site.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
A real NSC legend, I'll miss his contributions, RIP BG.

Condolences to his family and friends x

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It is with great sadness that I have to announce my brother Brian Lisher, known to all as Ben's Grandad, passed away earlier today. Due to his number of posts and often controversial views I doubt if there is anyone on NSC who didn't know him. Brian always had an opinion, very often tongue in cheek, and never failed to get a reaction. He enjoyed the banter and would always give as good as he got. Despite some comments he never took anything personally and in return he never took a real dislike to anyone on here. Ian is arranging the funeral, I'm sure he will post information when it is available for people to pay their last respects. A fitting memory to Brian would be three points on Saturday and another season in the top flight.

Sad to hear this. I met him for a beer a few years ago when he came to Cyprus for a holiday.

Thoroughly pleasant bloke in real life.

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester

Such sad news, i send my heart felt condolences to his family and loved ones.

RIP BG

A great contributior to NSC and he will be missed.

Having not read first the past few post on this thread, it would be nice if we could remember him in some way on Saturday.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, memories and condolences. I can assure you all this means a lot to his wife, Linda, his sons, myself and all his extended family. To answer a couple of questions asked, Brian attended all home games up to Villa, missing that one and Watford. This was due to his COPD and breathing difficulties, which didn't stop him being in fine form still posting on Sunday night. Sadly, on Monday he suffered a massive heart attack, emergency responders were with him within minutes and I cannot express my gratitude enough for their efforts, but alas it was not to be. Brian took me to my first game at home to Aldershot in March 1965, as soon as his 3 boys were able to walk he took them. This carried on with grandchildren, most famously Ben. I do hope the club listens to Ian's request that a recognition is made on the 76th minute to celebrate a man whose love was his wife and family, but his passion was BHA. Many people would not know Brian but if you attended away games through the 60s to the 2000s you would recognise a familiar face. Finally, it has been asked if a donation can be made in the name of Brian, it is early days but when his funeral arrangements have been made a worthwhile charity close to his heart will be announced. Once again, thank you all so much, your comments are greatly appreciated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here