Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Barclays in Hove closing, replacing it with Banking Van parked in graveyard

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I fully understand that some still want to bank on the high street, my point is that banks are private companies and it's up to them whether they continue to trade on the high street or not. They're not a public service, so - from their point of view - why should they retain high street banks if they can maintain their profits without them?
I take that point, but it's still shitty for those who expect to have them - or at least a branch available, especially in town.
The bank that keeps branches going will reap the rewards for the (at least) near future.
If it makes a small dent in their massive profits, the goodwill factor will surely be worth more.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
They took public money to bail them out.
True, but there's still nothing that obliges them to keep branches open.

Ultimately I think the majority will continue to reduce branches, except maybe a couple that market themselves as 'traditional' banks to attract the older generations.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
True, but there's still nothing that obliges them to keep branches open.

Ultimately I think the majority will continue to reduce branches, except maybe a couple that market themselves as 'traditional' banks to attract the older generations.
Sadly, yes, of course they will, but to the detriment of those who still rely on face-to-face interaction.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Odd isn't it Nat West/Buxton huge tourist area and it had two outside cashpoints closed in Feb this year always a queue at the cash machines along within the bank itself for service. Strange to see on The IoM so many banks all open five days a week yet few ppl waiting for customer service. Mind you as they say Daz always washer, whiter than white.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Four banks when I moved here 15 years ago.

One is now Costa's, one is a house, one's a hairdressers, and the other is empty.

But we do have a Nat West van once a month or something.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I won't have that, it serves fantastic food. I recommend the stewed chicken with rice and peas.

On the subject of Barclays in George Street, I recall one of their drones explaining the workings of their self-service machines to Mrs Not Andy Naylor in a highly condescending manner, and then smirking when Mrs NAN said 'You realise this will put you out of a job one day?' Karma's a bitch, as they say.
Harsh, and dare I suggest a little unkind? Bank staff aren't drones. They are just people working for a living. Imagine how the member of staff felt being reminded that he/she/they is being paid to put themselves out of a job.? Staff do what they are paid to do, not what they chose to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Everyone was up in arms when the train companies said they were going to shut ticket offices. Now everyone is a bit meh about high street banks closing.

Not quite sure what the difference is really?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Everyone was up in arms when the train companies said they were going to shut ticket offices. Now everyone is a bit meh about high street banks closing.

Guess there's a tipping point.......footfall has been reducing in banks for years as more and more people and functions go online, use of cash diminishes etc and the cost of running branches becomes uneconomic....but even if the vast majority can do everything they want online, there's a cohort of the population that really need (as opposed to just want) a face to face service (although great strides have been made with things like services for the visually impaired etc). Suppose the same applies to buying rail tickets. Loads more multi-bank community hubs are perhaps the answer imo (or at least part of the answer) so they are within easy reach of everyone. Simple transactions can be performed any time, and bank staff rotate so you can at some point speak to 'your' bank. Shoreham is getting one I believe (but overall planned numbers are still very limited)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Now?
Newhaven’s last bank closed a long time ago In 2012. There have been protests but the press tend to ignore them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My parents don't have smart phones, they point blank refuse to upgrade from their old dumb-phones cos they "don't want anything complicated". :rolleyes:

They're hardly complicated, just delete all the apps they're never going to use.

As for a bank, if they find a smart phone intimidating surely you're not going to let them go to a bank to discuss their finances on their own? (apologies if that sounds condescending, it's not meant to be).

Honestly can't remember the last time I went into a bank. I'm self employed and if I do get paid in cash then it gets paid in at the post office. Cheques (what's one of those!!) I can pay in on my phone. If I need anything else I can ring them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Rail is close up behind NHS as our national religion.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They're hardly complicated, just delete all the apps they're never going to use.

As for a bank, if they find a smart phone intimidating surely you're not going to let them go to a bank to discuss their finances on their own? (apologies if that sounds condescending, it's not meant to be).

Honestly can't remember the last time I went into a bank. I'm self employed and if I do get paid in cash then it gets paid in at the post office. Cheques (what's one of those!!) I can pay in on my phone. If I need anything else I can ring them.
@drew
That's all good if it works for you, but there are many who DO want/need to go into a branch, self-employed or not.
I don't 'do' online/telephone banking through choice, but my bank (Santander) still has branches locally.
My o/h banks with Barclays, and has no desire to visit a f***ed-up ice cream van (justified or ancient) in a bloody graveyard, nor travel further afield to actually deal with (shock horror) an actual 'person'.
As for trying to get through on the telephone, you'd have more luck trying to call to find out where a delivery from Evri has gone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
@drew
That's all good if it works for you, but there are many who DO want/need to go into a branch, self-employed or not.
I don't 'do' online/telephone banking through choice, but my bank (Santander) still has branches locally.
My o/h banks with Barclays, and has no desire to visit a f***ed-up ice cream van (justified or ancient) in a bloody graveyard, nor travel further afield to actually deal with (shock horror) an actual 'person'.
As for trying to get through on the telephone, you'd have more luck trying to call to find out where a delivery from Evri has gone.
Out of interest, why do you choose not to use online banking? A lot of the mundane stuff is just so easy, paying bills, transferring money to family etc etc.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Out of interest, why do you choose not to use online banking? A lot of the mundane stuff is just so easy, paying bills, transferring money to family etc etc.
Simply from mistrust. The potential for fraud is far greater than actually taking the trouble to visit in person, and I will continue in that vein for as long as possible.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Simply from mistrust. The potential for fraud is far greater than actually taking the trouble to visit in person, and I will continue in that vein for as long as possible.
Do you not use the telephone or chip and pin cards either ? Also, Santander customers are the most likely in the UK to be victims of a banking fraud……

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Do you not use the telephone or chip and pin cards either ? Also, Santander customers are the most likely in the UK to be victims of a banking fraud……
I use contactless (which is limited) and never use telephone banking. I don't need it, so why do it?
When I make purchases I always use a credit card, rather than a debit card.
If I want to talk to an advisor, I go to a branch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why Santander out of interest and I bank with them.

Santander are fine until you actually want to talk them then it seems to go rapidly down hill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here