Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2013

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not a good Sunday for New York baseball supporters. Yankees lost 3-0 against the Red Sox in a game shortened by some spectacular thunder and lightening, the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] loss in 8 games, and the Mets went back to their usual role of perennial under achievers losing 11-6 to the Marlins.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have been supporting the Albion for nearly 50 years so do you really think it's all about winning!!

Then the TWINS is YOUR team!

Damn straight !!

And wonder of wonders, as luck would have it, the freebie on Saturday was the Mariners at the Twins, with a 6pm GMT start. The barbecue was lit, the laptop was dragged outside, and for the 2nd time of watching them live I saw a walk-off win.

4-2 down, bottom of the 9th, they get it back to 4-3, and then Doumit CLOBBERS one to the outfield, and the requisite 2 runs are scrambled. And then they go and stuff the Mariners 10-0 last night. INSANE.

I bloody love the Twins.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Was at the Yankees game last night, brilliant experience, shame about the abrupt hault but they delayed the start by 50 mins and if they had started on time we would have got to see more probably would of got to at least the 8th.

The yankees stadium is great, but if people want to moan about amex prices then this place is something else. Prices fine for a one off but if you were to go regular I doubt you would ever endulge in a beer at all.

The game itself was pretty average and took a while to get going and then when it did the rain hit, however seeing a homerun in the flesh was pretty exciting, was a great hit.

The atmosphere, well there just isn't one baseball fans could learn a thing or two from football fans a singing section in the ground would add a lot in my opinion, although that's probably just me. Red sox and yankees fans sat side by side wasn't exactly polite, as they all seemed to be picked out and called ********s and got a good couple of minutes abuse.

The weather was 10 out of 10 though, great lighting bolts and the loudest thuderclap I have ever heard, shit up everyone around as it seemed to come from no where.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Get on the MLB website and watch the Dodgers giving the Demonbacks a good slapping.

The season is still young.Energy levels are rising at the Dodgers Stadium !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just tuned into the 2-1 up Nat'nals.

Bottom of the 4th, we're :lol: now 2-3.

Baseball really hates me.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Watching my A's vs Yankees on ESPN 2-2 bottom of 10 coming up, c'mon the A's!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now Top of the 14th still 2-2!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
17th. Oh boy! :ohmy::ohmy:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Saw 2 cubs games in 2 days and typically they lost both. Today I don't go and they win!

The 12-2 loss was particularly awful. Half the crowd left after the the 7th!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A's win 3-2 in the 18th, Freiman walk-off single off Rivera, Oakland sweeps the Yankees, Hafner / Youkilis / Wells / Teixera 0-28 today.

:banana::O:unclesam::rock::rave:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Get on the MLB website and watch the Dodgers giving the Demonbacks a good slapping.

The season is still young.Energy levels are rising at the Dodgers Stadium !

This would be the massively overpaid Dodgers who lie 8 and 1/2 games back of the Diamondbacks, and whose record against the Snakes this season is 2-7.

I think it's the Dodgers who are being slapped on the baseball field this season.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This would be the massively overpaid Dodgers who lie 8 and 1/2 games back of the Diamondbacks, and whose record against the Snakes this season is 2-7.

I think it's the Dodgers who are being slapped on the baseball field this season.

Results are merely the representation of mishaps occurring at the wrong time to the wrong team. Fundamentally the Dodgers are permanent champions allowing lesser mortals to bat a few in to ease their obvious inferiority to the champions of Chavez Ravine.

Otherwise you appear to be right, dammit.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
my second team, so can take it :)

Really? How can you square cheering for the biggest, most ridiculous, free-spending, over-spending franchise in MLB history and support Oakland, a small-market, fiscally constrained team that operates on one of the smallest annual budgets and payrolls?

The two clubs couldn't be further apart in their baseball philosophies.

Were you a big Reggie Jackson fan?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Really? How can you square cheering for the biggest, most ridiculous, free-spending, over-spending franchise in MLB history and support Oakland, a small-market, fiscally constrained team that operates on one of the smallest annual budgets and payrolls?

The two clubs couldn't be further apart in their baseball philosophies.

Were you a big Reggie Jackson fan?

:shrug: I know what you mean, guess the world turns in mysterious ways.

Started supporting the Yankees in 2009 because 90% of the ESPN games shown out here in South-east Asia are Yankees games. Part of the global reach of the evil empire I suppose. I didn't know anything about their history or their over-spending ways, but I decided I wanted to watch some baseball, chose the Yankees as my team, learnt about the game and all its nuances, and as a result I ended up watching a team consisting of Jeter, Teixeira, A-Rod, Matsui, Johnny Damon, Posada, Pettite, AJ Burnett, Sabathia, Rivera et al win the world series playing fantastic baseball. That really was a great team and I've always liked Joe Girardi as a manager who doesn't seem to possess the histrionics or narrow-minded thinking of so many of the other managers out there.

Obviously I've learnt more since, I know its the equivalent of supporting Man U but I'm going to stick to my team. I'm certainly not about to abandon any team that has Mariano Rivera on its roster (so next year maybe!), he's my baseball hero. This is however the first year I've started to learn about the other teams, and there's lots to admire, the RedSox with Pedroia and Ortiz are fun to watch and are almost certainly going to beat us to the AL-East title (and they better beat them Orioles), and of course the A's are great and play the game with a lot of fun, good team depth and a sparkling pitching rotation. I enjoyed Moneyball, and I'd be very happy if they could win the World Series (coz the Yankees certainly aren't going to this year).

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Good retort. I like your honesty and clarity of thought.

Mariano Rivera is, bar none, the single greatest baseball player of my lifetime. This includes Tony Gwynn, Roberto Alomar, Rod Carew, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, etc, etc, etc. The way he takes command of a baseball game is mesmerizing. Even more so that he does it with just one pitch. ONE PITCH! He has become the most dominant closer of any era (a hollow honour as specialty relief pitching in baseball is a 1970s-onwards phenomenon). What a pitcher. What a pitch. He is about the only player in pinstripes since Donnie Baseball that I actually like.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Good retort. I like your honesty and clarity of thought.

Mariano Rivera is, bar none, the single greatest baseball player of my lifetime. This includes Tony Gwynn, Roberto Alomar, Rod Carew, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, etc, etc, etc. The way he takes command of a baseball game is mesmerizing. Even more so that he does it with just one pitch. ONE PITCH! He has become the most dominant closer of any era (a hollow honour as specialty relief pitching in baseball is a 1970s-onwards phenomenon). What a pitcher. What a pitch. He is about the only player in pinstripes since Donnie Baseball that I actually like.

Yep. But what a pitch. To think I initially thought closers were totally over-rated (well maybe they are in part, but Rivera is something else). The only Yankee on my fantasy team, and he's on pace for a career year at 42 years old. Legend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know it was only one game but Rivera looked every one of his 42 years pitching that 18th innings last night. Prior to that the A's hadn't come close to scoring a run since the 9th and Warren had pitched brilliantly for the Yankees.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I know it was only one game but Rivera looked every one of his 42 years pitching that 18th innings last night. Prior to that the A's hadn't come close to scoring a run since the 9th and Warren had pitched brilliantly for the Yankees.

I didn't last to the 18th innings yesterday(!), so didn't see it, but funny things happen in non-save situations, think there was a broken bat blooper for winning run? Intentional walk isn't like Mo though. To be honest I thought he was shot last year, but 23 saves later he's as good as ever. Wonder if his farewell tour can be rewound at all :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here