Baseball Season 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The Twins are now falling into a 'maybe next year' pattern which is fine unless we are getting slaughtered...

HOWEVER, at this time of the year we start looking at the prospects on the roster and the big name right now is...

Aaron Hicks!

Rookie had an awful awful first month in baseball but in May he has exploded. For the FIFTH time in two weeks last night he caught a ball heading for a home run and then went up to bat and homered himself.

Watch out! Hicks looks the real deal!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You’ll have a great time. The build up starts on the 4 train to 161[SUP]st[/SUP] Street. Suggest you buy your beers before / after the game as the prices in Yankee Stadium are outrageous – it’s pissy US beer, they ID you and limit you to 2 beers per person. Should be a great atmosphere as the Yankees and Red Sox have kissed and made up after the Yankees played the Red Sox theme – ‘Sweet Caroline’ – following the bombings in Boston. Weather in NYC is a bit mixed at the minute but weekend should be good. One thing you will notice is how many people don’t really watch the game, they eat, drink, chat, go for a slash etc – then watch the video replay if they miss anything important. It’s also interesting seeing how many people have left before the end of the 9[SUP]th[/SUP] innings – sounds familiar, BAD FANS!!

Enjoy

Im in New York for 10 days... any suggestions for what else to do? Currently i just have wondering the city sun bathing if its hot and plenty of drinking.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
No problem sunbathing – heat wave in the low 90s forecast for next 3 or 4 days with high humidity. A few bars worth visiting –

Jimmy’s Corner just off Times Square, cheapest prices in midtown and probably narrowest bar in NYC. Good mix of New Yorkers, business types and tourists, owned by an ex boxing coach with a Russian wife behind the bar who can be wonderfully rude when she wants to be

Nevada Smiths – best soccer bar in town. Just moved to new premises showing games from around the world

Foleys Bar just by the Empire State. Definite stop for Albion fans, at least 4 shirts with one signed shirt, framed and on prominent display. Say Hi to Shaun the owner who is an Albion supporter. Also stacks of baseball memrobilia.

Outside of the usual tourist stuff check out the High Line on the West Side, Take a trip to Governors Island – free ferry gets you out of the heat of the city, picnic area with hammocks, beer garden and great views of Lower Manhattan and Statue of Liberty. Red Bulls are playing this Saturday if you fancy a soccer fix – tickets about $30 and Stadium is 25 minutes from the World Trade Center. It’s worth buying ‘Time Out’ as that has all this week’s listings and free stuff.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Poor Old Rockies. Fancy coming up against that Cardinal pitching in this form.

Last night Shelby Miller gives up a lead off hit, then proceeds to send the next 27 batters back to the dugout.
This afternoon Adam Wainwright takes a no hitter in to the 8th and end up with a 2 hit shut out.

Awesome :bowdown:

Great debut by Wacha tonight. What a shame for him that the bullpen blew the win.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Great result by the Mets - clean sweep in the Subway Series. Another embarrassing low for the Yankees !!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Great debut by Wacha tonight. What a shame for him that the bullpen blew the win.

Edward Mujica had pitched four nights in a row, so was rested. Amazing that Boggs was given another save chance after his implosions earlier in the season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My Twins have bounced back from an horrendous 11-game losing streak to sweep the Brewers 4-0. Wooo.
\o/

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
The Mariners (who normally suck) are doing surprisingly well in Spring Training, not sure if it will translate into the regular season though. I shall keep an eye on them until they fizzle out and then hope the Nats can repeat the success of last year.

i just started watching more games throughout the season and i have naturally been leaning towards the padres, so i've stuck with them

i do also follow the angels though, because they have mike trout, who's amazing, and has an even more amazing name

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Embarassing low? Look at your own house first, 22-29 with only the awful fish below you, Yankees 30-23 and just two games back from the RedSox in AL East. Considering the injuries, Yankees are having an excellent season.

:)
For a lot of New Yorkers the Subway Series is the equivalent of the Brighton / Palace fixtures – the only result that matters. And the Yankees blew it big time – and after all the money they spent that is embarrassing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
For a lot of New Yorkers the Subway Series is the equivalent of the Brighton / Palace fixtures – the only result that matters. And the Yankees blew it big time – and after all the money they spent that is embarrassing.

Losing is never nice, but I expected us to lose all season so I'm not going to let the Mets fluking a ninth inning of Mo spoil this delightful surprise of a year. Sox over the weekend, that'll be interesting.

You might have noticed that the Yankees have always spent money, but the current crop are hardly the richest, Lyle Overbay, David Adams, Jayson Nix and the like must be one of the lowest paid sides in the Majors. Heck the Angels are even paying Vernon Wells for us :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interested in getting into Baseball since reading Moneyball. Can't be arsed to read through all 14 pages of this straight away but will do soon so in the mean time can you watch live games online or only ESPN?

The official MLB website seems to carry live online games. I got a heads up a couple of months back that the Twins were on as the selected freebie, and camped down for an enthralling 9th innings walk-off win against (I think) the Tigers.

I dunno if there's any advanced schedule available as to what they're going to show free online though. I'd love to know when they're on next though.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Interested in getting into Baseball since reading Moneyball. Can't be arsed to read through all 14 pages of this straight away but will do soon so in the mean time can you watch live games online or only ESPN?

go onto the mlb website in the evening if you are free (they play pretty much every night) - there's a list of games that are currently on, down the left hand side, one of them will say 'mlb free game' so just find out when its on, click on the game and go to video, then watch online (or something similar) and voila, you are watching high quality baseball on your laptop, or on your tv if you have an hdmi cable etc

if you have espn america its on nearly every evening which is sweet when im at my parents house (who have espn)

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The official MLB website seems to carry live online games. I got a heads up a couple of months back that the Twins were on as the selected freebie, and camped down for an enthralling 9th innings walk-off win against (I think) the Tigers.

I dunno if there's any advanced schedule available as to what they're going to show free online though. I'd love to know when they're on next though.
Thanks for the info I guess the first free online game I watch will determine who I will support forthwith unless anyone else can offer some solid advice on an alternative

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
go onto the mlb website in the evening if you are free (they play pretty much every night) - there's a list of games that are currently on, down the left hand side, one of them will say 'mlb free game' so just find out when its on, click on the game and go to video, then watch online (or something similar) and voila, you are watching high quality baseball on your laptop, or on your tv if you have an hdmi cable etc

if you have espn america its on nearly every evening which is sweet when im at my parents house (who have espn)
Thanks for that and I guess it is IPad friendly as the Missus will probably be watching some boring saga on the man telebox. Mind you she is away for the next 10 days so it could be a baseball feast for me now the footy season is all but over

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for the info I guess the first free online game I watch will determine who I will support forthwith unless anyone else can offer some solid advice on an alternative
Best support the Washington Nat'nals.
They are unlikely to lose another game this season.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports