[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to that post he didn’t actually say it, just Leeds fans reading between the lines.

That post mentions he claimed there were a couple of offers turned down (as is normal in negotiations), but that the specifics (i.e. that it was a five year deal) was not what Phil said.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yeah I listened to the bit of the podcast referenced in the tweet and didn't hear it said.

Phil Hay's Athletic article also doesn't mentioned it.

So I think it's Sky just reporting twitter nonsense..

Even if it were true.. why would he sign a new deal now, knowing a club is in for him? Surely his agent would play the two clubs off against each other should an acceptable bid be made?

Sky Sources = that morning's tabloids.

I wonder if it has occurred to the Leeds fans on social media that all they are doing is ratcheting up their own sense of desperation, offering further evidence of why we'd be mad to sell White (especially to Leeds) and increasing the asking price for him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course it’s a debate. Leeds are not a bigger club NOW and I’m shocked to even hear this from an Albion fan.

They will be one of the most likely teams to go down next season, how’s that a bigger club?

And where are you getting your facts that Ben has turned down contracts btw?
Absolutely.

Leeds have been a bigger club than us in the past.

Not anymore.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
This is exactly what TB wanted from the academy. Players with big sell on that makes the club sustainable. Maybe even better if it’s from a player who has hardly spent any time on the pitch for us and unproven at this level.
But as a gambling man £30 million being mentioned seems to little. English players carry a premium at best of times. If stones went for 50 million all those years ago, maguire £70 million last summer then we are being short sighted if we cash in at earliest opportunity.
If he went this summer I would expect £30 million plus substantial add ons based on results and England caps ect as well as a hefty 25-30% sell on

Surely TB wants to get players from the academy in the first team squad first and foremost.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
#Tonysaysno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
£35 million to Liverpool or similar. £40 million to Leeds or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In retrospect taking everything into account , I think £30m with £5m of add ins is probably fair . He is a slight risk as never played at PL level but if clubs like Liverpool are seriously interested and scouted him several times last season according to reports , the risk I suspect is quite small that he won’t be good enough at PL level .

2 good season with Liverpool and he could be worth £60 million !

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Well, I'm really, really hoping BW ends up going to Liverpool because:

1 we don't need him
2 it would put Leeds supporters noses out of joint
3 if he went to Leeds, I would naturally be wishing he does badly, which isn't kind
4 it would be a huge endorsement for our academy
5 quids in

Best solution all round I reckon, and it would put this tedious thread to bed.

We don’t need him if we want to stay in the same position as we are now.
However, we we have aspirations of being top 10.........

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What grinds my gears here is this: in another thread people are seemingly willing to sell our captain and best defender (for around a decade), already an England player (ahem), under a long term contract for around £40 million... yet, Ben (costacurta) White is a guaranteed England legend, worth £50 million plus (today) ... seriously, wtf are people smoking? Dunk, lest we forget is at his physical peak.

I think his, likely stance, says more about the players we already have rather than the ‘size’ of Leeds... he’s a guaranteed starter for them, but he’s going to have to dislodge Dunky (hmmmm no chance) and a resurgent Webster... is he up for the fight? The rumours suggest maybe not...

He’s had one superb season in a shit championship, sure he could be (as Leeds reckon) the second coming BUT maybe, just maybe 16 seasons of relative shite have made him look better than he is?!?

Like I say, IF.he wants out, £30 million would be a tidy sum.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
What grinds my gears here is this: in another thread people are seemingly willing to sell our captain and best defender (for around a decade), already an England player (ahem), under a long term contract for around £40 million... yet, Ben (costacurta) White is a guaranteed England legend, worth £50 million plus (today) ... seriously, wtf are people smoking? Dunk, lest we forget is at his physical peak.

I think his, likely stance, says more about the players we already have rather than the ‘size’ of Leeds... he’s a guaranteed starter for them, but he’s going to have to dislodge Dunky (hmmmm no chance) and a resurgent Webster... is he up for the fight? The rumours suggest maybe not...

He’s had one superb season in a shit championship, sure he could be (as Leeds reckon) the second coming BUT maybe, just maybe 16 seasons of relative shite have made him look better than he is?!?

Like I say, IF.he wants out, £30 million would be a tidy sum.

He wouldn't have to dislodge Dunk or Webster if we play 3 at the back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports