Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2013

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
BTW, congratulations are in order to Kalimantan Gull on finishing top in the inaugural season of the NSC Fantasy Baseball League.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great to see the Rangers get dispatched last night, and it's great to know that the Angels with their losing season will be watching the mighty Athletics go toe to toe with ther Tigers.

My final 4 - Red Sox, Tigers, Cards, Pirates, but it really is hard to call and still wide open.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
First post-season in 20 years for the Pirates, and they looked great tonight. Their stadium was buzzing. Can they beat the Cards? With their bullpen its possible - but the NL is really open this year.

Dodgers have the starting pitching; Cards the batting and probably strongest on paper; Braves are the dullest team left in it but with the best NL record; Pirates seem to have some momentum.

In the AL RedSox are surely the strong favourites, they've got the whole package.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
First post-season in 20 years for the Pirates, and they looked great tonight. Their stadium was buzzing. Can they beat the Cards? With their bullpen its possible - but the NL is really open this year.

Dodgers have the starting pitching; Cards the batting and probably strongest on paper; Braves are the dullest team left in it but with the best NL record; Pirates seem to have some momentum.

In the AL RedSox are surely the strong favourites, they've got the whole package.

Saw the Red Sox a few weeks ago and they really did look strong. Agree they'll be heading to the World Series, and think they'll be tough to beat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Cards kicking Pirate butt, 7 runs in the third there.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If anyone's interested, quite a game here at Fenway Park last night. Detroit are clearly as good if not better than the Red Sox and won the first game of this series and were 5-0 up in the second one.

So when David "Big Papi" Ortiz - a gigantic bear of a man whose "this is our fu*king city" speech memorably went out live on telly the day after the Boston bombing - hits a huge slogging grand slam home run to level the score - AND some bloke implausibly called Torii falls head first over the wall trying to catch it, well it was quite a moment. A David Gower-esque cover drive later won it for Red Sox. (I saw none of this btw. I was asleep.)

Highlights are online at mlb.com. Frankly the sound when Papi connects is worth the entrance fee alone.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If anyone's interested, quite a game here at Fenway Park last night. Detroit are clearly as good if not better than the Red Sox and won the first game of this series and were 5-0 up in the second one.

So when David "Big Papi" Ortiz - a gigantic bear of a man whose "this is our fu*king city" speech memorably went out live on telly the day after the Boston bombing - hits a huge slogging grand slam home run to level the score - AND some bloke implausibly called Torii falls head first over the wall trying to catch it, well it was quite a moment. A David Gower-esque cover drive later won it for Red Sox. (I saw none of this btw. I was asleep.)

Highlights are online at mlb.com. Frankly the sound when Papi connects is worth the entrance fee alone.

Unbelievable. That is the baseball equivalent of Ryan Giggs scoring a hat-trick and United winning 3-2 against Arsenal in an FACup semifinal. I love the way baseball players don't celebrate a home run until they've jogged around the bases, and only rarely acknowledge the crowd.

PG

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

I’m always a bit envious of Red Sox fans – they are a fine team. A lot of neutrals would be glad to see them win this year. Although there is a choice in NYC, it really boils down to those perennial underachievers the Mets as I just cannot warm to the Yankees. I still remember when they were building the new Yankee stadium and a Red Sox supporter working for the contractor had buried a David Ortiz jersey under 2 feet of concrete hoping to put the evil eye on the evil empire. Unfortunately they found it.

jersey.190.jpg

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Unbelievable. That is the baseball equivalent of Ryan Giggs scoring a hat-trick and United winning 3-2 against Arsenal in an FACup semifinal. I love the way baseball players don't celebrate a home run until they've jogged around the bases, and only rarely acknowledge the crowd.

PG

Depends on the situation. Plenty of players jump around and celebrate big home runs in critical situations.

Bobby Thompson 1951 NL Pennant clinching game

Bill Mazeroski 1960 World Series Game 7 walk-off

Carlton Fisk 1975 World Series Game 6 walk-off

Kirk Gibson 1988 World Series Game 1 walk-off

Joe Carter 1993 World Series Game 6 walk-off (Touch 'em all Joe...)

That Joe Carter HR was my all-time favourite moment in baseball. Gibby's blast of the Eck in '88 was stuff if legends. What fantastic celebrations. Fisk waving the ball fair in '75 against the Big Red Machine is one of the most enduring baseball images of the last century.

Man I love this sport.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Blimey - big World Series drama already for the Red Sox and it's only the second inning. Including a Chuckle Brothers-esque missed catch that would have disgraced any village green cricketer.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
You've just gotta feel a bit sorry for Boston. That was a terrible way to lose such a critical game.

But when the rule is so clear, you can see that unlike football where they would rant and rave and argue and push the ref, they have to just accept they caught a tough break.

having said that LET'S GO CARDINALS !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Saltalamacchia is certainly no Varitek.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You've just gotta feel a bit sorry for Boston. That was a terrible way to lose such a critical game.

But when the rule is so clear, you can see that unlike football where they would rant and rave and argue and push the ref, they have to just accept they caught a tough break.

having said that LET'S GO CARDINALS !

That was a wonderful game with an amazing ending. I'm sure this is going 7 games, these are the two best teams in baseball and they are there because they play the game with an unrivalled committment. They're not big-hitting teams, the pitching is good but largely inexperienced, but the intensity they play with is fantastic.

I hugely admire Dustin Pedroia so I want the Sox to win, but either team will be deserved winners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here